Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    S3 Drift King!

Status

Using mixed lowering springs front and rear?

Is this a bad idea? It's no different to using coilovers is it, or are lowering springs made with a chassis balance in mind?

Thoughts?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Its a common thing to do if you want a specific stance, ie the front on say Eibachs are nice on the front but too low on the rear and maybe the HRs are nice on the rear but 4x4 stylie on the front, no reason to worry about mixing them mate

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    By mixed I assume you mean poundage rating rather than ride height?

Different ride heights are common (Eibach Pros 25mm front/20mm rear for example) but the sets are matched front to rear as this can obviously effect handling of the car...

If you are on about fronts and rears from different manufacturers etc then unless you can find out the specs to ensure the poundage etc is suitable then I would be tempted to avoid as you may find your car swapping ends round a corner if its not right...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    there we are then Joe, a concise answer,LMAO

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Ok, i will add a caveat to mine, If all you want is the correct stance then no problems with swapping bits around, i can see 2 x sets of lowering springs being better than a half set of stds and half set of lowered.

For proper balanced car, you need a full matched set of shock and dampers

Smell my finger.

Status
    I was going to say... matched is best unless you know the spring rates etc etc for each set (front and rear) and they're OK for the car.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

S3 Drift King!

Status
    That's my concern, different spring rates front and rear, and yes, I was thinking of different brands front and rear.

The Eibachs equipped car with the lower rear is really stable powering out of corners, as the back end is planted, but the H&R's lower front end makes the car's front end more sticky, enabling you to carry more speed into corners, but the rear end can me a bit active for some, as you can provoke it to come out under the right conditions.

I've thought about going APEX, but I need a ride in one to make my decision.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Tuffty and Dnae have Apex. I do know Tufftys rides very well, stiffer than std, but still retains a suprising amount of comfort

Smell my finger.

Status
    Wietec are nice Jo, although obviously I can only go on the ones on my car and my mates Golf.

Nice and firm but not harsh at all, really nice compromise so try and track an S3 down with some fitted if you can.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That's my concern, different spring rates front and rear, and yes, I was thinking of different brands front and rear.

The Eibachs equipped car with the lower rear is really stable powering out of corners, as the back end is planted, but the H&R's lower front end makes the car's front end more sticky, enabling you to carry more speed into corners, but the rear end can me a bit active for some, as you can provoke it to come out under the right conditions.

I've thought about going APEX, but I need a ride in one to make my decision.
    You know where I am bud... ;P

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...