Temp sender/Thermostat, costs?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, pre sale I need to get the temp sender or thermostat fixed. I'm only getting 250 miles to a tank and the temp guage is doing the usual 60'C until I stop, then it goes up to 90'C.

I just don't have the time to take it to Awesome GTI and will soon be in Londres. However, there is a great little garage next door to work that I have taken cars to for years.

Roughly how much do you guys feel I should be paying for the harder job to be done? I believe one of the jobs is a sinch, so will do that when I have a spare 15mins on an evening...

Cheers again!

Jamie

Thermostat is the bitch and the part cost about £10. Temp sender is around £5 and will take 5 mins to do.

I'd guess that most garages would charge you an hours labour to do the thermostat as they probably wont do it the way we do it, which is the fiddly way.

Then I'll do the temp sender first buddy, cheers for that, will get them to quote me on that basis.

Just a note- make sure you buy genuine parts - aftermarket tend to fail

Thermostat - £9
Sender - £27

Just a note- make sure you buy genuine parts - aftermarket tend to fail

Thermostat - £9
Sender - £27

Yer i bought a thermostat off ECP.
Failed twice on me in a month! going to do the job a third time with Audi parts!

Yer i bought a thermostat off ECP.
Failed twice on me in a month! going to do the job a third time with Audi parts!

Thanks Jdas, found a great guide on doing the sender later this week if I can get out to Audi.

Does the sendor always frow a fault when its knackered or not? I think mines knackered as i fitted one id had laying round but it wasnt genuine i dont think.

The temp sender does throw a code, not before you thrown your wallet at the petrol station

i got a temp sender and thermostat of ebay for ****** all i think it was £5 and £9. anyway i ended up taking the alternator off in the end as i couldn't get in the fiddly bit...then it got dark! oops. mine are 4mths old and are still ok. make sue you get the right colour sender, blue or green

Hmmm. The sender is £34 from Audi :S It's a green one for my car... sounds a lot more expensive than was mentioned previously???

Coolent Temp Sender from Ebay £9.99 + Postage Seller vw-parts-uk. easy job to do. Thermostat, I paid a local garage to do my wifes car, cost
£79 inc parts and labour, just had to take it back 2 times because of leaks.

DC

Jd09 you got the part number? An yes ours is the green one.

Fixed! 90'c and holding! Replaced the temp sender in 5 minutes.

However I am now a quarter tank of fuel down after celebrating with a, erm, spirited drive... ******!!

Mines got tobe ******** as ive got a new stat! How much it cost jd09?

JD let me know if your fuel economy improves, ive done my stat a few months ago, but aint done the sender, my temp is bang on 90 all the time, but my fuel is cr4p at the mo and has been like this for a while, im like you, gettting about 300miles to a tank, whereas before, I was getting more like 400ish.

JD let me know if your fuel economy improves, ive done my stat a few months ago, but aint done the sender, my temp is bang on 90 all the time, but my fuel is cr4p at the mo and has been like this for a while, im like you, gettting about 300miles to a tank, whereas before, I was getting more like 400ish.

Will do fella. Mine was the same. Circa 270 to a tank. Will report back.