Short Service Intervals

Absolute_Jon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've got an 225 S3 which I serviced at 49K on 21/03/2010, changed all the relevant parts with genuine audi items and the correct castol oil. I then reset the service display to what I thought was 8000 to next service.Now on 52,500 its saying service in 100 miles? Is this display calculated on time and number of hours driven aswell as miles. Its always warmed up and cooled down and as its done relatively little mileage in that year (second car) i'm unsure whether to service or not?

What do you guys think?
Cheers,
Jon

If you are happy with a normal fixed service regime then just ignore the message and reset the indicator. I pay no attention to mine and wish I could turn the thing off completely as mine has been on a fixed service regime since I bought the car.

When you say that it's always warmed up and cooled down do you mean left ticking over for a long time whilst stationary? If so, then you're doing more harm than good.

how so i leave mine ticking over for 1 minute before turning off to allow the turbo to cool and same in the morning leak on tick over as mine has some weard feature when the revs are higher for few seconds and you hear a whistle then the revs drop to normal like a preheated warm up for the engine. surley if you just turn the car off will kill the turbo as the oil will not get to the turbo and allow the turbo to stop spooling

how so i leave mine ticking over for 1 minute before turning off to allow the turbo to cool and same in the morning leak on tick over as mine has some weard feature when the revs are higher for few seconds and you hear a whistle then the revs drop to normal like a preheated warm up for the engine. surley if you just turn the car off will kill the turbo as the oil will not get to the turbo and allow the turbo to stop spooling

I think it's bad for the engine to let it warm up from idle just parked up, as most of the engine wear comes from the warm up process, so using the engine idle speed to warm up the engine is going to take a good 5 minutes. I don't see a problem waiting 1 minute for it to cool down after a blast, though I prefer to coast home in the last mile and just shut off when I get home.

I have at times kept my engine idling for 5 minutes to cool down after a session on the track also, as you only get on inlap notice to coast in, so I think it's vital to cool it down(with the bonnet open) before I switch off to preserve my engine and turbo.

Its probably a different service. These cars have warnings for oil changes and warnings for the larger inspection service. It may simply have been that your last warning was only for one of them, and now its warning you for the other.

As for warm up and cool down, jojo speaks sense. Fire it up and drive off, this is the quickest way to get the engine up to temperature. Clearly keep the revs down and throttle openings low until its warmed up.

For cooling down, typically unless your into blasting up and down residential streets the last mile of your journey tends to be slow driving anyway, so giving plenty of time for things to cool. If you are giving it the beans and are reaching the end of your journey then just back off for the last mile or two and then you can just draw up and shut it off. Leaving it running at idle will often raise the underbonnet temperatures, rather than reducing them.

Last edited:
I'm with JoJo, I'm pretty sure the owners manual tells you that it is better to start driving as soon as the engine is running and a few miles of easy driving after a blast is what I prefer. I think if it's still too hot it'll keep running after you turn the engine off.

Every owners manual for every car iv ever owned has advised driving the car as soon as you start it, from cold that is.

DC

i may have worded it wrong i dont know if every bodys car does this but when i turn mine on from cold the revs tick over higher for few secs then you hear a noise which sounds like a preasure release then revs sit as normal and i drive off. on way back i leave it ticking over for 30 sec if nice drive back or 1 min if bit of a blip and 90sec if been driving it like i stole it (excuse the expresion) ive allways found this fine and been advised this process from many places and many people.

ive been told its help the turbo to slow down the spool and will make it safe to turn off its basically wat a turbo timer would do its just im timing it my self.

Cheers for the replies all, when I say warm up and cool down,I too drive off but just dont go bounding down the road, as for cool down same as above keep the revs down and coast the last mile or so. I didnt mean I sit there just waiting....

As for the service im pretty sure it said 8k to next service therefore it must work it out it from a number of factors.

For cooling down, typically unless your into blasting up and down residential streets the last mile of your journey tends to be slow driving anyway, so giving plenty of time for things to cool.

The best bit of my trip home from work is the last mile! I live right at the edge of a suburb with a nice country road...
Unless i'm stuck behind something slow (brand new 335 today - he couldn't get away from me!) for that mile I let the car cool down on the drive for a couple of minutes with the bonnet up.