Fuel pump problems

nunzio42

Reaction score
what about the New Zealand score /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hi
I have a problem with my 2002 154kw S3. I think my fuel pump is giving me problems but this only happens after more than 70km's of driving. The car begins to surge excessively and eventually gets so bad that it cannot be driven. Wait a few hours and then the car goes like nothing is wrong... I learnt this the hard way by having my car driven to a dealer who checks it the following day and reports that my car is fine! WTF ????

They test the pump and they are happy with the pressure. Ofcourse i tell them that it will only happen when the pump gets hot. So the $%^&ers leave the car to idle for 2 hours and then test the pump and since there was no strain at all on the pump it passes all pressure tests.

I am convinced that the pump is faulty and i am going to tell them to go ahead and change it. I will have to pay for everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif which sucks. They will then send the pump back to the factory to have it properly tested and then reverse my payment if they detect any faults.

Has anyone had fuel pump problems? Can i diagnose a faulty fuel pump with VAG-COM?
Any advice will be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

could there be a blocked breather pipe causing a vaccum in the tank? Would be odd with such a new car though. You say it surges? What exactly do you mean, is it loosing power and then picking back up again?

I had this type of problem on my old Fiat Uno Turbo (Dont laugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Same symptoms, drive for a bit and then it would run bad. Leave it for 20 -30 mins and it would be ok again.

Is the pump noisy?

Rich.

Hi

No pump is not noisy, sounds quite normal.
Yes, car stops and then moves forward agressively. Sometimes when i press the accelerator down the engine doesnt even rev up like it should, sometimes even dies. This has also happened when no gears have been selected (in neutral)...
My mileage is 100K. Since the problem only happens when whatever is faulty heats up i am going to back that it is indeed a faulty pump. The pump is really expensive to replace but i have been without my Black Bitch for far too long (2 weeks and counting) and hopefully i will get my money back...eventually!

Khufu, i dont understand how a breather pipe will become blocked only after the car runs for +70km's so i going to rules this out!

Thanks for the input guys.

Going to call the dealer now...

Will let you know how it goes...

I know nothin about fuel systems but could the problem be further down the line - somewhere in the fuel delivery that gets affected by other parts.
E.g. pump works fine, but fuel line between pump and engine might be getting restricted somehow?
Just a thought.

I like khufu's suggestion - that vacuum could be causing it - maybe you could see if opening fuel cap briefly makes the problem go away. You say you normally leave it for 20-30 mins - instead of waiting that time, try the fuel cap and see if pressure evens out and gets things working again?

The boys right. THere are a few things that could cause it.

a few suggestions:

1) Fuel filter (when was it last replaced?)
2) Fuel Pressure Regulator
3) Injectors
4) vacuum line to FPR

problems like this can be funny and not at all logical.

Rich

Fiat Uno Turbo's rock! I would love a project one now!

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Fiat Uno Turbo's rock! I would love a project one now!

[/ QUOTE ]

The best fun I've had in a car! Simply crazy machine when tuned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SYNAPS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
The boys right. THere are a few things that could cause it.

a few suggestions:

1) Fuel filter (when was it last replaced?)
2) Fuel Pressure Regulator
3) Injectors
4) vacuum line to FPR

problems like this can be funny and not at all logical.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the check list Rich.
I have had the filter replaced and this doesnt solve the problem.
The fact that the problems occurs after many km's of driving and then goes away after the car has a 'rest' must be indicative of something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If an injector was faulty would it not be consistantly so...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but dont rule it out completely. heat can do funny things!

How many times had this problem occured?

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Khufu, i dont understand how a breather pipe will become blocked only after the car runs for +70km's so i going to rules this out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be the intake hose collapsing?? After a few miles, the rubber gets good and warm (i.e. soft) then when you step on it, the engine tries to get all that air, sucking the intake hose in on itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Then when it cools down, it stiffens up enough to hold??

Just an idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif