Hmmm my S3 seems to have developed a smoking habit.....????

AWDMk1

Reaction score
Just in the last few days I've noticed my S3 is putting out smoke from the exhaust but only when it is warm and only when it is on idle....normally when it has been idling for a few minutes sitting in traffic etc.... ?

Any ideas as to what is the most likely cause???

Just in the last few days I've noticed my S3 is putting out smoke from the exhaust but only when it is warm and only when it is on idle....normally when it has been idling for a few minutes sitting in traffic etc.... ?

Any ideas as to what is the most likely cause???

I get this also.

After start up (just a puff) of smoke comes out of the exhaust then goes away again. Hmmm.

I'm kind of suspecting valve stem oil seals on mine but I hope that isn't the case as it had a fully rebuilt head not too long back.... It's also had a rebuilt CR K04 about 5k miles ago so I REALLY hope it's not that.....

I'm thinking of servicing it at the weekend and putting some good fresh oil in and going from there

I had I bit more smoke than normal for a month and a bit too much oil going through my pipes the goes my bearings in the turbo that's what happened to me might just be something and nothing pal

I've had the same thing for months now. I've been told it's just oil sitting in the intercooler pipes. Nothing to worry about.

AWDMk1 - I know how you feel, i had my K04 rebuilt by CR last year and this started happening a few months after. It's not that so don't worry about it lol. I had a bottom end rebuild at the time due to pothole incident (don't ask), so i think oil has just gathered in the intercooler pipes.

Both my s3's are smokey during the warm up process, I just think it's the condensation/moisture in the exhaust, once fully warmed up, it clears. It's about the time of year you can see the stem clearly, I remember a thread over the winter chill where a member had their downpipe blocked up with ice after moving the car on his drive a couple of times!

my s3 has been in the garage since novmember, i started it and let it run away in the garage and there was a big pool of water sitting under the tail pipe, just condensation i think (read think as hope)

I just think it's the condensation/moisture in the exhaust, once fully warmed up, it clears. It's about the time of year you can see the stem clearly, I remember a thread over the winter chill where a member had their downpipe blocked up with ice after moving the car on his drive a couple of times!

Aye, that was my dear brother who managed to get the centre pipe of the exhaust to freeze up with condensation when we had some of the coldest temps - he's since learned the error of his ways (and now selling his S3 as he does around 3K miles a year).

Link to that post: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/109514-frozen-s3-inside.html

Last edited:
I've had the same thing for months now. I've been told it's just oil sitting in the intercooler pipes. Nothing to worry about.

AWDMk1 - I know how you feel, i had my K04 rebuilt by CR last year and this started happening a few months after. It's not that so don't worry about it lol. I had a bottom end rebuild at the time due to pothole incident (don't ask), so i think oil has just gathered in the intercooler pipes.

Cheers for the info DJ_Troopa! I feel less concerned now..... I'll still service it at the weekend, then feel less guilty when I put my foot down!

Mine's booked in for an Oil change at my Local garage. They have a pit so its a 10mins job for that and the filter *(I could do it myself but last time poured hot oil all over my hand and had it on the drive. Mother was not best pleased lol)

Will update on the smokeyness as/ when...

same as guys, my S3 smokes like a grandads pipe on startup. then clears. I think it is the oil/intercooler issue.
other than that car is awesome, true the review on the suspension, rides the big bumps nice, go over a small stone and it feels llike you have broken your back LOL!

I'm becoming less convinced this is nothing.... mine doesn't do it on start up, and doesn't seem to do it with any regularity but... when it does do it, it is only when it is up to temp and when it is sitting idling and then you pull away and out comes the smoke....

I am beginning to wonder if it could be something to do with the PVC valve??? Anybody have any thoughts on that or am I barking up completely the wrong tree!!?? Failing that I suspect valve stem oil seals as it is only when warm and hence the oil is thinner???

Bit of blue. (Almost black).

Sometimes it doesn't do it.

Mine does it more on choke in a morning / cold start... :S

Mines a bluey colour.... and it done it again coming into work this morning.... sitting in traffic idling, pull away and then it does it but it only seems to do it when / after idling so I am thinking some sort of vacuum related carry on???

Mines got a new CR turbo <5k miles ago and had a full head rebuild due to a cracked AMK head approx 10k miles ago....

My last post above should read PCV valve not PVC by the way! lol

AWDMk1 - I have the same thing aswell. If i'm in traffic and then move after a couple mins i get a puff of bluey smoke. Blue smoke is usually a sign of a crapped out turbo but that's the not the case for us and we 100% know it's not the turbo. I'm gonna get the front bumper off soon and i'll clean the oil out of the pipes, hopefully that should sort a bit of it.

DJ_Troopa - I'm convinced mines getting worse by the day.... perhaps we should hope that the fact that we both have CR rebuilt K04's and are suffering from the same problem doesn't point to the common thing causing the problem i.e. the turbo!