Another knocking noise thread sorry

bl_1969

Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advise/help guys, would really appreciate it and you will see why in a min...

• The knocking noise only really happens at full lock when driving to the right.
  • Full lock to the left no noise.
  • Straight line no noise.
  • Turning a little to right no noise... as I say, mainly full lock.
  • Maybe more like a clicking.
  • Gets faster with acceleration but not louder.
  • Coming from passenger front wheel.... I am sure of this.

So just had the car in to the stealers, it was needing a service anyway and told them to check out the noise.

Picked car up, had a full free valet (although not to my standards hahaha) and they said the tires were causing it.

Now having read up on hear about knocking noises I am thinking it is either Bearing, CV Joint or top mount bush and I said this to them and they said all checked ok. Thing is I have also seen on here that this tire malarky has been said to others at the stealers.

I told these guys to swap the bearings if it was, I dont have an issue with them doing it, so why they did not jump at the chance I dont know. Also, I am in Czech Republic.... so this made me call uk just to see price of wheel bearing replacement and they said they would never swap just on my say so, it would cost 90 pounds for diagnosis and if it was then they refund.

So my first question is, whats the big deal about them changing bearings if I wanted them changed.

What you think that knocking noise could be?

I can prove it is not tires as I have my Audi Alloys on with winter tires (which are in perfect nick).
Next week I will fit my Genuine BBS LM's on with brand new tires that I ordered today. that will clear it up that it is not tires to them... but I am just a bit miffed at the attitude I got. There is definitely something up with the car and they said they cant see nothing so it's "tires".

Any help really really appreciated.

By the way, as I am in Czech, I cant go to any garage and have no way of getting a mate to check it out or lift it up in air.

Last of all, car passed MOT 2 weeks ago in UK, no advisories. Drove it back after MOT. The noise was happening before the MOT and obviously after.

Cheers in advance
Barry

Does it get worse if full lock in reverse? Sounds like cv to me. Is it lowered? May be catching inner arch. What wheels, size and offset and Tyres? Having said that it wouldn't just start rubbing for no reason. Hmmm

if it's a clicking it could be something simple like the clip holding the CV boot on the CV joint clipping the hub when rotating. Only a guess though.