Lingo's Audi A3 Project Thread. Warning: Picture-Heavy!

are the headlamps safe for HIDs to be installed? doesnt it affet the other leds as the HID kit produces alot of heat? or is it ok to have hid installed in any angel eyes/drl headlamps.

The heat has never been a problem, all of my LEDs run fine. The HIDs run inside the projectors, whilst the LEDs run a fair bit below that, also there's casing splitting each LED from each other as well as the LED's from the HIDs. See the seventh picture down in my first post for reference. Unlike halogen bulbs HIDs have an electrode (the stick that goes from the right hand side of the bulb into it on the top) on the side of the bulb which makes them a little wider than standard halogen bulbs, as a result I had to slightly modify the housing hole so that the electrode wasn't damaged when fitting it in.

It's not very hard, I just had to grind a tiny bit of metal out of each hole, although I've seen ready made kits that offer DRL/angel eye headlamps with HIDs ready to fit for a bit more on eBay if you're worried about doing the work yourself. I'd definitely not recommend halogen bulbs with DRL LEDs though, I've seen it on an Audi before and it just emphasises how dull and yellow the halogen bulbs are.

http://www.****.ru/images/target/photo/51703700/D2C___D2R___D2S_Hid_Bulb.jpg

I'm still waiting for delivery of new parts, but another update is coming soon.

Last edited:
there was your drl lamps on ebay went for 60pounds yesterday :( was gonna snap em up but thought hid would damage the lights :( love them lights. soooooooo whats thew update then?

I like the project you done thinking about doing it to my audi a3 with my own little additions just curious how much did it cost with everything?

Audi-tk £60 was an absolute bargain! that's a lot less than half-price for those lamps. Oh well mate, you win some you lose some. Hopefully, if you keep a look out on eBay another pair will come up. Patrick, check your P.M inbox.

Here's my next update:

I decided to work on the rear of the car, specifically on the rear light cluster. I wanted rear lights that would match the modern styling of the new 8P facelift tail lights but I wasn't really fully satisfied with any of the lights I'd seen for sale, so I decided to customise a set to make them to be how I wanted them.

I started out by buying a set of LED tail lamps (running 8-LED side lights, 9-LED brake lights and 12-LED fog lights per side):

reartaillamps4epf.jpg

Whilst I was pleased with the actual set-up these lights had, I felt they looked a little too cluttered as they were which made them seem tacky to me, so I wanted to make them more subtle and look more like an OEM product. I did this by having completely red lenses with small rectangular slits on both units for reverse lights much like the current 8P model:

img-20110528-00651fqme.jpg

Just as I did with my headlights, I used silicone on the inside edges to make sure they don't let water seep in, in the long-term:

img-20110528-00656vss2.jpg

I then replaced the remaining filament bulbs for LED units (reverse bulbs and indicator bulbs):

* Filament indicator with amber 36-LED comparison:

img-20110515-00542qoq0.jpg

* New 36 LED reverse bulb:

img-20110515-005435osm.jpg

Rear tail lights before (side view):

img-20110529-00660jor1.jpg

Rear tail lights after: (side view):

rearlightssideviewxqrx.jpg

Rear tail lights (before):

lightsbackpublicversioepls.jpg

Rear tail lights (after):

lightsbackafterpublicv0te8.jpg

Finally, a couple of pictures with the lights on (sorry for the lacking quality in advance, my BlackBerry's camera isn't great in the dark):

Side lights on:

audiatnightwithnewledbfrb4.jpg

Brake lights on:

rearbrakelightsonpubli9q8j.jpg

My facelift tail lights are now for sale. P.M me a reasonable offer and they're all yours.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Reactions: TOM.S
Just one more picture of the LED sidelights on in broad daylight :photo: :

img-20110530-00682imo0.jpg

I decided to update the side repeaters. The white 'smoked' side-repeaters that come as standard are a little too 1990s for my taste. So I've fitted a pair of triple LED clear chromed units. It's a pretty subtle modification but the chromed side repeater is a much better match for the mirrors, headlights and grille as well as giving the car a more updated look:

Before:

img-20110615-007841djf.jpg

After (also decided to start raining just as I was taking the photo, which was nice of the sky) :

img-20110615-008050uwp.jpg

Before (indicator on):

img-20110615-007831uqx.jpg

After (indicator on):

img-20110615-00797uuik.jpg

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my standard facelift side repeaters as I no longer need them, as usual just send me a PM with a reasonable offer and they're all yours.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice, something different to the norm mate.

