A3 Stereo?

GarryX

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can advise on this problem.Got my A3 last January and ive never been able to get AM on my radio and now FM reception is very crackly.Been told it might be an aerial base but not having much knowlegde of cars in general i wouldnt know what or how to fix it.
Any help would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is it the original Concert head unit?
If so it is most likely the antenna amp. Depending on the year, most A3's have the amp in the head unit. Early models had the amp in the bee-sting aerial base, but when these amps started to fail it was a major job to strip the headlining and replace the aerial that they changed it for the HU amp. I would buy the external antenna amp and just give that a try as it is relatively cheap and easy to fit, otherwise you're looking at either replacing the bee-sting or the HU, neither of which are particularly cheap.

That may explain why my Kenwood reception was a lot worse when I took the original Concert out of my 1998 A3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Is it the original Concert head unit?
If so it is most likely the antenna amp. Depending on the year, most A3's have the amp in the head unit. Early models had the amp in the bee-sting aerial base, but when these amps started to fail it was a major job to strip the headlining and replace the aerial that they changed it for the HU amp. I would buy the external antenna amp and just give that a try as it is relatively cheap and easy to fit, otherwise you're looking at either replacing the bee-sting or the HU, neither of which are particularly cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
My A3 is a Y plate 2001 and it is still the original unit so do you think i could get away with the cheaper of your options?If so,where is the best place to get the external amp and what is the process to fitting.I love my car but when it comes to doing things other that changing a bulb then im at a loss.
Thanks for the help so far btw.

This is the one you want. Fitting should be simple, you'll need the Audi keys to release the head unit, pull the unit out so you can get to the wiring at the back. Unplug the antenna, plug in the adapter, reconnect the antenna to the other end of the adapter and then use a piggyback connector to attach the flying power lead to the remote on output of the power loom on the head unit, which is the lead next to the permanent live (red with a white stripe) designated on the diagram on top of the head unit as a switch symbol.
It maybe your car isn't wired for this pin, so you'll need to pick it up from the pre-out loom, the small yellow connector, again it's the wire denoted as a switch (middle row, the pin sticking out from the rest on the inside).
aerial amp

Where would i get the audi keys mate?Would you say id be better taking it into a car audio shop to see if they could sort it because as i said im not really the best when it comes to fixing things in my car?