AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Cam belt kit???

  1. #1
    Steveo_A3_1.8t's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Great Wakering, Southend
    Posts
    196

    Cam belt kit???

    hi all, cam belt and water pump is on my list of never ending 'to do's' on my car. just been to price up the bits both at the stealers and euro's. Ł75 at euros (inc hydraulic damper??? whatever that is??, tensioner???) and Ł114 in kit form at Audi.

    and before people start shouting at me im doing the pump to.

    basicly i wanna know if the audi kit is the only way to go?? im assuming it is, but just wanted to know if anyone else has used the euros kit for an entire recomended cambelt life span?? or know of any relevant info.

    Thanks peeps

    oh, what is the recomened mileage intervals for a cambelt???

    Thanks again

    steve

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    mikeyg's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    835
    Do you know what make Euros are supplying??

  4. #3
    Syvo's Avatar
    IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    warrington
    Posts
    1,337
    60k







  5. #4
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo_A3_1.8t View Post
    hi all, cam belt and water pump is on my list of never ending 'to do's' on my car. just been to price up the bits both at the stealers and euro's. Ł75 at euros (inc hydraulic damper??? whatever that is??, tensioner???) and Ł114 in kit form at Audi.

    and before people start shouting at me im doing the pump to.

    basicly i wanna know if the audi kit is the only way to go?? im assuming it is, but just wanted to know if anyone else has used the euros kit for an entire recomended cambelt life span?? or know of any relevant info.

    Thanks peeps

    oh, what is the recomened mileage intervals for a cambelt???

    Thanks again

    steve
    Have used a ECP Contitech belt kit before in the past with no problems.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    211
    The ECP kit I got was identical to the factory fitted one I took off. Both were Conti belts and you could see where the Audi logo and part number had been removed on the new vibration damper. You're basically paying Ł40 for those logos!

  7. #6
    Steveo_A3_1.8t's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Great Wakering, Southend
    Posts
    196
    Thanks for input guys, but after checking my Audi handbook I've just realised that the car has full Audi history up to 58k, and the belt was changed on the last recorded service with Oxford Audi. and the car is now on 85k. As you can imagine I panicked when Paul said every 60k as the car is on 85k now!! But all is well now ha ha

  8. #7
    LukeTripod87's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo_A3_1.8t View Post
    hi all, cam belt and water pump is on my list of never ending 'to do's' on my car. just been to price up the bits both at the stealers and euro's. Ł75 at euros (inc hydraulic damper??? whatever that is??, tensioner???) and Ł114 in kit form at Audi.

    and before people start shouting at me im doing the pump to.

    basicly i wanna know if the audi kit is the only way to go?? im assuming it is, but just wanted to know if anyone else has used the euros kit for an entire recomended cambelt life span?? or know of any relevant info.

    Thanks peeps

    oh, what is the recomened mileage intervals for a cambelt???

    Thanks again

    steve
    Hi mate I work for Audi so if you want i'll get ya a price for the kit with discount?
    2010 S3 Sportback
    Miltek cat-back non res / soon to be wrapped!!.....
    **Message for parts enquiries in Kent**

  9. #8
    Steveo_A3_1.8t's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Great Wakering, Southend
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by S3turbo-luke View Post
    Hi mate I work for Audi so if you want i'll get ya a price for the kit with discount?
    Cheers matey that very decent of you, but as I said when I actually checked the service history I found that it was done 30k ago.
    For some reason I thought it needed to be done at 80k, so was getting geared up to do it, But I've had an unusual stroke of luck.

    Thanks again thou mate
    Last edited by Steveo_A3_1.8t; 14th April 2011 at 09:00.

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,213
    I would check the condition of the belt, tensioners and water pump as they wear and not allways replaced when doing a cambelt ! I have seen dealer's jobs where they only replaced the belt and tensioner whilst leaving the old water pump and iddler in place, gues what they will say when the pump's bearings colapse 5-10k down the line ? Also, on most dealer receipts the parts invoice isnt allways clear so it does not say what was changed and when unless you supply the parts yourself. I would still do a cambelt just for peace of mind, they should be replaced after xx hours of running as not everyone is driving the same way + if it lets go you're looking at massive bils in labour costs wich will most likely write the car off ! Just rebuilt a 1.9 tdi engine the other day, owner had the belt changed in dealer at 85k in 2005, the belt had only 20k on it but it was 6 years old, yet it stripped the theets off and bent 4 valves, result: 350 quid in parts and 300 quid labour for a car that's worth 800 quid tops !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  11. #10
    Steveo_A3_1.8t's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Great Wakering, Southend
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    I would check the condition of the belt, tensioners and water pump as they wear and not allways replaced when doing a cambelt ! I have seen dealer's jobs where they only replaced the belt and tensioner whilst leaving the old water pump and iddler in place, gues what they will say when the pump's bearings colapse 5-10k down the line ? Also, on most dealer receipts the parts invoice isnt allways clear so it does not say what was changed and when unless you supply the parts yourself. I would still do a cambelt just for peace of mind, they should be replaced after xx hours of running as not everyone is driving the same way + if it lets go you're looking at massive bils in labour costs wich will most likely write the car off ! Just rebuilt a 1.9 tdi engine the other day, owner had the belt changed in dealer at 85k in 2005, the belt had only 20k on it but it was 6 years old, yet it stripped the theets off and bent 4 valves, result: 350 quid in parts and 300 quid labour for a car that's worth 800 quid tops !
    Yeah I'm aware the damage a failed timing belt can cause, My belt was changed in 2008 at 57k, not sure about pump and tensioners. The car Is on 87k now. I can see what your saying about peace of mind, and buy the time I've removed enough components to check the belt/tensioner/idler and pump I may have well just changed both right??

    After the posts below I'm tempted to get all parts from Euro car parts. What do u reckon??

    I'm not saying I don't trust all the other posts you guys have posted, but I just want as many opinions as possible :-)

    Cheers

    Steve

  12. #11
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,213
    Contitech kits or SKF kits are both very good and they are OEM manufacturers. Dealer prices are not that bad nowadays and you get 2 years parts and labour guarantee if you have the kit fitted by a decent garage, wich means that audi will foot the bill in the event of a failure-very unlikely in 2 years but i have seen it happening (ussualy is because incorectly fitted parts)...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  13. #12
    Steveo_A3_1.8t's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Great Wakering, Southend
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Contitech kits or SKF kits are both very good and they are OEM manufacturers. Dealer prices are not that bad nowadays and you get 2 years parts and labour guarantee if you have the kit fitted by a decent garage, wich means that audi will foot the bill in the event of a failure-very unlikely in 2 years but i have seen it happening (ussualy is because incorectly fitted parts)...
    Dealer cambelt kit is Ł114
    Dealer pump is Ł41

    ECP cambelt kit is Ł75
    ECP pump is Ł20

    Also I'm not paying a garage cos my mate is a great mechanic so he will do it .

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO