Rear fog lights

Ade_D

Reaction score
Website
www.pixworld.co.uk

I've just realised that the S3's only have a single working rear fog light.
Personally i prefer the symmetry of both of them working. I've taken the rear of the clusters apart and moved the left hand side to the other side and connected it up with a bulb fitted and it works. It must therefore be a limitation in the wiring loom.
I'm thinking of connecting it to the right hand side light so that they both work. Anyone already done this that can give any advise?

Cheers

Ade

Its easy to do on B5 A4, just make the hole in the tailight bigger to let bulb fit.

However wouldn`t do it. imo one light is safer in fog as more standout.

There are plenty of cars with two rear fog lights. My previous Fiat Tipo had two. Audi A3 8p is even worse. It only has one rear fog and one rear reversing light.
It is obviously an Audi /VW cost reduction. To hide this from the unsuspecting buyer the rear fog has a clear glass lens so that it outwardly appears that there are two reversing lights when in fact the offside light is the rear fog. I regard this as evidence of their utter contempt for the lowly indiviuals who buy their cars. Give us a break from all this crap about safety that the dealers peddle.

Yup, a lot of cars have two rear fogs and some have one. Changing yours to have two would not be illegal. Just a cost cutting measure by Audi I would think.

My car at present has just one front fog light which was a cost cutting measure by the previous owner who fitted the cheaper non fog headlight to the nearside of my car. I have complained to the garage I bought it from and they are going to fix it. Now that looks more daft than one rear fog lamp don't ya think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

IIRC the purpose of a single rear fog is to differentiate (sp?) between fog and brake lights. On cars (Such as the last model A6) where the rear fogs are noticeably different than the brake lights (A6 had 2 small rear fogs just to the outside of the license plate) then both are illuminated. But on cars like our A/S3's, the rear fog is in "basically" the same spot as the brake lights and can therefore be mistaken for them by other drivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I really can't believe that having 2 rear fog lights is illegal besides which the brake lights are lower down on the clusters. Then again i guess anythings possible these day's. The worlds gone mad but we won't go there now :).

I've fitted a bulb into the socket but it still doesn't work. If i move the fitting and connect it to the other side it does work so i'm guessing it's a limitation to the wiring loom itself.

Once it warms up a bit i think i'll connect the left hand side up to the fog light circuit on the right hand side making both rear for lights work.

With just a single rear fog light it just looks wrong!

Ade

No idea whether it's legal or not, I just remember reading somewhere that that's why they only activate one light in those circumstances /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif Of course, it couls also have something to do with the height of the A/S3 foglight. As the rear fog uses brighter bulbs, then I would imagine 2 of them at that level would go a ways towards blinding folks behind you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif