WHAT IS THIS THING?

LITTLE_BANDIT

Reaction score
Hello,

i have 1.8t quattro and recently got my clutch buried to the floor, it didn't want to come back. my mechanic had a look and said that i have a leak and need to replace clutch slave cylinder. I had a look on web to get this part and it looks like that:
FTE Audi | Euro Car Parts UK

whereas the part in my car that needs replacement looks like that:Welcome to Facebook
now I'm not sure what to make of this, any ideas?

Ok, well I'm not on facebook so can't see your second picture! However the link to eurocar parts is for the main clutch pedal cylinder, you could say the mastercylinder, one in the foot well. Why they have called it the slave cylinder I don't know, maybe they have the wrong picture up. Anyway the slave cylinder is in the gearbox bell housing and is round, like a dounut with a pipe coming off it, is that the one in facebook picture? .

The clutch pedal relies on the pressure plate to force fluid back to raise the clutch, if it's leaked or the seals gone the pedal stays on the floor unless you have a broken clutch pedal/bracket which is also common.

Thanks for replies. I'm a total noob and normally i would go to a mechanic but this time i'm short on money so I have no choice but to try and fix it myself:unsure: I had a look at that with my mechanic - Paul, but he specializes in Minis. We checked the pedal and it seems ok. There is a photo of the thingy that my mechanic thinks is faulty:

DSC_0030.jpg picture by BOB_TROGLODYTE - Photobucket

is it a breather that goes to slave cylinder or what? I remember Paul attached pipe to it and i was pumping the clutch (there was little no resistance) and a bit of old black brake liquid came out , but it was less than he expected.

That's why I have suspicions about clutch master cylinder - if the seal in it is broken it would have the same effect.

The engine code is ARY (I guess that's it):
DSC_0032.jpg picture by BOB_TROGLODYTE - Photobucket

where abouts is the leak ? is it under the car from the gearbox, or from the connecter in your picture ?