A3 1.8TS V's IBIZA CUPRA 1.8T

ooooaudi

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Went up against my mates newly chipped ibiza on saturday...
mine a3 1.8ts with amd rechip and miltek exhaust.
his ibiza cupra with apr rechip from awesome.

both cars more or less the same until around 80 - 90 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif then the ibiza
came past me and was the lenth of a car in front by 130 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif kph of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i am seriously thinking of gettin one of these ??
what do you recon A3 to ibiza ????

Just get more power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

power-to-weight and aerodynamics is probably what got you. Plus, doesn't the APR chip pull for that bit longer, were as the AmD tails off a bit. ?

Either get more power for the A3, or, if you don't care about badge snobbery, get yourself an Ibiza.

Also, another bit of knowledge I picked up at yesterdays rolling road meet: Drive-By-Wire (DBW) cars can generally be tuned to a little bit more BHP than "Drive-By-Cable" (DBC) cars. So if your mates Ibiza is DBW and your A3 is DBC, its likely that your mate could be pushing out 205-210bhp, and you only 180-196bhp. Add that to the lower weight of the Ibiza, he would gradually come past you.

I bet this was on the A580! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AL

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Got it in one - past the shell station in astly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
yeah you where right, mines non DBW and his is DBW, I recon it is a lot to do with the weight.. i had optimax in aswell, he diddent and he had the air con on ??? and still won /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
think i'll save up and get me a S3 whith that jabba kit on it, 330 bhp, i'll have him then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah. As long as he doesn't go out and buy the Jabba kit too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is he coming to the rolling road meet or what? I need to know.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
matt said:
Went up against my mates newly chipped ibiza on saturday...
mine a3 1.8ts with amd rechip and miltek exhaust.
his ibiza cupra with apr rechip from awesome.

both cars more or less the same until around 80 - 90 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif then the ibiza
came past me and was the lenth of a car in front by 130 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif kph of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i am seriously thinking of gettin one of these ??
what do you recon A3 to ibiza ????

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the Ibia has the newer engine (DBW & VVT), and also i thik it has the K03S turbo not the K03. So he probably has morepower. A mates m8 has a ibiza 1.8T on APR chip and is punching out 210bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rich

Those Ibizas can be pretty swift. I remember getting a run in Jims at Star Performance. It was rapid, probably quicker than my S3 once moving.

Being quicker above 80-90 surely doesn't mean that much though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any other way to get more acceleration? Lighter wheels? Does that work?

Weight wont make much difference unless its drastic... rally car style!

I actually owned a 2001 Ibiza Cupra with an Oettinger '210' conversion (chip, Milltek, Forge DV, reshaped turbo inlet pipe), 17s and uprated brakes which I swapped for the A3 as I couldn't sell the Ibiza for a reasonable price.

The problem is its a car that appeals to younger drivers but with a chip the insurance gets too high for them, which is why I found it hard to sell.
The car was very quick though, noticeably quicker than my A3 even after the 200bhp AmD remap & Milltek. It also felt quicker through the gears than a UK Impreza Turbo.
Speaking to some of the Oettinger Golf owners, they reckoned a chipped Ibiza felt as fast as a 230bhp Golf (Oettinger did a bigger turbo conversion) due to the weight difference.

Also the standard A3 is very wallowy compared to the Cupra, although now with Eibachs on and bigger wheels the A3 has higher limits before understeer comes in, and is ultimately a better chassis. The A3 ride is much better (Cupras hate rough roads) and torque steer almost non-existant on the A3, whereas with the Ibiza it was terrible - good training for a Focus RS I would imagine. And traction was poor in the wet, you could only really nail it in the dry.

A good fun car, in some ways I miss it but in others I don't.

[ QUOTE ]
paul_b said:
I actually owned a 2001 Ibiza Cupra with an Oettinger '210' conversion (chip, Milltek, Forge DV, reshaped turbo inlet pipe), 17s and uprated brakes which I swapped for the A3 as I couldn't sell the Ibiza for a reasonable price.

The problem is its a car that appeals to younger drivers but with a chip the insurance gets too high for them, which is why I found it hard to sell.
The car was very quick though, noticeably quicker than my A3 even after the 200bhp AmD remap & Milltek. It also felt quicker through the gears than a UK Impreza Turbo.
Speaking to some of the Oettinger Golf owners, they reckoned a chipped Ibiza felt as fast as a 230bhp Golf (Oettinger did a bigger turbo conversion) due to the weight difference.

Also the standard A3 is very wallowy compared to the Cupra, although now with Eibachs on and bigger wheels the A3 has higher limits before understeer comes in, and is ultimately a better chassis. The A3 ride is much better and torque steer almost non-existant on the A3, whereas with the Ibiza it was terrible - good training for a Focus RS I would imagine. And traction was poor in the wet, you could only really nail it in the dry.

A good fun car, in some ways I miss it but in others I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the Cupra 1.8T before i got my A3, but the insurance was a good £400 more expensive than the A3 which surprised me. The a3 is the cheapest out of the 150 1.8T's to insure as both the golf and the ibiza have the 'Boy Racer' image. And personally, I prefer to say i have an Audi rather than a VW/SEAT... But thats just me!

Rich