Great, Major mardy on the cards, !

S3 Paul

Reaction score
So... i drive my car thinking... you know what, i finaly think ive got on top of the jobs needed to be done ... i get home, park up and half hour later spot coolant on the floor ! deep joy, But this is where the real story begins... I lift the bonnet and look for the leak,
Firstly i find a new issue. Dodgy looking grease/thick oil on top of the bell housing end of the gear box.
Quite a bit ( about as much as you would expect if a cv boot had gone ) but there is nothing that holds grease around there,
Then i notice the grease is around the hole in the gearbox bell houseing where you can see the flywheel, The car drove completely normaly with no clunks or no dodgy set offs that ive been told go with a "shagged flywheel"
I think ive found the water leak too. will post a picture of where i think thats from.

Is the grease from the duel mass flywheel?
Does this now mean i need to replace the clutch and flywheel?
They where both fitted about 18 months ago. luk flywheel and sache power clutch.

Not 100% sure but if you had grease on the flywheel wouldnt have immense clutch slip?

Thats what i thought.
Or can it come out of the rear of the flywheel meaning it hasnt come into contact with the clutch?
The ring gear of the flywheel is clean and dry to be honest.

I'm pretty sure there should be no grease inside the bell housing just incase it came into contact with the flywheel surface, I'm not 100% sure though so could well be wrong.

Sounds like either the half moon gasket or it could be one of the oil breather pipes what's been disconnected for a while allowing gunk to drop onto the gearbox

Nah, the "stuff" is thicker than dirty oil to be fair. takes alot of wiping off of my hands and such. Feels more like grease to me... im told the flywheel has greasey stuff in as a damper??

Nah, the "stuff" is thicker than dirty oil to be fair. takes alot of wiping off of my hands and such. Feels more like grease to me... im told the flywheel has greasey stuff in as a damper??

Try giving it a spray with some degreaser and a blast with the jetwash then keep an eye on it and you should be able to see where it's coming from.

Yes but it could be emulsified oil from the rocker, whatever it is i hope its not to expensive mate...

Oh i fear it will be.
I never have quick fix problems.
I know the rocker is leaking a little but not much to be honest. ive cleaned both and cleaned up the coolant leak to see whats what in the morning ( after a drive to work )

This is where i think the coolant is leaking from... it was a ****** to find but this is where its wet as aposed to just covered in coolant...
IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

This is on the gearbox end of the engine. i think the pipe im pointing at goes down to the oil cooler...
I think or should that be i hope... its just the spring hose clip thats leaking... is this likely???

Wheres this hole paul where you can see the flywheel? Its just i have a hole where i can see a cog (believe this must be the flywheel) but i have no plug for it!

That's the pipe under the temp sender. I think you'll have to drop what's left of your coolant and get that hose off for a closer inspection. You want to get that sorted before the warm weather comes back.

I removed the hose today... the hose looked ok to be fair so i refitted it with a juberle clip but still the drips came,
I then decided to remove the housing.... there is a crack where the seal sits... im hoping this is the problem,
A new one will be ordered tomorrow
Regarding the clutch issue, Im advised this will be the "stuff" from inside the flywheel. So it looks like i need a new flywheel and clutch,
Im thinking new duel mass and the same combo as tuffty and Pat... Basicaly a standard cover with a sache 4 puck paddle clutch drive plate.
Is this right? A good set up ?