Dane's Hybrid Conversion Thread

Cheers dude, it's been epic thus far, I'm not saying anything about finishing, I'll jinx it lol

Last edited:
Well I was hoping you'd be reading ;)

You made a right mess of that clutch buddy!

Who were you sending kisses too?

Yeah, ah well at least the new set up deals with Tuffty power so it should be good for my lowly needs.

The kisses were probably for one of my many b itches lol

:laugh: I dunno ive been in The car with him once and he was pretty on it :)

Bill, how do you find the wear with the Sachs paddle?

I was a bit put off of paddle clutches after i baught a AEB motor last year which had a 15k old single mass flywheel and paddle clutch fitted, and found both the flywheel and pressure plate had pretty serious lips on them, somewhere in the region of 0.5mm on both.

I think Mark ran the same clutch for a short while, and his showed similar wear when he removed it.

I dont think kit i ended up with was a sachs paddle though, it had a sachs cover plate, but the paddle itself was unbranded.

thing is with paddles.. puk type, is there is less wear material as it only resides on the puks.. but the other side of the coin is they have more grip and are of harder material.. Do 1/4 mile launches and slip the clutch with this type of material and stuff will wear.. no avoiding it.

IMHO:
Abused paddle vs abused std, paddle will last a lot longer
driven normally paddle vs driven normally std, std will last longer

gbox pics now its dried after its pressure wash last night..
by god its corroded!
Do you know the history of this box Dane?

gbox-corrosion-1.jpg

gbox-corrosion-2.jpg

gbox-corrosion-3.jpg

gbox-corrosion-4.jpg

gbox-corrosion-5.jpg

Feck me, no I dont know the history but thats messed up. :think: how Motors in Motion thought that this was ok I dont know.

Is it a good idea to carry on using this gearbox into the future?

Dude, that box is HAMMERED! How much did you give for that and how long ago? They are having a laugh selling that.

Dude, that box is HAMMERED! How much did you give for that and how long ago? They are having a laugh selling that.

A fair amount of money... it came with a guarantee and next day delivery. I was at work so I couldn't inspect it and I guess the garage didnt clean it and inspect it. Hmm I think they'll be getting an email with these photos.

I see it's my turn to get derailed today is it :laugh:

The box came from motors in motion,

It came with bodged sensors that didnt work and caused the speedo etc. not to work.
And its ****ed from being in a fire.

GGGGHHHHEEEEEYYYYYY!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

A fair amount of money... it came with a guarantee and next day delivery. I was at work so I couldn't inspect it and I guess the garage didnt clean it and inspect it. Hmm I think they'll be getting an email with these photos.

Yeah mate, get on it. That's epically bad, especially if it came with a guarantee. However I would imagine that it would be a guarntee that it would WORK. Which it does in fairness.

Repair process for the gearbox (Taken from 034 Motorsport) is to smear light amounts of Chemical Metal over the pitt marks to hide them....

Fixed!!

Very much so, however I feel bad because you are having a 'mare. :(

Yeah well the box has worked for the past 9 months or so, I dont have the money to do anything about it now, but my god someones getting an angry email...

Westy did you just use a pic from my photo bucket against me :faint:

Yeah well the box has worked for the past 9 months or so, I dont have the money to do anything about it now, but my god someones getting an angry email...

For deffo. I'd be fighting the urge to take it back up there is person and lob it through their window....

Are 034 no good then?

I'm not saying all of their stuff isn't, but I didn't personally have good experiences or customer service from them.

I shall say no more. Find my hybrid thread if you want to understand why.

Feck me, no I dont know the history but thats messed up. :think: how Motors in Motion thought that this was ok I dont know.

Is it a good idea to carry on using this gearbox into the future?

tony had a good suggestion, that the damage was maybe battery acid on it.. if off a nsf crashed TT.. its on the area's where you would imagine it could splash to.

the purpose I degreased it and pressure washed it was to make it clean (and your subframe) as your car has always oosed oil from various orifi, progressively fixed as we have done assorted jobs.. gbox was always leaking, but it looks like it was from a loose speedo drive, which has now been sealed & tightened up properly. Any fresh oil which escapes will be easier to trace, but I dont think it will now. Yea its corroded to ****, but it works, and is oil tight (I think) - It needed 0.5ltr oil added to it I will add, so its been running low on oil after its leaks...
Its all back together, and aside from getting the clutch to bleed up properly (fcuking thing) it works.. I still cant believe how **** a design of slave cylinder/release bearing, where you cannot bleed the hydraulics at the cylinder, only the feed pipe to it which is at the top.. doh! Rant over.. Audi clutch designer sux :p