Help!!! audi a3 1.8t 1998 (aug). No compression on cylinder 1

dandos

Reaction score
Iv been told that this is the valves but worse case senario its the pistons!!
Just want to know if its worth getting it fixed, or maybe even upgrade while the engines apart. iv seen a cylinder head refurb for £350 but could i do a timing belt on my own?:unsure:

come on people im new to this website and i would really appreciate some help. If i buy a new head what else should i replace/upgrade?

if ur changing the belt u wanna do the tensioner and the water pump at the same time to save on future labour costs.

cant really advise on the engine stuff im afraid mate. is that £350 all in?

You really need to get the engine stripped first so that people can make informed sugestions... i meen the cam belt could have slipped , a piston could have holed ,, rings could have shattered, a valve could have dropped causing all the others ... lots of things could have happened... untill you strip it , who knows

So it looks like I'm gonna be taking off the head, but while I'm there is it worth upgrading anything else apart from the valves? I will be getting a cambelt kit I think it comes with water pump anyway. Is a cambelt especially difficult to fit on an a3 1.8t 1998 fwd?

Not too hard, I'm assuming it's the same as the S3 so runs around the engine mount which is a bit of a pig to get off but with the head off you've a bit more room. If you aren't replacing the vibration damper you'll have to get a bit of 5mm threaded bar a nut and a big washer to compress it. This is most fun to try and get on! I changed the damper but when I pulled the pin I found I was one tooth out so had to compress it again to alter the timing, still got the scabs on my knuckles now.

no, front wheel drive so the cambelts at the side in front of the driver. Any suggestions for mods while iv got the head off? Maybe a KO3s turbo or uprated valves???