such a thing as comfortable lowering?

Jordan1.8t

Reaction score
My cars on jom coilovers at the minute.

But to be honest im seriously thinking about changing the suspension to something abit. More comfortable.

I find the jom's quite crashy. I love the way my car sits, but since fitting the coilovers the cars devolped interior rattkes etc and it just makes me think im ruining the german build quality of my car, its just not for me.

I want something that i can gets a good stance (not slammed)
Just something makin it less boat like handling compared to oem.
Any suggestions?

Cars a a3 1.8t 2001

Bilstien B8's baby... and either Eibach, H&R or Apex springs :)

<tuffty/>

Im looking for at least a 50mm droped though tbh.

Are they still good with 50mm h&r springs? On 18's

Anyone got a pictures?

For a 50mm drop you'd need coilovers really, and that means bumpy bumpy.

I second the Billy B8s and H&R/Apex springs (Eibach if you want a little softer).

Why 50mm? you are not gonna get a decent ride lowering that much...

This is mine on -30mm Apex springs and 18" wheels
20100301_IMG_4011.jpg

If you want to go 50mm lower then the only choice you really have is coil overs and put up with the ride quality (or lack of...) they provide...

<tuffty/>

Standard S Line with 18 inchers is harsh enough for me. Would not like to go any harsher than that !!!!!! I mean whats the point !!!! Shake your fillings out for 5 hours on a trip to The Highlands arrive there and think well it looks low and mean parked outside but my ****** teeth ache after that journey !!!!!!!!!!!

But s3's are lower to start with if i remember correctly? So a 50mm kit in an a3 would be equivilant to 30mm on s3?

Why 50mm? you are not gonna get a decent ride lowering that much...

This is mine on -30mm Apex springs and 18" wheels
20100301_IMG_4011.jpg

If you want to go 50mm lower then the only choice you really have is coil overs and put up with the ride quality (or lack of...) they provide...

<tuffty/>

Why would you want to go lower? This pic looks pretty much spot on to me, the wheels fill the arches nicely and the car sits really well.
I'd be scared to death of driving with a 50mm drop, mine is standard and I've caught the sump a few times (manholes on cobbled streets) and the lip on the front bumper seems to love kissing speed bumps and cushions.

But s3's are lower to start with if i remember correctly? So a 50mm kit in an a3 would be equivilant to 30mm on s3?

Only due to springs... 30mm is 30mm... the Apex springs are actually for an A3 Quattro... the suspension is essentially the same (FWD A3's having different rears) S3's get 10mm lower springs than the A3 but the platforms on the front struts are the same (even if the damping rates are a tad different)

<tuffty/>

I see i see, cheers for clearing that up. I may have to invest.

Well ive got to say my kw,s arnt crashy at all, very suprising, slightly stiffer than my gmbh setup, but the handling sure makes up for it... its not all about the looks...

Im on AP collies, over a week now, drop is about 35-40mm, ride quality is very much like oem but, car feels more solid, not a lot of roll and steering very sharp. My wife drove it and said that it feels more bouncy compared to hers, she had no complaints!!

DC

its not riding on the bump stops is it? that makes it really crashy!!

I must admit my JOM coilovers have introduced all sorts of new noises and rattles. new bushes throughout now!!