Using mixed lowering springs front and rear?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Is this a bad idea? It's no different to using coilovers is it, or are lowering springs made with a chassis balance in mind?

Thoughts?

Its a common thing to do if you want a specific stance, ie the front on say Eibachs are nice on the front but too low on the rear and maybe the HRs are nice on the rear but 4x4 stylie on the front, no reason to worry about mixing them mate

By mixed I assume you mean poundage rating rather than ride height?

Different ride heights are common (Eibach Pros 25mm front/20mm rear for example) but the sets are matched front to rear as this can obviously effect handling of the car...

If you are on about fronts and rears from different manufacturers etc then unless you can find out the specs to ensure the poundage etc is suitable then I would be tempted to avoid as you may find your car swapping ends round a corner if its not right...

<tuffty/>

Ok, i will add a caveat to mine, If all you want is the correct stance then no problems with swapping bits around, i can see 2 x sets of lowering springs being better than a half set of stds and half set of lowered.

For proper balanced car, you need a full matched set of shock and dampers

I was going to say... matched is best unless you know the spring rates etc etc for each set (front and rear) and they're OK for the car.

That's my concern, different spring rates front and rear, and yes, I was thinking of different brands front and rear.

The Eibachs equipped car with the lower rear is really stable powering out of corners, as the back end is planted, but the H&R's lower front end makes the car's front end more sticky, enabling you to carry more speed into corners, but the rear end can me a bit active for some, as you can provoke it to come out under the right conditions.

I've thought about going APEX, but I need a ride in one to make my decision.

Tuffty and Dnae have Apex. I do know Tufftys rides very well, stiffer than std, but still retains a suprising amount of comfort

Wietec are nice Jo, although obviously I can only go on the ones on my car and my mates Golf.

Nice and firm but not harsh at all, really nice compromise so try and track an S3 down with some fitted if you can.

That's my concern, different spring rates front and rear, and yes, I was thinking of different brands front and rear.

The Eibachs equipped car with the lower rear is really stable powering out of corners, as the back end is planted, but the H&R's lower front end makes the car's front end more sticky, enabling you to carry more speed into corners, but the rear end can me a bit active for some, as you can provoke it to come out under the right conditions.

I've thought about going APEX, but I need a ride in one to make my decision.

You know where I am bud... ;P

<tuffty/>