Where did you get the side repeaters? May have to purchase some them give them a slight smoked tint :).

Nice, something different to the norm mate.

Where did you get the side repeaters? May have to purchase some them give them a slight smoked tint :).

Thanks Dani! I bought them off of eBay mate, just search for them on there. Just a heads up though in case you have a pre-facelift model I believe the side repeaters are different (smaller square shape rather than the longer rectangular shape) so wouldn't fit.

Sound, are they plug and play? Mines prefacelift s3 but its got the rectangular ones too :).

I like the LED interior light conversion... been meaning to do similar myself... where did you get the bulbs from? I assume you don't have the sun visor vanity mirror lights else you would have done those too?

<tuffty/>

I was just thinking the same thing Tuft.... I am liking the LED interior light style... Yam has done it in his 8P TDI... Looks like daylight when they are on...

Thing is how would you get the vanity lights out? Lets face it there aint alot of space.

Its easy, all the interior light covers just pop off, converterd every single light in my car to led for less then £25 delivered.

Yeah i have done mine.. only one a cant get off is the ones in rear about rear bench any ideas

Looking good dude. One of the better 8p conversions around I'd say.
Liking the bulb swap outs too. not really feeling the drl's/ rears lights but I see where Yr going with the whole look. Personally I'd be loosing the s3 badges and maybe roll Yr arches or s3 wings/ 3/4 panel to give it a better stance.
Looks well all the same;)

hmm not a fan of the rear lights but different i must say in modying them. was gonna ask you u got a direct link to the 3rd brake light bulbs mate?

Good looking car bud, a set of rims on there and you'll be laughing. One thing though, why put 'S3' badges on an A3? Kinda cheapens the car in my opinion

Reactions: jasonallen
hmm not a fan of the rear lights but different i must say in modying them. was gonna ask you u got a direct link to the 3rd brake light bulbs mate?

Fair enough mate, we're all entitled to our own opinion. Sorry, I don't have a direct link to the LEDs anymore, I bought them ages ago now and they're no longer in my purchase history, they weren't particularly specific though, just LED equivalents of the filament bulbs. They were plug and play, I had to use a load resistor for mine but that was only because I also have the new LED tail lamps and both combined end up drawing a lot less power than the stock filament versions and so the resistor is used to take up the residual power (which otherwise manifests itself by keeping the top brake light glowing dimly for no reason). Even then, the resistor fitting is very simple and works perfectly to stop the glowing problem.

Good looking car bud, a set of rims on there and you'll be laughing. One thing though, why put 'S3' badges on an A3? Kinda cheapens the car in my opinion

Thanks for the kind words S3-Sandy. The S3 badges are really a result of my S3 chrome grille. It came with an S3 badge embossed into it and I didn't have the heart to remove it and just leave a hole. At the same time, I figured it looked pretty stupid having an S3 badge on the front and then an A3 badge on the back, so I just changed the back too and since then have gone with an S3 theme for the rest of the car really.

Now, for my next update I've had more work done to the rear end, pretty subtle to all but the most keen of eyes really. I've now got an S3 spoiler fitted and had the rear bumper smoothed so that it's one large unit rather than a bumper with a bottom attachment.

Rear end before:

lightsbackafterpublicv0te8.jpg

Rear end after:

rearwiths3spoilerpubli8ktp.jpg

Thanks again for looking. I'll have another relatively big update pretty soon, I'm just waiting for parts.

Last edited:
So my new parts arrived. Brand new 18" R8 V10 Alloys. Absolutely love them, I believe they give the car a much more aggressive profile. Also decided to give it a good wash to match the shiny wheels. So, here some before and after photos:

Before:

frontendwithalloysbefovd46.jpg

After:

frontendwithalloysafte2e7q.jpg

Before:

rearendwithalloysbeforsf74.jpg

After:

rearendwithalloysafteref37.jpg

Before:

img-20110729-01113ye4l.jpg

After:

img-20110730-01139xejr.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Strong work mate. Can tell a lot of time and money went into this project. Now hit it with the lowering stick to finish it off!

Love how all your before and after pics are precisely in the same position to each other too! OCD!?:lmfao:

Strong work mate. Can tell a lot of time and money went into this project. Now hit it with the lowering stick to finish it off!

Love how all your before and after pics are precisely in the same position to each other too! OCD!?:lmfao:

Thanks Bhavin, that means a lot mate. I'm quite worried about OCD myself, actually! :lmfao:

Hello everyone. I've got a few new updates as I've been busy working away on the car recently. Some of the stuff is pretty minor, the other stuff is much bigger.

