Metal or plastic impeller water pump? Which one is best?

Mk21147

Reaction score
Thinking about doing the timing belt on the Rallye (1.8T 20 valve BAM engine)just wanting advice & recommendations on wether to use the metal impeller water pump from GSF or the standard plastic water pump from Audi? What do people think? Have the Audi water pumps been improved? I know the car is not an S3, but I am running an S3 engine, so thought this would be a good place to ask.

Richard

Metal impeller is the best for the water pump as its stronger and the plastic one shreds away also VW and Audi don't stock it!

Im running metal in mine and did in my mk2 20vt also. No problems at all

Personally had mine changed to metal impeller when i had my cambelt done, the plastic ones are a known weak point.

ive just had mine done with a plastoc impeller. should have got z metal one but was saving on cash hope it will be ok lol

TBH as long as the pumps are changed reasonably regularly (ie with the timing belt) you'll never have a problem with a plastic impeller pump.

Does anyone know if ALL ages of 8L 1.8t a3's have plastic impellers?? Or did they sort the later ones out?? I have a 2002

My wifes A3 is 2002 and when we had the Cam Belt done and the Water Pump changed last year, the plastic impellar had broken in half, the new pump has the metal impellar, dont think you can get a plastic one from Audi now.

DC

On the flip side I pulled mine a few weeks ago which I assume had been in there since new and it was intact, 10 year old car.

I still replaced it with a metal one for peace of mind though.

I would personally just use a VAG one with a plastic impeller... the metal ones I have seen while not breaking apart have leaked through the shaft seals...

<tuffty/>

yeh i'd rather have a quality part with a plastic impeller than a **** part with a metal one.

The Valeo pump i baught for this BAM rebuild has a plastic impeller.

yeh i'd rather have a quality part with a plastic impeller than a **** part with a metal one.

The Valeo pump i baught for this BAM rebuild has a plastic impeller.

Yeah your right there mate, I know every one thinks it's a common fault but if you do it with the cambelt it's ok. I know I'm hijacking this thread abit (sorry) but does anyone know prices of VAG cambelt, tensioner and waterpump??

Cheers

Steve

I baught mine from Jason at AllGermanParts

From memory the belt and tensioner was about 70quid, and the water pump was about 20.

Drop Jason an email and get the correct prices for your engine.

mine is beeing change for another plastic one when spoke to awesome they said they are getting problems with the metal one leaking at the seals and non from the plastic one so im sticking with genuine audi parts

I have a metal one on mine as well, had all the work done at Midland VW.

You can get the kits for cheap from ECP or GSF, but average price to get it done at a local independant would be between £250-£350.

Thanks for the replys, I think I am going for a VAG plastic impeller one.