AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport

Thread: Brake noise

1st Gear

Status

Brake noise

Hi all,

just noticed something alittle strange, ever since i replaced my rear discs and pads i get a creeking noise from the back wheels when i press my brake pedal and my handbrake isnt the best either.

i have tried to adjust the handbrake from inside the centre console but hasnt really helped.

just wondering if my calipers have ceased. as always any help appreciated

Thanks

Tom.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just so's you're aware chief, new pads and discs take roughly 50-100 miles to bed themselves in properly, and can take longer with rear brakes, as most modern set-ups tend to favour front braking, only bringing in rear braking at a 50:50 ratio when the car's fully loaded with weight. You can get all sorts of squaks, groans and squeals with new discs and pads bedding in, and you're handbrake'll be severely lacking until they do bed in properly, so take care parking on hills/slopes! If in doubt, strip rear calipers back down, liberally apply copper grease to moving parts (should do this as standard with new brake part fittings...). When the noises have gone, or you've done around 200-300 miles, then go back and re-adjust handbrake cables. As an example, whenever I've worked on BMW 1-series' back brakes, I don't even attept to fully adjust the handbrake. I ensure everything's fitted and copper-greased, and the handbrake operates to a safe degree, speak to the guy/girl whose car it is, explain how dicey the handbrake and new pads/discs are, and ask them to come back after 300 miles for me to re-adjust their handbrake properly. Hope this helped buddy...

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the advice pal,

ive had the discs and pads in for about 500 miles, i think i'll adjust handbrake again to see how that goes.

its just a strange sound, sounds like a cable/wire under tension when i press the footbrake.

starting to question my skills now....when you rewind the caliper with the rewind tool you dont have to reset it do you?

thanks again

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    When you wind it back you are supposed to turn it back the other way half a turn to rest the handbrake..

1st Gear

Status
    oh ok i'll give it a go over the weekend. will report back when done. cheers fellas