Lost my car keys! EEEK

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
Whats the first point of call to get a replacement lads?

my insurance said they'll give me £100 good will gesture when i buy the replacement which is cool.

Ive phone everywhere i went yesterday but nobody has found anything.

Do i just go and bend over for Audi then? or can you get em done somewhere else?

cheers

yeh mate. all i had when i bought the car. i've phone an auto lock smith for a quote will post back soon

she just phoned and said she wants £240 for a remote key, cut and blah blah. or £180 for x2 regular keys all coded etc with no remote.

seems expensive or is it?

The Quote I had from Audi for a new remote key was £167 as I wanted a spare as I only got 1 with my S3..

this is immaterial but if you had the key you could have the blade off ebay and get it cut and the remote would need the transponder coded to your car which was 50 quid off Audi iirc

Hi, just a thought. did you drive/driven to all those places? have you looked down the back of the car seat or where ever youve been sat, they may have dropped out of your pocket.

Hi, just a thought. did you drive/driven to all those places? have you looked down the back of the car seat or where ever youve been sat, they may have dropped out of your pocket.

yes mate been everywhere looked crazily in my gf's car aswell. we even looked at flats yesterday and went back to the same ones to see today.

my brother in law is a manager of a timpsons store so he could have cut it for me for free but as u kno all is good in hindsight.

@flight666 thats not too bad and would be much more affordable

ill phone around tomorrow (audi aswell)

cheers all ill be back

ok audi want £325 and the key will have to be ordered from germany (WTF? :think:)

best alternative ive found is £220 who will come to my door change the locks and give me a remote key and standard key as a spare.

Seems resonable. Not much in it with the other auto locksmiths ive phoned but this was the closest and the cheapest.

How does that price sound?

ok audi want £325 and the key will have to be ordered from germany (WTF? :think:)

best alternative ive found is £220 who will come to my door change the locks and give me a remote key and standard key as a spare.

Seems resonable. Not much in it with the other auto locksmiths ive phoned but this was the closest and the cheapest.

Knowing how much work is involved changing the drivers door lock, I'd say that is VERY good indeed.

that blows! i only have one key also so i paid the extra £15 on my insurance for key cover with no excess and will cut up to £1500 worth of keys or something.

£220 sounds very reasonable to me. make sure they program it for the central locking, immobiliser and alarm too.

cheers lads!

will check to be sure they sort it for all those things then. central lock is obvious but how would i check the immobiliser? alarm i guess just flap my arm in the window.

my insurance only covers £100 which is annoying :(

check the immobiliser?

if the car starts!! :)

£100 is better than a kick in the teeth buddy.

so as a tag on. as i have one key only, what is the cheapest way of getting another? ebay s/hand key, ebay new blade and someone to program it all and cut it i guess?

Why don't you find out how much audi/locksmiths will charge you if you supply the key?

Then you could just buy a cheap one off ebay ;)

Don't suppose you have a picture of the key face? I know it sounds strange but you can get a new identical key cut from just a picture.

With regards to replacement keys. I organised a discount with a company, there is a thread about this. Basically £80-£90 for a new, genuine key cut with fob and chip. If anyone is interested PM me or have a quick search you'll find the details.

if the car starts!! :)

£100 is better than a kick in the teeth buddy.

so as a tag on. as i have one key only, what is the cheapest way of getting another? ebay s/hand key, ebay new blade and someone to program it all and cut it i guess?

yeh as above just get it on ebay and get it cut at a timpsons or something then get it programmed (which is **** easy, u put the key in the ignition turn it but not the engine on then put the working key in the drivers door and press the lock button then press it twice more).

problem is when u dont have one at all.

took the guy 25 mins to break into my car fit a new key lock etc and test it.

whats the point in having an alarm...really? :think:

hehe yeh probs i werent home but my mum sorted it. she probably did make him one. 5 mins of that was taking payment also.. lol :wtf:

did a good job though and my keys look great!

What key did you have originally? Flip key?

£220 quid for a new key is mugging you off good. The key inc vat is around £130 and then programming isnt going to be £90. We charge £59.99 inc vat at VW.

What key did you have originally? Flip key?

£220 quid for a new key is mugging you off good. The key inc vat is around £130 and then programming isnt going to be £90. We charge £59.99 inc vat at VW.

i didnt have one originally i lost my only key mate. yeh granted a new key on its own as a spare was £130 but as i didnt have a key to copy it was as above mate. Now i have a standard key and a flip key for that price.

You dont need a key to copy it from though. I have loads of people come in that have lost all their keys. Still costs the same as a normal replacement key apart from they need to get the car recovered here thats all. Was it Wayside that qouted you that price?

Yeah they have to order it from the factory because its lazer cut but it only takes 2 days. But then this is Wayside and they`re pretty useless lol. Have so many people complaining about them that come into our place.

Oh well its done now :)

I enquired at Audi they said to be round about £150

Vindis VW in Bedford.

You spoke to a **** trust me lol. They were pulling your leg hard! Wayside are known for doing anything to make asmuch money as possible out of you. Even our workshop controller that worked at Wayside for 10 years said that lol

A replacement is a new key. If you were to get a solid key with no buttons on it then its like £70quid plus programming. For a flip key its about £130 plus programming regardless of whether its just for a spare or if you`ve lost all your keys. Makes no difference.

Vindis VW in Bedford.

You spoke to a **** trust me lol. They were pulling your leg hard! Wayside are known for doing anything to make asmuch money as possible out of you. Even our workshop controller that worked at Wayside for 10 years said that lol

A replacement is a new key. If you were to get a solid key with no buttons on it then its like £70quid plus programming. For a flip key its about £130 plus programming regardless of whether its just for a spare or if you`ve lost all your keys. Makes no difference.

got ya so about £200 with programming then?

so my £220 with a standard key and remote key aint bad then really. All coming to my door and sorting it for me problem free

Yeah just under all in.

Nah wasnt a bad price at all as they came to you. If it was main dealer you`d have to get the car to them to code

yeh would be missions and cost probs another £50 unless i could blag the rac to take me there

any one know how to program the transponder to the car i have done the fob had the blade cut but cant work out how to program the chip also i have vagcom..

Are you talking the remote for the central locking because that's fairly simple I think. If your talking about the immobiliser chip then my understanding is it can't be done. I could easily be wrong but my understanding is that even the main dealer has to connect the car to the central HQ database to get the code for this. My car only came with 1 key so I looked at my options of buying an old key off eBay as a spare but in the end went got audi to supply and code because all the info I found said it couldn't be done.....please no one tell me that it can as I spent a fortune getting a spare key from audi!

i can not be ***** to read everything lol

if you have not fixed it, buy the metal key part ONLY from audi (you need to do this as only they know the pattern for the metal) - then buy a keyfob off ebay and get someone to program it into your car i know someone who can do this, he's based around east london..... the same guy who mapped my car

yeah the immobiliser chip mate i have done the buttons on fob so i can un lock and lock the car.. also got the blade cut for 3 quid by a lock smiths

You have to first see your convinence. In which way you are happy, whether with insurance company and wait, or calling a auto locksmith and and stop worrying. Its your choice.

I have annual key protection via my insurance company. Covers you if you lose the key. even goes as far as arranging alternative transport if you are stuck! Think I paid about £15 for it.

Boomerang-Tag

Definitely worth having if you only have one key.

I get that free with my adrian flux car insurance - worth doing not had to use it yet....

if u have it all cut etc and the fob n that. u just put it in the ignition turn it then lock and open the car with a separate remote key.