The TQS Owners thread

I like the thought of having an S3 beating 'stealthy A3', but at the same time don't want to sound like one of those people who say, 'well it's an a3 but it's actually faster then an s3...' because then you just sound like a penis, when you have to explain your car to people

This might sound like typical s3 a3 drivel but...

Changing from an a3 tqs to s3 is a no brainer IMO I did it and I dont regret it for a second. Wider arches/more presence, better seats/better interior, Xenons, it's easily made faster, the k04 spools up that little bit later for town driving, the exhaust note is better. Even round my way where there are lots of active ASN users I still barely see 1 S3 every 2 weeks (excluding Tufftys and Wellys). And an S3 with a B5 Tip and remap c. £450-500 for 278 brake is hard to ignore IMO

My A3 tqs was good, my s3 is better.

Plus every now and again I see a noggie blue s3 with a smoking hot chick driving.... she waves at me..... cus I have an s3... :cool:

Last edited:
yeah but s3's are heavier and it seems that friggin everything comes at an extra cost just because of the S in its name lol plus in bristol it seems like the only cars anyone ever buys are s3's and civic type R's theyr ****** everywhere!!

dont get me wrong i do love the s3's wider stance, it would be nice to have that but i dunno, something about having a 300+bhp a3 seems pretty cool, people expect s3's to be quick, not so much with a3's :yum:

Might wait until September when my insurance is up for renewal, then have a look what's about..

And who wants 5 speed anyway!!

I had my TQS next to 'The Doctor's S3, his arches are definitely wider.

ant, changed my lower arm balljoints on sunday and the shocking body roll that i had has pretty much gone! have a look and see how yours are lookin!

one slight problem with the pics wrestle didnt get on after bought car didnt even get mot or service book had to dig it all myself so aint got the pics.

the arches must look wider because of the colour when do the calipers will measure from the hub to the arch so can see what they are and do same on m8s a3

i would stick with the a3 reesyboy but its your choice i would like an s3 but with mine been reprayed i think there is only a handfull of audi a3 or s3 in liquid yellow so im sticking wit the a3

The only thing putting me off is that I've done pretty much everything to my car now,maintenance wise, and if I get an S3 I'll have to start all over again..Plus I don't want to turn into an S3 owning snob.. :lmfao:

How much were the lower arm ball joints ste? And were they easy to fit mate?

they were £35 for the pair from audi, i didnt wanna get cheap ones because i think they play a decent part in the feel of the car.

as for fitting they were dead easy, i was doing the cv joints at the time wich probably made it easier because the top nut is stupidly tight against the drive shaft! if your thinking of doing it ill knock together a little guide :)

ahhh yours is a 6 speed is it chris? doesnt it get annoying having to change gear twice to get to 60?! lol :p

A little guide would be great mate, as I have the car in bits in that area anway? What did they do to the car, reduce some of the body roll?

And yeah it's a 6 speed mate, but I don't slot into top gear until about 120mph...

Im sure my 5spd will do near 120 in 4th. I know it does 90 in 3rd

I wouldn't mind being able to do 60 in 2nd, but at the same time I can be doing 80mph at about 2500 revs in top, which is nice on a long run

Looking at some S3 rear brakes now aswell, but the bloke wants £160 quid, just for the calipers + carriers. I can't see it being worth it for that sort of money. Opinions?

dont think the rear brake change makes much difference im sure ive read it somewhere on ere it only accounts for something like 20% of overall braking.

I thought it was around 20-30%, cheers Paul. Was me being a ponce really, and at first I thought I was getting a good deal, but factoring in the cost of discs as well, I'm probably going to leave it.

Although, another inch of disc sitting behind the wheels wouldn't look too bad...

Any updates to yours recently, Paul?

you dont need the rear carriers mate, just 10mm spacers on the original carriers.

how much of a difference has the front brakes made?? massively noticable?

not rearly going in for full service on wednesday

oil and filter
gearbox oil
fuel filter
haldex oil and filter
spark plugs
pollen filter

and its going to ford of all places lol m8 works there doing it on cheap plus the 5/30 oil is what the zetecs use so thats free hehe

you dont need the rear carriers mate, just 10mm spacers on the original carriers.

how much of a difference has the front brakes made?? massively noticable?

Cars not back on the road yet, went to put the new track rod end onto the car on Sat, and the new one went straight over the thread.. So back to the suppliers and hopefully getting the parts in today/early tomorrow, and should have the car back tomorrow at the latest...

Cheers Westle, definitely going to leave the brakes, I bet no one else would have even noticed apart from me anyway..

Also, Ste from what I read on the A3/S3 brake thread, it says that the caliper + carrier bolts straight on, and doesn't mention keeping the original carriers at all.. Where did you hear this?

hmmm i cant find the thread now!! some dude was making his a3 look as much like an S as possible and had a guide on brakes lol

does the caliper and carrier just bolt up then? both of the bleed nipples have broken off of my rears so s3 rears would probably be a decent replacement :)

As far as I'm aware, with a slight mod of the splash guard, they fit straight on

sweet cheers, was that on ebay you found the ones you were gonna get?

They were through another item on ebay, as they were local to me.. If the bloke goes to what I want I might have them, but my offer is taking the **** a bit, so if he says no, do you want me to link you to him..

Also there are a few sets knocking about on ebay, with all new bits for about £280, if that helps you at all..

hmm i dont think i'll be buying them just yet as costs for the turbo are mounting up!! lol :) i was expecting them to be abit more expensive than that + a ball ache to fit so nice to know thats not the case! cheers for the info mate

No probs, I am going a bit crazy on mine at the moment. Next on the list is Golf aero arms + wipers and the Polo Rear arm/wiper setup. I've been looking at doing the Polo rear for a while, but Westle was kind enough to PM me the parts for the fronts as well, and I quite like the look of it.

yeah i was gona go down the same wiper route chris but weight saving won over and i removed the rear completely lol :)

im doing a mates bottom arm ball joint tomorrow so will try my best to snap some step by step pics and put a quick guide together for you

you can get a full 2.5" standard s3 exhaust for like £50 on ebay mucker, thats what i'll be using soon!

What are you doing about a downpipe mate, as surely you'll need a better flowing one then the stocker?

yeah unfortunately it looks like i'll have to either import one from the stated $500! or get one made, wanting to keep it as quiet and stealthy as possible though hense the s3 exhaust! :)

so annoying that they dont make cheap downpipes for the tqs like they do for other a3's and even s3's :(

When are you thinking about getting one? If you could give me about a months notice, I'd happily get one as well, and see if a garage will give us a bit of a better price for getting 2 done.

thats a good idea! when would you be looking at getting one? im in no rush, i need to get a few little bits and bobs for the turbo but will hold off and get a dp done when it suits you? luckily, if i get a dp made for my car as it stands now, it will still bolt straight up to the gt28 :) so just let me know when you had in mind and we'll arrange something! :)