Clutch conversion a big YES :) a3 1.8t

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
hi all i posted a thread asking if anyone knew the quality of the clutch conversion from carspares but no one replyd :( lol but went ahead anyway and yes im chuffed to bits, the response threw the wheels is imediate.... Cant wait to get my remap now. To all who own a 1.8t with a five speed gearbox....get this conversion... £300 supplied and fitted and well ****** worth it... Hope this cheesy grin i got wears off soon lol :)

Reply if youve done this and are as happy as me or dont upto you!lol

Ok dude thanks for watever you said lol yeh it fits i thought it may not tbf as i said about the label saying tdi. Any ideas to more power from a remap as iv got a stronger clutch?

Yeh i got the clutch conversion trade, came to £153 +vat (20% robbing *****) so £184 nd £120 to fit as its a freinds garage.

which conversion kit is it mate? THe single mass flywheel setup from eurocarparts? if so, I've heard good things about it.

I'm running something similar on my track car, got an ABF single mass flywheel, lightened from 10kg down to 6kg, running a VR6 clutch, and it's incredible!

Reactions: SHUk
Its the single mass flywheel mate, much cheaper than the original replacement so well worth it if your clutch has come to the end of its life as mine did :) lol i got it from carspares because europarts was £30 more and Gsf £25 more. I think its basically a G60 flywheel with a vr6 clutch. Balanced on the flywheel in one peice, my old one had big chunks missin :)

hi ive recently done this conversion on my a3, £330 all in all, not too bad atall :D However i have a constanst sqweak/grinding noise atm, not really bad but im hoping it will go away, any one else experianced this when first installing this setup?

hi ive recently done this conversion on my a3, �330 all in all, not too bad atall :D However i have a constanst sqweak/grinding noise atm, not really bad but im hoping it will go away, any one else experianced this when first installing this setup?
. Hi mate, nah iv had no problem with my conversion. Does it still make the noise when you put the clutch down? If no then its just a noisy thrust bearing, if it dont go away then id have a brown moment lol i dont mean to worry you but i had an a3 1.8t a few years ago that had a mad noise and sadley the gearbox was nakerd. Lets hope urs is ok.

My clutch has started to slip under full power in 3rd... only slightly but it needs doing now.

I'm looking at sacking off the DM fly wheel and going with the single mass conversion.

My clutch has started to slip under full power in 3rd... only slightly but it needs doing now.

I'm looking at sacking off the DM fly wheel and going with the single mass conversion.

Do it mate, the singlel mass conversion is cheaper than just a dual mass and loads better.

The only thing i dont like about these "conversion" kits, is the clutch itself isnt a standard part. Meaning you may or may not be able to get just the clutch in future once it needs replaced.

The G60/VR6 conversion is better in that everything is standard off the shelf parts.

I'd have gone the VR6 route anyway I think. Any ideas on cost fitted?... I need to save some pennies!

Ok so the singal mass is a single peice mounted to the flywheel and balanced, its all one peice, the whole setup was cheaper than just the dualmass clutch on its own from car spares, and its basically a vr6 clutch and a g60 flywheel, my box said golf tdi and worked a treat :)

my clutch is on its way out also, im gettin no power down in first or second. sorry im not too clued up just want to get it straight.

i have a audi 1.8t (98) so currently it has a dual mass flywheel? and if i gunna replace the clutch its best to replace the flywheel at the same time? also i read about (above) converting to a g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch, or gettin a single mass flywheel. is this the same thing or something completely different? last thing is is hard to DIY or is it best to let a garage sort it out?

if anyone can answer greatly appreciated. im not the best with cars, but i wanna learn :)

Hi mate, the clutch conversion from carspares has been bang on so far, i got a mechanic to do the job as im also a novice, the hole conversion is all in one peice so i suppose with access to all the right tools and the know how it shouldnt be rocket science. Oh and vr6 clutch and g60 fly is basically the same as the carspares kit, except my box said golf gttdi lol hope this helps.