loose/floaty steering

benk

Reaction score
At the moment, my steering feels loose and plain "wrong" when accelerating out of any moderate corner. For example a small roundabout - when in 2nd and feeding in power, steering too tight results in the front sliding out way too easily, sometimes requiring me to correct with opposite-steer if I don't get off the power to stop the slide.

This definitely isn't normal but I don't know whether the problem could be as simple as tracking being out, or something else (would a front anti roll bar or bush problem cause this kind of thing?).
I think tracking would have to be pretty awful to cause this - normally tracking would give a slight judder at motorway speeds and show up as needing steering wheel off-centre to correct for it, so I think this is something else.

Most of the time the steering feels ok (motorway, gentle curves, etc), but on sharper corners it just feels like there isn't as much grip once the wheels are turned past a certain point.

I'm at 75k miles, 1.8T sport, next service due 5k miles... not sure I want to wait that long...

Many thanks for any comments.
B

You could get your tracking checked...

Also, perhaps look at the whole suspension geometry to ensure it's all as it should be...

Also, check your tyre pressures...

Failing that, welcome to the world of ill handling Audis!

Tyre pressures are good - recently stuck them all at about 31 which is about how I like them.
Checked tyres for shoulder wear but nothing nasty apparent there, but if it's a recent problem then they'd take a while to wear anyway.

I think I'll start with tracking (since it's a 30-quid thing) and if no great improvements then early service it is.
I was initially hoping it was just particular corners that were oily and damp at this time of year, but the steering feels too constantly spongy for that.

I have just bought my A3 T Sport, after having sold my mini cooper, this was an attempt to save money and wanted a car with more power, But i have also found my handling and steering to be exactly as you described, i thought that much of this was due to me being used to the mini, but obviously not. i have just bought a new set of S3 alloys and will be fitting those as soon as they arrive. I will then be getting the tracking sorted as i know it is out, so i will see how it goes when set up properly with the S3 wheels. the last MOT also says that the bushes are wearing and casuing a slight movement. So will get all that done and let you know if it improves it much

The S3 wheels should make a good improvement to your handling and steering feel, with a little less roll during cornering./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Got tracking done on Sat. I think it made an immediate difference, but still doesn't feel "just right", so I still aim to ask that suspension and steering get a full check at next service.
One thing tracking place did was to swap front right and left wheels - I asked why and he said sometimes you can get wear on a tyre which will make it want to pull one way (a bit like the nappe on a snooker table cloth I guess).

my steering is a little 'loose' at the moment. Im going to replace the tie rods and soon, all the bushes front and rear. Im hoping this will sort the problem out. Other than that the wheel bearings may be a bit worn but you would tend to hear them before they actually started moving.

RIch

Ok Rich, let us know how much difference the rods and bushes make - I'm sure that's what I need to do to tighten things up.

I;ve got some ECS poly bushes on order for myself, am going order the new tie rods and new shocks as mine have had it... not at all comfortable and a bit crashy now, but they are running on 50mm H&R springs and are over 6 years old now... About time they were replaced. im going for the powerflex steering rack mount bush too. if that all doesnt tighten it all up, then im stumped!

Rich