Forge VS Forge/Awesome DV

Reesy

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
What was a rare fluttering noise when lifting off the throttle has now become a lot more common. I'm going to be changing my DV, but is there a difference (other then the 'Awesome' logo) between the Awesome/Forge and the Forge DV?

Also, my 1.8tqs has a remap, would I be better with the green or the yellow spring?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thanks again Dave, any idea why the awesome one has had more effort put into it (the engraving) yet is cheaper? Also, without VAG COM I have no idea what sort of boost I'm running, what is standard for a remapped car?

Not entirely sure, was done by the previous owner. All I know is: it's too smooth to be a revo, and was done by a 1 man outfit from Swansea...

I have the 'Awesome' branded one - 'tis the same just cheaper.
I'll be putting the yellow spring I bought recently in mine - good for Stage One S3s, presumably for yours too.

What would be the problem if the wrong spring was used anyway? I'm assuming too hard would mean the valve wouldn't open.

Awesome say that below 15psi, the green spring is recommended and above 15psi, the yellow one is. What sort of boost do remapped 1.8t's run at?

Apologies for all the questions!

yours is a KO3s being a TQS so anything between 210 and 220 I'd say if its nice and healthy?

as for PSI, who knows....18psi?

Without plugging it in and not knowing what map it is there's really no way of knowing.

mine is 22psi on a ko3s, ive got the awesome forge valve and hate it, looks tacky and chavvy i think! ive also got the green spring with no problems

Tom - I am expecting it to be at least 210 (I hope) as it has a full system as well. Think I might have to invest in VCDS as the nearest member on the map is about a 120 mile round trip.

quattro1 - I'll be buying the black dv, and the only reason I'm getting the awesome one is that the extra £15 can be spent on V-power or put towards a black forge TIP.

yeah ive got the black one, just a shame the logo is so big and in white! ive also got the black forge tip, makes a nice difference but is an absolute ****** getting the jubalee clip on the turbo side of the tip!

have you got a stainless downpipe and decat/sports cat aswell? if so where did you get them??

You need to put the jubilee clip on, tighten it up about 1" away from the bottom end of the tip BEFORE putting it anywhere near the car. Then, when you're under the car swearing you can un-nip the jubilee and slide it into position.

Its a right c*nt of a job trying to get it on once the tips threaded through the engine bay!.

I have the black one but then on the A4 its tucked away. If you dont like the writing then spray it..

You can't really see the DV that clearly with the engine cover on though, so :shrug:. I don't really fancy doing the TIP, but that'll have wait for a couple of weeks until the next pay day anyway, this one's all gone already! It's nice to talk to someone with a TQS, we're quite a rare breed!

It was a custom pipe, also done before I got it, so apologies but I can't help you out on that one.

ahhh well wait till you get your fmic then try putting your friggin engine cover back on :laugh:

070cd166.jpg

yeah tell me about it! i swear theres only 4 or 5 of us on here! lol, ahh no worries, just hunting around for a downpipe and decat/sports cat package now as its the last thing i need before getting the hybrid, havent seen a setup for less than £700 yet so have been abit put off! seems abit steeo! so having it already done has saved you a few quid!! lol

It's nice to talk to someone with a TQS, we're quite a rare breed!

that is true not seen many about mainly s3 or fwd 1.8t where did you get the custom exhaust from and also is it a full system including down pipe?

how come ur fmic pipe goes like that mine is all tucked away and looks standard on top till u look out front

I am also looking at going the hybrid turbo route. What fmic's are you guys using?

get a pic up paul, did you fit it yourself? maybe someone has done a stealth install, seems to be quite popular, i wanted to run larger pipework so using most of the standard setup wasnt an option for me

ive got a toyosports kit, am looking at getting a larger intercooler though when its time for the hybrid because the core isnt that big

How much difference did the polybushes make to the car quattro1? Have you got any links to which ones you got?

Was thinking of getting an S3, but what with me only being 19, I think upgrading/replacing standard items and then the hybrid option on the a3 is a better, more financially sensible option.

rear wishbone bush ebay Item number: 120670418354 get the cast wishbone bushes, theyr for an s3 but fit the a3 wishbones just as good and they are stiffer and dont have a void in them like the a3 ones do.

front wishbone bush (i know it says fwd but all front a3 bushed are the same) Item number: 250639563350

they made a massive difference, i fit them shortly after fitting the coilovers and ive got pretty much no understeer at all now!

ive chosen to hybrid my a3 because it'l be quicker than the majority of s3's and i wanted it to be abit of a sleeper, cheaper insurance is a bonus though! lol

Thanks alot, just starting to gradually do bits to mine now. All i want to do is performance mods, but I'm convincing myself that maintenance mods are more important to start with!

I quite like the idea of a sleeper as well, just for that look on peoples faces as you pull away. Insurance for me is bad enough already (£1700), so an S3 isn't really practical.

Have you had yours lowered by any chance?

yeah i started with maintenance first, gives you a very nice base to work on then! yeah ive already caught a few people out! mainly UK spec impreza's

yeah ive lowered mine a fair bit and went from 45 to 40 pro tyres on 17"s

not had any problems with it so far but the front bumper is very very close to the floor lol best money ive spent on the car so far i think!

got any pics? mine is sitting too high on the 17's i've got. I'm getting some new tyres soon and was thinking of dropping to 40's as well. The worst thing about maintenance jobs is its a lot of time/money for what seems like not alot of end result..

ha yeah thats exactly how i thought about it! but better to replace stuff now before you go for power, than have the power and something annoying break! coilpacks being the main ****** headache!

just went and took these! exuse the state of it, the s3 bumper is only temporary aswell :p

the back is going lower again this weekend, raised it for abit of offroading! lol

85df7118.jpg

9445e3e1.jpg

c40a12b1.jpg

the only problem ive run into is that after lowering and putting the smaller tyres on its hilighted just how much i need some wheel spacers!

What headlights are those?

and yes...wheel spacers required ;)

black angel eyes, not my first choice because most angel eyes look horrendous but i dont think they look that bad!

what sorta size spacers do you think i need? theres sooo much room in the rear wheel wells

I'm thinking of getting some spacers when all the maintenance is done, only a subtle mod but if you know what you're looking at, then you know its been done. I'm assuming you've got coilies on it?

For anyone who's changed their DV, did you use 2 jubilee clips and 1 zip tie for the vacuum hose?

Just changed it over, was a piece of ****, even for a mechanical idiot like me. Worst part was getting the crimped clamp off of the vac hose, that took more time then anything else..