Annoying Sunroof Issues

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So on Saturday the sun came out finally wooooo and I decided it would be nice to have the sunroof open! (for the first in a year probably - not ever had issues with it and I oiled the tracks last summer so it was nice and smooth)

Anyway fully made it slide open and no problem - it was glorious! Came to shut it again and it closed half way?! Random I thought… So I turned the dial fully open and close and it still only closed half way - this carried on for a good 15mins! Interestingly it didn't register a 'click' (usually a click on the dial opens it a tiny amount) only as soon as u fully turned it on the dial would it start to open…

The weird thing is when it tries to close and get half way the only other way I could get it to close further was when you pull pull the dial down (usually used to opening the sunroof vertically) and it will close another tiny bit to 2/3rds and that's it! Arggggggggghhhhh!

So I had to take the switch of in the end and overide it manually by closing it using the allen key on the motor. (obv tried dis and reconnecting it and the same thing happened) I checked all the tracks and there's nothing blocking them…

I tried opening it again fully closed once id manually shut it with the allen key and it had no problems sliding open again BUT wouldn't close again!!!! Even if i only try to open it vertically by pulling the dial down it resorts to sliding it open?!?! V frustrating… Mechanically it seems fine and the tracks are clear visually.

Anyone experienced anything like this before or can offer any suggestions? Greatly appreciated.

no experience with S3 sunroofs but sounds like a faulty switch, would it be worth exsposing the switch components and checking for damage?

Agreed, sounds like a dicky switch.

One point to make is that if you press 'up' to make it tilt, it should automatically close all the way and then tilt up. At which point you can pull it back down...

Just a thought for a temp work around.

Cheers guys - great I bet that whole unit cost the best part of £100 'guesstimate!' :(

Thanks Welly - although as I said when I pressed the dial 'up' when it was halfway shut nothing would happen. Then if if pulled the dial 'down' it would just slide close another tiny bit then nothing else.. :(

I also read if you put the key in the drivers door lock and held it in the lock position it would close everything... But again got to 2/3rd and nothing else - was worth a try though.

So dodgy switch then chaps hopefully? Thanks for the feedback.

Yep, I would imagine it's a switch that tells the control module when the sunroof is shut that's broken.

Sounds to me like it works OK - however the sensor isn't feeding the right information back to the module to tell it that the roof is still open.

There is also the possibility that something is stuck in the track I guess, and it's safety non close thing (i.e. if your kid has his/her head out of it) is stopping it from closing. Might be worth checking.

Cheers Welly - yeah that's what I thought.

Yeah I had a look at the tracks and shine a torch in there when it was half and fully open and couldn't find any obvious debris stopping it... I presume if it opens fine ok with no strains it would suggest the tracks are clear would you say?

Help! Ive managed to take my console apart and take this part of: Sunroof rotary switch Audi A3 A4 A6 RS4 4B0959613B from
SDC15958%20[Web%20largest].JPG

BUT I cant pry the dam thing open to check the circuit board... Anyone taken the rotary switch apart before? What a royal pain.... There's one plastic lug but it all seems to be molded together. :(

If it's moulded together dude it's get a new unit from Audi time IMO.

I'd love to help but never taken one apart myself.

Cheers Welly - yeah I suppose it is... I just kinda want to visually inspect as there's a chance it may not be the switch you see..... But I suppose it's the cheapest option to try first.

Sounds to me like it works OK - however the sensor isn't feeding the right information back to the module to tell it that the roof is still open.

If it's got a sensor you will be able to check it in VCDS. Like with the door sensors it gives a "1" when open and a "0" when closed. If you can find the sensor in VCDS it would be interesting to see if it thinks it's closed or not.

If I had a sunroof I could find out the block number for you.

I think it will be the switch, it will be a relay not operating correctly

See, now I do agree, however the sunroof switch is a multi position switch. It has about 5 (I think) different levels, as to how much you want the roof to be open. It sounds like the contact on the closed and semi open positions are knackered, which is why it is only closing to a certain amount.

As you move the switch around through the positions, it closes to the last contacted position.

Whatever it is it's a pain in the ****.

So am I doing the right thing trying the switch? Is that where the relay is kept??? Confused.com

have you tried holding down the lock button on the key fob

closes my sunroof which ever way it is open

Yes I have tried the key in the door method and it stops 3/4 on close.... Hmm think your right s3dave that would suggest the switch is ok wouldn't it? DAMMMMM ...

Although that said it still doesn't register a 'click' on the dial as a tiny movement... It'll simply do nothing until the switch reaches nearly full way round before it starts to open... And again on close each 'click' on the dial doesn't transpire to a tiny notch...

Last edited:
Theres isn't mate no - may have to shoot over you yours at some point if you dont mind. <if u have it>

I'm actually thinking that's not a bad idea ha - I'll even bring a bargain bucket from KFC! :p

Well I'm doing a few jobs tonight and then again tomorrow as my poker game has been called off. I'll then be doing my suspension next friday night. I think Finesse is popping round on Saturday 2nd to have his rocker cover and cam adjuster gasket done!

I should open a garage!

LOL!

Guys quick question - in your opinion is it still worth me trying the switch? I believe I can return it to Audi.... Even though on keylock is still only closes 2/3rds or am I wasting my time?

LOL!

Guys quick question - in your opinion is it still worth me trying the switch? I believe I can return it to Audi.... Even though on keylock is still only closes 2/3rds or am I wasting my time?

Thats a tough one to call dude.... I don't know really. It is tempting as you have it there.

Cheers Audi want £53 for the part <no way am paying that!> and these guys here: Sunroof rotary switch Audi A3 A4 A6 RS4 4B0959613B from want £25 and it's brand new - all there stuff is overflow stock from Audi they buy in bulk. Hmmmmm - my sunroof has been closed all year so nothing physically could have gone in the tracks to cause resistance, have also visually inspected them to... So annoying.

Everyone loves happy endings don't they? Well im pleased to be able to report on here - finally fixed my issue.... FOR FREE! :)

After taking the switch of - disconnecting the switch as suggested by an Audi Tech and connecting it again it still did the same thing. So I was about to order the switch but before I put it together I thought.. hmm I wonder if pulling the fuse out and back in will help.

So I manully closed it again with the allen key set the sunroof dial to closed - pulled the sunroof fuse out... (looked fine I knew it would be as it was working) but it back in and VOILA! Sunroof opens and closes perfectly and in increments again?! RESULT! :) :) So somehow mit must of reset it's positioning - if this happens to anyone else try pulling the fuse before forking out on a switch or motor! Very pleased - on tilt as we speak! Thanks for all your advice guys.

Reactions: J B
So on to the next issue - drives side door lock issue not registering closed (in hot weather lol!) Somehow I don't think pulling the fuse will help in the instance haha.