Boost leak.

markthenewt

Reaction score
Hi guys...

This is my first turbo car so don't know much about them.

I thought the sound I get when flooring it is the turbo, the sound I get is like a pssssssssssh noise, like blowing sound... is this a boost leak?

Cheers

Not necessarily, best thing to do is pop the bonnet with the engine on and listen for any hissing and see if you can do a visual check to see if you can see any split pipes....do you get any jerkiness when you floor it or any engine management lights on the dash??

Can't hear any hissing with the bonnet open nor is there any splits in the pipes that I can see, however I have not managed to check the pipe going to the intercooler properly as it's too tight to get in, really need the front end off to check that eh?

No management lights on either now (repleyed in other thread) but I do get a hesitation if I drive it slow... just before the turbo kicks in it like holds back for a split second then carrys on fine.

The pssssssssssh i get when above 2000 rpm is the turbo spooling up, if i lift off it stops.

DC

It's just turbo spool up mate nothing to worry about. Upgrade the TIP (Turbo Intake Pipe) with a Jetex air filter and hear the spool up noise you get with that! ;)