new s3 owner, need abit of help!

rydinator

Reaction score
I bought my first S3 the other day, after owning many mk4 golfs and audi a3s 1.8 turbos, but nothing like this. 1 owner from new (company car for frazer nash research in surrey) full audi service history etc etc. I have quite abit of knowledge about the agu engines after removing my one out of my a3 rebuilding a new one etc and putting it back in so i am mechanically minded and have all tools etc, but i dont really know much about the S3's its the apy engine so 210bhp, basically i drove back from surry to the isle of wight and all was fine, but as i reached the island and took it for a proper spin and the traction control light came on and has stayed on ever since and wont turn off. I have read that this could be the maf sensor throwing this up, i have put it on vag com and the only fault coming up is... the maf sensor,

1 Fault Found:
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-00 - -
Could this be my problem? if not what else could it be?

On a side note, what modifications do people tend to go for on these?

Cheers sam

It's been known for the maf to turn the esp off I think. If it was another cause you'd most definately have a fault for it.
You may need a new maf, just check the plug, wires and contacts though

If it hasn't has a new maf ever it's probably a good idea to change it anyway, one thing not to worry about in the future

The traction control light came on when i disconected my MAF trying to find my iddle problem, so just check the connection of the MAF, even go to used part garage and try a 2nd hand one in that way you will know for definate if it needs replaced without having to spend the guts of £80 for a new one to find out it's not the problem.

A. ^ what they said
B. Modifications are pretty much anything depending on what power you are after, a remap will take you to around 250 bhp with standard internals but if that's not enough you'd probably want to go for :

- Turbo intake pipe
- 3" Downpipe
- Front Mounted intercooler
- Performance panel/ cone filter
- Cat-back larger bore exhaust
- De-cat or race cat

All of these with mapping to suit, If you are after more than that you will want to go hybrid or BT, if you search the forum you will find a load of BT builds. Personally I have found Tufty's and Welly's threads the most informing :)

Hope this helps