Splitting Gearbox from block

tompearson

It's all in bits
Reaction score
I am trying to split my gearbox from the engine block but they don't seem to want to separate. I assume I must have missed a bolt, but I can't seem to find it. It is an APY S3 and the engine and box are out of the car.

I have removed :
  • 2 starter motor bolts (and the starter)
  • 3 sump bolts
  • 1 bolt under the starter motor (held a bracket)
  • 2 bolts at the top of the gearbox. )the ones the gear linkages attach to)
  • 5 bolts and the bevel box bracket
  • 1 little bolt on the plate above the bevel box

It seems to want to split on the starter motor side (I can get a screwdriver in between them), but I can't actually get them apart.

Any help appreciated.

i don't know about the S3, but on the a3, all but one of the bolts go through from the box into the block/sump, apart from one bolt, which goes from the block into the bell housing the other way, and is hidden under the offside driveshaft flange. Could give the problem you suggest?

Other than a bolt not undone, it could be the splined gearbox shaft seized in the clutch plate. There are small sleeves/collars on the case which locate into the gearbox housing which the bolts go through, they could also stick but a hit with a soft hammer should dislodge them really.

Soft hammer was applied with some vigor (and cursing) so I think Prawn has the answer - The only bolt I removed in the block to box direction was a little one in the plate so I must have missed the one that attaches the two together.

Thanks

Have you removed the bevel box? this will catch the block unless removed... you also need a special tool to undo a bolt holding the drivers side drive flange on....

<tuffty/>

You may have to remove the bevel box, I changed the box In my s3 this week. You need a long no6 hex bit to remove the drive shaft flange so the bevel box can be removed.

Just succeeded - it was the bolt Prawn suggested. I didn't need to remove the bevel box in the end though. Once I had removed the last bolt they just slid apart. Thanks for all the help.