Firstly, I did a really minor change that most people probably wouldn't actually bother doing. The O.C.D'er in me was unwilling to let this slide though. The number-plate screw cap on one side was missing and I also felt white caps would look better than black ones. So I changed them:

Before:

numberplatescrewcover1leps.jpg

After:

numberplatescrewcoverl1fwm.jpg

Secondly, my biggest update would be the removal of my old cloth seats and fitting of a complete leather interior and matching interior and door cards. My cloth drivers seat was pretty worn out, on the right hand side bolster so I figured this would be a good excuse to get a leather set. I went for a tan cream colour because I absolutely love how it stands out and I felt it matched my interior well. Wiring the front seat airbags which had different plugs took a bit of patience but thanks to my VCDS cable and some help from my father the airbags are wired up perfectly with no airbag warning light.

Front Seats & Door Cards Before:

img-20111105-001205cc36.jpg

Front Seats & Door Cards After:

img-20111108-00146ygdw1.jpg

Rear Seats Before:

img-20111105-0011781efw.jpg

Rear Seats After:

img-20111108-00149l4c3u.jpg

img-20111108-00148xncum.jpg

Finally, I also completed my LED interior conversion by fitting two 6-LED units into my boot and fitting two 16-LED units into the front "vanity mirror" slots. The LEDs really light up the light coloured interior at night.

Firstly, here's a picture of the boot LEDs. Unfortunately it came it pretty terribly. They really brighten up the boot at night in real life:

img-20111108-00164a6kag.jpg

All interior LEDs on, including the LED vanity mirror LEDs:

img-20111108-001631jeky.jpg

Lastly, one photo to show how much all of those LEDs brighten up the interior:

img-20111108-00160q8ejp.jpg

I hope you all like the progress made. I will update the thread again soon with new progress on the Audi. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
sorry, looks ridiculous, it's an 8l, it always will be, doing that just makes people think you're in denial of what you actually own...... the worst part by far is putting an s3 badge on it, that's like me putting an rs3 badge on my s3 !

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to sound harsh - but I think the headlights look gash and cheap (as do the rear lights) - I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the facelift lights on the front or rear of the 8L - they suit the car perfectly!, the interior LED conversion is good though, not really a fan of the 8P front conversion (although yours is the best I've seen... it still doesn't look 'right' IMO) and WTF is the S3 badges all about???.. as far as your interior is concerned if you want to treat/condition it and sort the scuff out on the drivers side bolster then I'd look into getting Gliptone Liquid Leather Scuffmaster kit - the stuff works wonders..

The LED's are well worth doing, I did mine a while back and its a good cheap mod. Certainly being able to see into the boot at night helps a lot! The standard bulbs are pants. :)

S3 badge :no:

looks awesome, havnt seen another 8l like that about

ignore the haters man! Carry on with what you're doing.

Modifying cars is such a personal thing, and we all do it for our own enjoyment, so if you like what you're doing to the car, and it makes you feel good about it, then who are we to shoot you down for it?

Clearly lots of hard work gone into that, and it's certainly unique :)

I agree with Bhavin though, needs lowering now to get the right look!

Hmmm not sure on this one - I like it yet dislike at the same time.

I like the look from the front as it really does look mean.
I like the LEDs inside and the DRLs
I like the smoothed bumper/spoiler on the back.
I like the new alloys - Great improvement.

I dislike that the front end doesn't match the rest of the car
I dislike the front bumper disappearing into the bonnet-lip
I dislike the rear lights/sidelights etc - Too much unnecessary LED'ing.
I dislike replacing a worn interior (especially driver's seat) with an also-worn interior (again driver's seat).
I dislike the S3 badge - Reminds me of the 'v6' stick-ons you can buy in Halfords and stick to your Saxo/106 etc.

Undecided overall - But will keep an eye on this one as if anything it's interesting!

Last edited:
So I have a pretty big update for this thread that has taken a fair bit of my time up, which I can summarise in a few photos:

Goodbye 1.6 normally aspirated engine:

img-20120609-00029n6ssp.jpg

Hello 1.8 turbo engine:

img-20130331-01888w2szi.jpg

It's a fair bit quicker now. Lots of engine modifications as I chase much more BHP soon, got to love the tune-ability of a turbo engine!

I have the whole donor 1.8t 5-door car breaking. Message me if you are interested in any of the parts (other than that which has already gone onto converting my car, so no engine, gearbox, drive-shafts, brakes etc. but lots of bodywork, interior parts etc. available).