What must I do???

Dan S3

Reaction score
After reading through a few build threads I've come to realize I may have gotten in a bit deeper then I initially intended.

The head gasket blew on my 2001 amk s3 so I took the head of and found a crack across the exhaust valves on cyl 4 and a crack on the exhaust manifold. After debating whether to keep the car or not and flicking through a few dub mags I found a company that offered rebuild my engine with pistons, con rods, cams and all as well as sorting the head. I also wanted a stage 1 map so I went for it, had the car towed to amd they sent the engine off and set about a few extras while the engine was being built. AP coillies, induction kit, hoses, dv and some other little bits. I then got a phone call and was told that the turbo had cracked :banghead:
I thought for the price difference and with future plans in mind I went for the hybrid option. amd's advised me that it would be fine considering I still have the standard intercoolers, down pipe, an oem exhaust manifold, standard injectors, and standard size brakes.

Is there anything that I should also get done asap as i dont want ruin the work, money, time going into a car I really have become stuck on.

and breathe

It depends how much money you've got left dude and what you want from it

With the right map I'm sure it'll work but it won't reach welly's dizzying heights. However I'm changing/ I have changed all of those bits you mention at the end for my hybrid build.

If you've got the dosh it worth updating all those things, the exhaust mani is the only obvious problem there though.

I'll get a nose bleed at welly's heights :) It's still got to be a daily driver, the 280 mark would be nice!

My money has began to run thin, but to spend a bit more to protect whats been done already only makes sense.

Can the exhaust mani cause any dangerous problems???

cheers

I'll get a nose bleed at welly's heights :) It's still got to be a daily driver, the 280 mark would be nice!

My money has began to run thin, but to spend a bit more to protect whats been done already only makes sense.

Can the exhaust mani cause any dangerous problems???

cheers

Your exhaust manifold will be fine, it would be the potential for boost spikes, and fuelling that would be my only real concern.

Is your car a facelift model for starters?

I would consider buying a good Manual Boost Controller and running it in parallel to cap any boost spikes.

To get the best from what you've got - you should seriously consider a 3" downpipe and certainly a front mount.

At 280 BHP, the injectors will be getting close to being maxxed out, if not maxxed out already.

Ideally what needs to happen is you need to get it on a dyno with someone who knows the 1.8T engine (Bill springs to mind) just to get some logging done and find out exactly what is happening inside the engine with regard to fuelling, boost etc.

That way you can make some informed decisions about the way forward.

Sorry, a good reliable exhaust mani is just hard to find, but fingers crossed the Welly's xs power will do the business. I think speedy steves still runs a standard exhaust mani but it doesn't let the hybrid flow to its potential, but then again if you only want 280 it might be ok, im no expert though speak to Bill at badger 5

Sorry, a good reliable exhaust mani is just hard to find, but fingers crossed the Welly's xs power will do the business. I think speedy steves still runs a standard exhaust mani but it doesn't let the hybrid flow to its potential, but then again if you only want 280 it might be ok, im no expert though speak to Bill at badger 5

The stock mani will be fine, it just only flow what it can flow, will be restrictive and thus create heat.

Cheers for the info guys!

Mine is a face lift model, what's the difference??? XS/Pipewerx down pipe also was wondering if I would be okay with the vxr injectors for now as I work fir vauxhall?

Welly I think I need to read through your thread again in a bit more detail. Where is Bill based?

Facelift model will have wideband lambda meaning it should be able keep fuelling under control OK.

You can't fit injectors with a Stage 1 map, as the ma won't know the injectors are bigger and you will get FAR too much fuel really. You can't just slap injectors on and off you go sadly.

Wideband lambda should accommodate some of it, but it's not recommended at all to do it that way.

VXR injectors will struggle to get past about 290 from my experience, but you will need them to be mapped to suit.

Advice taken in!!!

I'll search for parts tonight and go through the prices in welly's thread tonight.

Cheers guys :)

Nice one!

I'll give bill a call when I get her back!