Gap between Rear brake pad and disc

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a look at the brakes last night as they feel crap. Dunno if they just need bleeding or something but they just feel **** like all the braking is at the front. Anyway i noticed at the back the rear pads are both like 2-3mm away from the disc (plenty of tread left)this cant be right surely? the front is almost touching which seems normal to me. Any ideas im thinking seized piston or something?

Also side question does the handbrake do just the rear brakes or all 4?

Handbrake works just the rears.

If there is an obvious gap between rear pads and discs, is it possible to get sdomeone to press the brake pedal for you, while you look at the pads to see if they move against the disc.

Might help to know wether a caliper is seized. Or if you have a jack, jack the rear up and spin the wheel and get someone to hit the brake to see if the wheel stops dead.

Like above, something dont sound right with that.

If you roll the car a little bit and put the handbrake on, what happens?
It should stop the car and have even braking on both sides.

Like above, something dont sound right with that.

If you roll the car a little bit and put the handbrake on, what happens?
It should stop the car and have even braking on both sides.

ill try this on the way home.

and the other stuff at the weekend. im just taking it easy now for obvious reasons.

thanks all!

Sounds like a siezed caliper. Real common :( you can pop the piston out and re-grease but the only long term is to replace

if im gonna have to replace i may aswell upgrade :sly:

i done the rolling test last night and it braked at the rear but hardly done anything at all. Like uber weak!

when parked i put the handbrake on. the car didnt roll but if i got out and pushed it, it went forward no problem!

its like when u just put the handbrake on 1 click but it was on like 5 clicks :huh:

Just needs adjusting or still sounds like something has seized?

cheers

I'd side with it being seized but it might be worth taking the calipers off and give the pad runners a clean and check the caliper to make sure every thing appears ok.

All else fails, upgrade time. :)

ok ill have a go at the weekend time permitting. i may just take it to my local indy and get them to sort it quick as the missus is buggin to go to lakeside shopping on saturday.

thanks again lads

oh anyone know some of the upgrade options? nothing too fancy as its just the rear but any suggestions welcome

TT rears which use the bigger vented discs. Chris on BucksVag has done it on his Fabia so you could always have a work or have a search around the net to see whats needed and so on. He reported a nice change from them with 312`s on the front.

Last edited: