The TQS Owners thread

Reesy

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A thread for all things TQS related:

Seeing as we seem to need bits of A3's and bits of S3's, might as well compile all the info in this thread.

Carrying on from the other thread Paul, are you going GT28/30, otherwise how are you going to get the 3'' Downpipe onto our non 3'' turbo?

i duno at the moment would like to go with the gt 28 or 30 but its still a daily runnner and after a vr6 once sort garage out for a track car the 3" down pipe will come off the manifold then onto the 200cell cat and carry on down the system its been done loads of times m8. my other sugestion was ko3s hybrid but looking at wellys thread on a hybrid seems a bit of a ball ache and also the issue with the bottom ends of the 1.8t spitting out con rods if i dont end up doing the track car will get another engine strip and rebuild and can do all forged internals to that and big turbo this way can still use my car while building that its what i did with my last car 106 gti took 2 months to build up the new engine including saving for parts.

as it stands at the mo will probs go stage 1 with this coil overs and exhaust few other bits and that make it look better then spend rest on the track car.

Sorry mate, so just to clarify: The 3'' will downpipe will fit straight onto our OEM manifolds?

Also, if you go 28 or 30, you'll still have to change the rods, as they are not done by turbo, but by bhp I thought. And whatever different turbo you get is still going to push the stock rods...

And I meant to ask, where are you getting a catch can for £20 from?

it will fit onto oem but for the sake of £170 will get a free flow manifold from awesome.

haha the catch can im making for free its £20 for the piping i need including bends and t pieces

im hopeing for 235-240bhp out of k03s standard rods will hold this
if i go down gt 28 or 30 will probs be looking at getting towards 400bhp so rods will be defo but it all in the pipe line at the mo as soon as i get every thing sorted coilovers exhaust tip and few other bits and remap if it get 235-240 will be very happy, if turbo goes will start looking down big turbo route

If the can goes well, let me know as I will do the same. Saves spending £90 on one...

i know all the can has to do it collect oil deposit and you tip it out just carnt justify £90 on a can if you look at the vw boys they use coke cans it does the same job

I've got my eye on a downpipe and sports cat but it's 3'' and my cat back is 2.5''. I might have a look into a reducer until funds allow getting the rest of the system in 3''.

Do you have a link to the downpipe ??? ive asked about this before but never got an answer,,, will the normal 3" downpipes you see for K03/S tubo's fit our cars ?? because i'm sure i read somewhere that it would hit the transfer case for the 4 wheel drive that the normal A3's don't have and you can't fit an S3 downpipe because it bolts to the side of the turbo rather than underneath it.... i'm currently running an S3 exhaust system on my TQS but could only fit it from the cats back.... i would really like a nice sized downpipe but have never been able to find anything other than getting somthing custom made

I think the one I have been looking at is for the KO3 as well. I knew I had read about exhaust problems for us, which is annoying. It would be interesting to find out if all of us went to the same place for a full system, whether they would do any discount?

the problem is that yes these downpipes will it our turbos (k03 or ko3s's what ever you've got) but the prop shaft (which the fwd a3's dont have) gets in the way so the only way is to get one of these -

Audi TT 180Q 3" Downpipe - Street Series

which ends up being close to £500 inc import tax

or go and get one custom made from a local exhaust company, not sure which route im going to take as im having second thoughts about going hybrid as 280bhp just doesnt seem all that much for the ammount of money it will cost.

i think all the tqs owners should list their current spec so that others can possibly learn from what we've done to our cars? i.e - how hard is it to fit coilies or a TIP etc?

doh just realised marky covered the downpipe fitting issue already! lol

What I'm saying is if someone had a reputable custom exhaust maker by them, if we all wanted the same thing, we could try and get a discount for getting a couple/3...

I will be looking to get a TIP soon, (probably forge), have either of you get one?

Yeah that's not a bad idea we have infinity exhausts here I'll be popping up for a quote soon so will keep you posted.

And yup I've got a black forge tip on mine, made a decent improvement plus the enhanced turbo noise is a bonus :D

I don't think mine needs anymore Turbo noise, it's ;loud enough as it is, but the more air I can get to the turbo, the better... What FMIC are you using mate?

regarding the 3" down pipe i can see why u all question it they all have to be custom made that is what i am getting done in july some time.
fitting coilovers they dont look to bad but you will need tie arms so the camber is set right and the silicone tip should be the allen key onto the turbo and 4 conecting pipes coming off it

mig performance in walsal i will be taking mine or blue flame in stockport

Will blueflame do a custom job? I thought they only did their set products? Also, if you weren't getting your's done for a couple of months that'd suit me perfectly.. What's the ride like on your coilies compared to stock, and did you get rear tie arms?

Last edited:
not got the coilovers yet get them on 11th june did the rear drop links yesterday only one other bolt holding the shocks in once this was removed so seamed a simple job just the wheel alignment would be the pain thats why im taking it awesome so they can set the whole thing up in june.

as far as i know one of the lads who come out with me works there will have to ask him, other than that will go mig in walsal did my bro's beemer and did top job had a quote for £800 for full 3" system including 200cell cat and 3" downpipe

ive got raceland coilies and the ride is ok, i havent got the rear arms fitted yet and im not having any camber issues at all. quite an easy job to do, the rears are a piece of **** but the fronts can be a pain as you have to take the topmount gear off your original shocks etc but if i were to do it again id just buy new topmount kits ready to go with the new coilies.

the tip is a sod to fit as the gearbox is in the way so its dead hard to get your hands in there to fasten a jubalee clip around the turbo inlet but totally worth it, get a carbonio aswell and it sounds evil on boost

im using a toyosports fmic kit, the one thats in about 8 pieces, deffo the best budget cooler around, and you get bigger bore pipework than the other kits

Did you manage to keep the fogs, or did you have to lose them, Quattro1?? Also, didn't you have the pipework over the top of your engine, or was that Paul?

nah i had to ditch the fogs, i think smaller pipework would have meant i could have kept them though but id rather have better flow than a pair of lights that are pretty much illegal to use 99% of the time lol.
yeah my pipework goes over the engine, most a3 kits do because of the position of the throttle body.

doesnt look that bad, looks abit neater with the engine cover on

070cd166.jpg

Have you got any pics with the engine cover on? I'd like to keep the car the way it is, although I could probably sacrifice the fogs, as I never use them anyway..

were does the pipe go as mine is all hidden apart from the pipes sticking out the front, the carbonio filter does sound nice but dont fancy risking is when it rains and hit a nice big puddle and it sucks it all back into the engine

I've got a K&N and its a nightmare because you can't give the engine bay a proper clean as I don't want to get anywater into it, I will be putting the stock airbox back on soon, with a pipercross filter.

The pipework for quattro1's fmic is a couple of posts up, Paul.

just wondering where the alloy pipe that is near the maf goes does it go into the tip?

I've got a K&N and its a nightmare because you can't give the engine bay a proper clean as I don't want to get anywater into it, I will be putting the stock airbox back on soon, with a pipercross filter.

The pipework for quattro1's fmic is a couple of posts up, Paul.

K&N are bad filters for the audi as you have to use the oil to clean them which kills the maf i would still have open cone just change it for a dry element which doesnt need oiling to clean and maintain.

Hks mushroom filter (which i have)
green cotton filter are ment to be a great filter had one on my 106 gti
jetex filter is another good filter
piper cross hmm not heard much about i know alot of people dont like it because the foam collects loads of dirt and is a pain to clean.

How do you clean yours then? As they would still need cleaning. Not sure on those mushroom cones, they look a but weird. A lot of the S3 boys use the Jetex ones from badger 5, but I'm not sure if they fit onto ours

you just change the element every 6 months which costs about £5 get a great induction noise from it due to the size of the filter plus its flat at the back reducing the rear intake of heat and more intake from the pipe going directly to the face of it

Cheers mate, there's another thing to add to the list!!

Just looking at your sig, and you should PM S3dave to see if his rear tie arms will fit the A3 as well, as you could pay to have them fitted (if awesome wouldn't do it) and you'd still save money over the forge ones, and apparently his ones are just as good.

Your A3 has a pretty nice stance already, how come your after coilies?

Last edited:
awesome are fitting them for free as they are doing the coilovers at same time want it lower about a 40-50mm drop it sits a bit to high also h8 the s3 suspension to wooley looked at spring and damper kits but then have a certain ride height where as the coilovers can adjust it to the height i want.

the turbo project aint goin ahead building up a tarck car instead soon as the rents let me have the garage back probs a 172 clio or a vr6 is on the cards but i was looking at a bike also but dont think is can be bothered redoning a test and theory again for something i will end up falling off.

can i ask how come you want the cruise control ive never rearly noticed it doing much.

still dont know what my fmic is but the pipes are autobahn88 and the clips dont know if they do a fmic kit will have to have a look

It might be worth looking at Daves tie arms anyway mate, as i think his are around £100 quid cheaper, although it'd be more hassle getting them done separately I guess.

Shame about the hybrid not going ahead, I have toyed with the idea of a track car in the next few years, but for me, i thought it's a hell of a lot of expense, for something that will only get used once every month/two months. At least with the hybrid A3 it's a daily buzz!

I had cruise on my last corsa sri, and to be honest I only use it on motorways, but it's perfect for those nasty 50mph average speed cameras, as you only have to cough and you're up to 60odd, plus when you are sat at 70 :lmfao:, it just stops your speed from creeping up

i know but i know the car will be reliable by not having the hybrid the track car will be used quiet a bit as it will still be slightly road legal so can use it on the roads wont be putting loads of money into it just enough so it feesible for track once get experiance for track will probs look at getting race licence and do some racing which will keep my adrenaline habit going lol

What you got your eyes on, something similar to Prawn? Or a completely different route.

I would have liked to had a track car that I was able to use on the road, but insurance is bad enough for me on 1 car, so two would mean I'd have to sell my soul!

I've got to ask, how much did it cost you to get the car sprayed (if you don't mind saying), and did you do a proper engine out job, or is just the outer body? I always assumed it was a bit of a hassle, as you have to get all the paperwork changed over etc.

probs on similar line to prawn put will contain no dash board or anything just stearing wheel and digi dials and seats with cage and harnesses.

i will insure it every time take it out works out to £10 per day.

the respary was done before i bought the car it was not bad job i had to respray the engine bay as that was missed and in the boot need s doing, probs looking about 2k for it to be done again as its 3 stage paint

I have a 1.8 TQS! Its on Apex springs at the moment, some rubbish 18" RS6/S Line reps, bit of audio stuff.

Thinking about getting it re-mapped soon, but also considering getting an 8P or Mk5 Golf in a few months, so might curb the spending

why a 8p or mk5 golf what dont you like about the 8l

I think the 8L is nicer looking then the MK5 golf, plus there is no 4wd unless you get an R32 (£££££) or a 2.0t quattro a3 8P is also pretty big bucks

The prefacelift 8L looks much more dated than the Mk5, plus the Mk5 is much better built. I just fancy a newer car to be honest, as my A3 is far from mint, needs a full respray, new wheels, suspension needs changing, interior is tired, etc. Just seems stupid to throw money at an 11 year old car and not increase its worth at all, where as if I get a nice 8P Sport, few S-line/S3 goodies and it should go up in value slightly