JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Quick question re front brakes

About to swap the front disks and pads but just a couple of items. What size allen key do I need for the calipers and will I need to wind the calipers back, if so which is the best tool to get for this.
    Cheers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Front calipers do not need to be wound back, pushing them with a G clamp or similar is fine. as for the allen key, you need a 7mm.

Oh and when you push the pistons in lossen the master cylinder cap or as you push the fluid back it will spray everywhere. It may overflow if it's full up so have some rags handy

1st Gear

Status
    Sods law I have a 6mm and an 8mm then! Yeah, read on Elsa about the fluid cap but it also mentions piston resetting but I thought a tool was only necessary for the rears.

Thanks for your help.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    yeah 7mm is rarley found in sets for some reason

1st Gear

Status
    A bit like the 18mm socket I assume you need for the caliper brackets when I have 11/16, 3/4, 17mm and 19mm!

All sorted now though, nice and simple except for the lack of tools. Went for Mintex disks and pads as a local place had them in stock on a bank holiday Monday and the existing ones (EBC Greenstuff) had gone through to the backing on one side.To be fair they had been on for 5 years which I think is pretty decent! it's nice to finally get rid of that damn pad warning light on the DIS at last too!