has anyone done a 'how to' thread for removing a standard s3 downpipe??

Rob_B

Reaction score
hi chaps,j
just wondering if anyone has dont one?? if not if they could just give me the heads up on how is the best way to go about it?

im removing mine on saturday hopefully so just want to do a bit of research...i here you need to drop the subframe down a tad??

ive got my own workshop with 2 post ramp and and pretty much every tool(air and hand tools) so this should make it a tad easier

any help and advice greatly appreciated

regards
rob

hopefully welly will pop up and give me a few words of wisdom...i dont need to worry about re fitting it as that will be done but the guy making my exhaust up

OK, a few words of wisdom.... It's an ****.

It's an easy job apart from one thing. Getting the OEM downpipe out of the engine bay from the back, and then down and out.

I have heard of people doing it with everything in situ. I hold that extremely suspect.

Two ways of doing it.

First is to drop the subframe, which I would recommend. Expect the bolts to be tight as hell though.

Second is to drop the front end of the prop. A faff in general, and dropping the subframe down is much easier.

Basic procedure is something like this:

Remove exhaust system, including cats. Unbolt the cats from the downpipe to do this.

Undo the turbo - downpipe nuts. 3 of them on the K04. Options on access are through the wheel arch with long extensions, from above and from below.

Drop the subframe down - unbolt and use a something to support it.

Extract OEM downpipe.

Reverse process for fitting new downpipe and find it is a million times easier.

Make sure you get a gasket for the turbo/downpipe join.

Last edited:
haha cheers welly, doesnt sound too bad then..i dismantle cars for a living so that should help

also as i said above im not putting the new one on..im getting that custom made so will leave that to those guys

all i have to do is get the old one off to lower the labour costs for the new one.

how low do i need to drop the subframe?

also baring in mind the equipment i have and that im a bit of a spanner monkey what would you say a rough time it will take?

Reactions: Kristianbowler
In which case mate, just cut the ******* out.... If you aren't fussed about it, and to be fair you won't need it again, break out the air saw.

Make the job 100 times easier.

A few hours if your going to cut it out - technically it's not hard in honesty.

how much if you remove it without cutting mate?

also i had a quick look underneath...where do you cut the ******?? is it in the middle?

how much if you remove it without cutting mate?

also i had a quick look underneath...where do you cut the ******?? is it in the middle?

An hour and a half maybe?

Yeah, somewhere in the middle. It's the size and shape that makes it awkward to get out. If you cut across the two pipes, it makes life so much easier.

Cut it wherever you need to really.

so 2hours to cut it and 3.5hours to pull it out in one piece?

i suppose i wont need the front pipe anymore? as if i need to put a cat in i can do that without the front section...looks like i will be getting a nice shiny new blade on the airsaw...lol

so 2hours to cut it and 3.5hours to pull it out in one piece?

i suppose i wont need the front pipe anymore? as if i need to put a cat in i can do that without the front section...looks like i will be getting a nice shiny new blade on the airsaw...lol

To be fair, it shouldn't even take that long, especially not with a ramp.