Chris NottEM Tuning
    Audi-sports own special child.

Status

After run pump and fans, not working.......

Just noticed that recently my after run pump and fans dont seem tobe working, at all.

They both used tobe intermittent but now theres nothing.

Checked all the connections and the fuese on the battery but they are all fine.

Any ideas?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    TaDa!!...
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ml#post1216691

Check the fuses on top of the battery... check my thread above

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    Already have done paul, the fuses are fine, no signs of corrosion etc.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Have you tried waggling the fuse or checked there is voltage etc getting through? Assuming the aircon no longer works either? all that gear is fed from that fuse (well the controller at least I think)... it could be the controller or a shared earth but all of that stuff is connected so it will be something related to the power supply or the controller I suspect

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    Checked aircon and that works fine, although when the aircon first comes on theres a squeeling noise, like the sound of a slipping fan belt for the first few seconds then it goes.
    I havent checked to see if powers going to the pump and fans, need to check that.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    the squeeling noise could be the smaller fan (low speed one I think) as I have had similar in the past... I could find the source at first and only found it when Bill started my car once on the dyno while I had my head under the bonnet...

Fans should come on regardless when aircon is on, after run pump could just have failed as I have seen this on other VAGs including a facelift S3

<tuffty/>

Status
    TBH the outer casing looks very worn, are they dear to buy? Never seen a thread regarding one failing i dont think.

1st Gear

Status
    The continued cooling pump is very dear,100+,mine was leaking pretty bad and also only working intermittently so it's off at the mo. You say the aircon is working though, are the fans not on when the aircon is on?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Changed one recently on a local S3... it was leaking though... best bet is to test if power is getting to the thing first... if not then it may not be the pump...

Process of elimination at the moment... also check the voltage at the fuse box on top of the battery too... it may not have corroded the fuse but if it got hot at all in its life it may well have melted inside the fuse box causing the problem...

<tuffty/>

Status
    Good call, will check it out tuesday as im off work , car loving day.

Not checked that dave, will do.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I took my afterrun pump apart dan cleaned it and it's working fine now,
    I think they just get stuck

3rd Gear

Status
    My afterrun pump doesn't seem to be working either, any guides on removal and cleaning?

found this pic, might be helpful for someone
    Last edited by Jonesy; 18th April 2011 at 18:14.
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone know what controls or determines when the after-run pump should come on as mine seems a bit random sometimes it runs sometimes it doesn`t..ie does it kick in at a certain temperature similar to the main cooling fans..

1st Gear

Status
    I'm not sure when it runs (if at all) while the engine is running but it should kick in when you turn the engine off and run for 10 minutes or so.

Removal and cleaning is a doddle, 2 water connections a plug and 2 screws to hold it to the chassis, then there are 4 screws in the end cap, take that off and the impeller is inside. It's not connected to anything, just sits magnetically in a socket.

Neutral

Status
    Ah I see thanks for that David I do notice that if do a short run ie less than 10mins it is running anything longer then it isnt the pump runs quiet and all fuses etc look clean no melting etc just wasnt sure if it kicked in similar to radiator fans..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    My afterrun pump doesn't seem to be working either, any guides on removal and cleaning?

found this pic, might be helpful for someone
    I have a similar problem the pump is running after engine off but no fans are spinning and ive blown my 50a fuse on but according to the diagram aboved its the secondar A.I.R or coolant pre heating fuse that has blown, err help! Something is tripping it related to cooling fans surely?

TIA
    2009 S3 8P Phantom Black
    MODS : S3 Keyring