After run pump and fans, not working.......

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Just noticed that recently my after run pump and fans dont seem tobe working, at all.

They both used tobe intermittent but now theres nothing.

Checked all the connections and the fuese on the battery but they are all fine.

Any ideas?

Already have done paul, the fuses are fine, no signs of corrosion etc.

Have you tried waggling the fuse or checked there is voltage etc getting through? Assuming the aircon no longer works either? all that gear is fed from that fuse (well the controller at least I think)... it could be the controller or a shared earth but all of that stuff is connected so it will be something related to the power supply or the controller I suspect

<tuffty/>

Checked aircon and that works fine, although when the aircon first comes on theres a squeeling noise, like the sound of a slipping fan belt for the first few seconds then it goes.
I havent checked to see if powers going to the pump and fans, need to check that.

the squeeling noise could be the smaller fan (low speed one I think) as I have had similar in the past... I could find the source at first and only found it when Bill started my car once on the dyno while I had my head under the bonnet...

Fans should come on regardless when aircon is on, after run pump could just have failed as I have seen this on other VAGs including a facelift S3

<tuffty/>

TBH the outer casing looks very worn, are they dear to buy? Never seen a thread regarding one failing i dont think.

The continued cooling pump is very dear,£100+,mine was leaking pretty bad and also only working intermittently so it's off at the mo. You say the aircon is working though, are the fans not on when the aircon is on?

Changed one recently on a local S3... it was leaking though... best bet is to test if power is getting to the thing first... if not then it may not be the pump...

Process of elimination at the moment... also check the voltage at the fuse box on top of the battery too... it may not have corroded the fuse but if it got hot at all in its life it may well have melted inside the fuse box causing the problem...

<tuffty/>

Good call, will check it out tuesday as im off work :), car loving day.

Not checked that dave, will do.

My afterrun pump doesn't seem to be working either, any guides on removal and cleaning?

found this pic, might be helpful for someone
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what controls or determines when the after-run pump should come on as mine seems a bit random sometimes it runs sometimes it doesn`t..ie does it kick in at a certain temperature similar to the main cooling fans..

I'm not sure when it runs (if at all) while the engine is running but it should kick in when you turn the engine off and run for 10 minutes or so.

Removal and cleaning is a doddle, 2 water connections a plug and 2 screws to hold it to the chassis, then there are 4 screws in the end cap, take that off and the impeller is inside. It's not connected to anything, just sits magnetically in a socket.

Ah I see thanks for that David I do notice that if do a short run ie less than 10mins it is running anything longer then it isnt the pump runs quiet and all fuses etc look clean no melting etc just wasnt sure if it kicked in similar to radiator fans..

My afterrun pump doesn't seem to be working either, any guides on removal and cleaning?

found this pic, might be helpful for someone
Untitled.jpg

I have a similar problem the pump is running after engine off but no fans are spinning and ive blown my 50a fuse on but according to the diagram aboved its the secondar A.I.R or coolant pre heating fuse that has blown, err help! Something is tripping it related to cooling fans surely?

TIA