AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

coilovers fitted with pics...

morning all. Thought you may like to see some pics.

easy job to do with no major issues, sun was shining. good days work i say....

i think it is lowered 50-60mm ish as it had the sport suspension before which i believe is 10mm lowered and i definately put it down another 40-50mm. the rear was wound all the way down. who knows?! anyways, no rubbing on the arb so maybe i'm lucky and someone has upgraded it in the past to one with a bigger loop?...

10mm spacers for rear still in post somewhere! typical!

fitting the coilovers has highlighted just how shot the wishbone bushes are but they didn't arrive till today so thats a job for next weekend!

I get the impression my car is not everyones cup of tea due to the lack of feedback in the past! thats cool, but i hope you think lowering it helps a bit....

sorry about poor mobile pics

before

after

2. # ADS
    ADS

It's never fast enough !

Status
    Hemel Hempstead (home) / Loughborough (UNI)
    Unique FTW !! If the front bumper matched I think I might just love it
    99' S3 APY currently just 007p, Badger 5 TIP, Customised Miltek non-res cat-back, Jetex cone, H&R Springs and Bilstein B8 Dampers ... 3" Downpipe, AH Fabrications FMIC and R-Tech Re-map on the way

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Nice work but start saving for sumps LOL...

Actually... I remember a mate of mine saying there are some spacers available that fit under the engine mounts to lift the whole engine etc up giving more clearance for the sump... can't remember the exact details but they are popular with the VW boys as they go bonkers on lowering their cars...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    my other car has an inch clearance at the sump so i am used to driving low cars, its all about avoidance! tbh this is actually a lot higher as it seems uneffected by speed bumps so should not be too much of an issue. I am slowly turning my practical daily into something which isn't!

I sorted some quotes for the bumper but it is just a bit too much at the moment as i wanted to get all the other little bits sorted at the same time. So i will wait till summer comes round and do it myself (i have experience! but it will have to be outside unfortunately). only got the coilies as they were brand new for 100!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Looking good, i seem to be ok with the sump, just aware thats all, raised iron works sends shivers down my back though

3rd Gear

Status

ptr
    1st Gear

Status
    I love it, bit of a rat look with the mismatched bumper and no grill.

I'd get some pressed licence plates from dubmeister and put the rear audi badge back on.

4th Gear

Status
    Car looks nice mate I remember seeing another post about your front bumper I think about 2 months ago and your car now looks so much better I like your wheels too great job!!!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Looks 10x better lowered mate, not everyone's cup of tea like you say, but I quite like it!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

3rd Gear

Status
    cheers guys. Its a slow work in progress as i am not really meant to be spending money on it! its supposed to be my run around. in the blood i guess
    I'd get some pressed licence plates from dubmeister and put the rear audi badge back on.
    have these on my other car. will get some next month when funds allow. 25 posted off ebay make a massive difference!
    I took the rear badge off. I like smooth, will be losing rear wiper and gloss black the roof and bonnet with wrap soon once it warms up a touch. need to find an s3 grill too....
    tbh have to do general maintenance and insurance before i do anything else!

thing is it is a high mileage and has no history so not much point in spending a bomb making it perfect, may as well make it a bit of fun really.

old wheels and not lowered....grim.

3rd Gear

Status
    so after a bit of driving and a bit of settling the arb is now rubbing most of the time! 2 options, 1. wind it back up 5mm and it should stop. 2. buy these Audi A3 -03 METAL FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR DROP LINK RODS x2 on eBay (end time 12-Apr-11 12:45:33 BST) and cut in half and weld a new section in to the required length. new bushes and cheap. i like it low and don't want to put it back up!!

3rd Gear

Status

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve bain View Post
    so after a bit of driving and a bit of settling the arb is now rubbing most of the time!
    I would raise it 5mm temporarily, I've read storied in the past where the drive shaft have snapped in two from rubbing against the ARB over time.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Alex

Status
    Looks a lot better now it's lower, will look even better after you get the bumper sprayed.

Who's scirocco is that in the back ground?
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

1st Gear

Status

BBP

Status
    I think the added bits (front bumper, skirts and rear bumper) make it look lower than it is. Best way to avoid rubbing is to fit a Whiteline ARB which goes underneath the driveshaft as opposed to looping over it which will eradicate the issue entirely.

Or you can do like me and just get rid of the ARB altogether...(not recommending this in any way)

17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

3rd Gear

Status
    That's my scirocco storm mate. It's my money pit. It has everything and I love it. Owned it for 11 years now.