Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    It's all in bits

Status

Splitting Gearbox from block

I am trying to split my gearbox from the engine block but they don't seem to want to separate. I assume I must have missed a bolt, but I can't seem to find it. It is an APY S3 and the engine and box are out of the car.

I have removed :
    • 2 starter motor bolts (and the starter)
    • 3 sump bolts
    • 1 bolt under the starter motor (held a bracket)
    • 2 bolts at the top of the gearbox. )the ones the gear linkages attach to)
    • 5 bolts and the bevel box bracket
    • 1 little bolt on the plate above the bevel box

It seems to want to split on the starter motor side (I can get a screwdriver in between them), but I can't actually get them apart.

Any help appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    i don't know about the S3, but on the a3, all but one of the bolts go through from the box into the block/sump, apart from one bolt, which goes from the block into the bell housing the other way, and is hidden under the offside driveshaft flange. Could give the problem you suggest?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Other than a bolt not undone, it could be the splined gearbox shaft seized in the clutch plate. There are small sleeves/collars on the case which locate into the gearbox housing which the bolts go through, they could also stick but a hit with a soft hammer should dislodge them really.

It's all in bits

Status
    Soft hammer was applied with some vigor (and cursing) so I think Prawn has the answer - The only bolt I removed in the block to box direction was a little one in the plate so I must have missed the one that attaches the two together.

Thanks

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Have you removed the bevel box? this will catch the block unless removed... you also need a special tool to undo a bolt holding the drivers side drive flange on....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

KB
    1st Gear

Status
    You may have to remove the bevel box, I changed the box In my s3 this week. You need a long no6 hex bit to remove the drive shaft flange so the bevel box can be removed.

It's all in bits

Status
    Just succeeded - it was the bolt Prawn suggested. I didn't need to remove the bevel box in the end though. Once I had removed the last bolt they just slid apart. Thanks for all the help.