oil catch tank help

tony696

Reaction score
I've had my oil catch tank fitter for about a month now and since I've fitted it i keep getting a puff of blue smoke out the back any no what this could be I've got a brand new turbo on
CR hybrid turbo
the only thing i could see it being is the inlets on the catch tank being to small so its not letting the engine breath properly

any one having the same fault since fitted catch tanks

Thanks Tony

Ive got one pipe from botyom breather teed off to top beather then that goes to tank then pipe off that to the mushroom thing then to the tip
thats right yeah

Yeah thats seems right, i had an issue with a pipe been bent under the engine cover when the bonnet went down, so check nothing is getting trapped when the bonnet is closed

Yep thats exactly how i had it on my mk2 20vt. How big are the pipes to your catch can? normally these are only 10mm ish anyways.

As Dave mentioned its most likely a vacuum leak or perhaps the nipple on the underside of the inlet manifold is still open letting in air? That has to be totally sealed.

Everything was perfect i got the right bends so it looked standard i think its where the standard one as a vaccum going to it when on -psi and +psi when coming on to boost so its helping it breath
Ive just put the standard one back on to see if theres any different

I am running cheap oil as the min to find my oil leak would this cause the blue smoke, ive found my oil leak silly rocker cover gasket the half moon one

If theres oil getting out, then therell be air getting in/out, which will, if you think about it be a leak to the crankcase breather system. Hence yes it could be that leaking thats causing the problem. If your going to change it id give everything a good going over. The slightest split in a pipe or leak can cause these problems.

I will give it a go over tomozz going to treat it to some good oil a filter as well

it could be oil being burnt on the exhaust manifold and the smoke following the exhaust out the back

I thought that at first but i sure looks like its coming out of the exhaust ive put the old breathing system back on and it seems to be the same it dont do it all the time