Sandips (strange) build thread

So improve flow = same initial spike (26psi, N75f) but more controllable (no creep)?

How much more do you think it can flow Bill or is that hard to say without actually looking at the turbo? would improving flow show in maf g/s?

Can i confim something, they are porting the WASTEGATE yes? not the entire housing? Porting the housing may make the turbo flow more air, but its not going to fix your problem.
Porting the wastegate WONT let the turbo flow any more air, but will allow it to control the path of the existing exhaust flow properly and so control boost.

You keep saying "borg warner" as though its something different to the original part. Its the same company. A Borg-Warner K04-020 IS EXACTLY the same as a KKK K04-020. Bills also suggested more than once that this isnt a standard turbo due to the figures you've shown, yet you dont seem to get that...

You keep saying "borg warner" as though its something different to the original part. Its the same company. A Borg-Warner K04-020 IS EXACTLY the same as a KKK K04-020. Bills also suggested more than once that this isnt a standard turbo due to the figures you've shown, yet you dont seem to get that...

I understand what you're saying aragorn but the turbo i have is a STANDARD K04-023 and i'm aware Bill has said on many occasions that it is not behaving like a standard K04, i understand this clearly

I have contacted some turbo suppliers and borg warner don't make hybrid K04's

This thread has pictures of the old and new http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/112831-psi-tuning.html, the new item doesn't have KKK on the compressor housing, could there be a slight difference in these turbos?

From what i'm aware the K04 JBS manifold i have wasn't made here in the UK, middle east i think, could be wrong

Apparantly there was 2 made, one was fitted on a jbs car the other one sold after a few months on a shelf at jbs then the guy who bought it sold it on, on pistonheads and AFAIK was made to my colleagues 3D model but in which country i couldnt say.

Apparantly there was 2 made, one was fitted on a jbs car the other one sold after a few months on a shelf at jbs then the guy who bought it sold it on, on pistonheads and AFAIK was made to my colleagues 3D model but in which country i couldnt say.

Interesting! I thought there were more than jsut 2 out there. Good info though, hopefully there will be more made for others to try

So improve flow = same initial spike (26psi, N75f) but more controllable (no creep)?

How much more do you think it can flow Bill or is that hard to say without actually looking at the turbo? would improving flow show in maf g/s?

not what I said

As some of you know i had a bit of an accident 3 weeks ago so the turbo issue was put on hold until i got that sorted. Long story but basically i was driving out of Sainsburys and a lady drove into the side of my car, parked the car up, 5 random guys came up to me and said it was my fault, even though they didn't actually see the lady drive into me. They were trying to pick a fight to be honest, 1 guy said my car was **** so it didn't matter, the other said the damge was already there!???

Anyway....i didn't want to go through the insurance purely because i didn't want the aggro for the rest of 2011, got intouch with a good friend in Rochdale (Panelcare). Picked up a door, dropped the car off lastweek and picked it up today.

The damage :(
P3260300.jpg

P3260299.jpg

P3260301.jpg

All done! :) Will be heading back in 3 weeks to get it buffed up
P4160312.jpg

P4160311.jpg

Top job mate, missed all this but glad you have it sorted now pal!

what the hell, did she pay for the repair then or did you fork out for it yourself?

what's it to do with the other guys?? did they no the lass???

Damn would hate to be in that situation, just looked back at the pics and she hit the rear quarter as well :(

Swapped the wheels over today so i thought i'd put take some snaps of my brakes
P4220314.jpg

P4220315.jpg

P4220316.jpg

Cleaned my arches before the wheels went on :)
P4220317.jpg

top work, your cars nearly as clean as mine :) lol, what size rotors you running mate?? id love to run a huge brake setup for the wow factor... but the brembos do seriously work

What did you use to clean up the arches, come up really well.

top work, your cars nearly as clean as mine :) lol, what size rotors you running mate?? id love to run a huge brake setup for the wow factor... but the brembos do seriously work

They are 350mm Kev, i clean my arches once a year, everytime i swap the wheels over basically :)

The brakes work well but i think they'd perform at their best on a track to be honest

Meguiars alloy wheel cleaner first, then wash it with a sponge and washing up liquid, rinse off and finally drown with wd40 :)

Cheers sandip. Im planning on cleaning mine soon and going to give that combo a go.

Didn't like the amp on show so i made a mini enclosure for it, not the best job but it'll do :)
P4300323.jpg

PSI Tuning have been in touch and the ported hotside is now ready and waiting to be swapped over. I tried to measure the aperture of the wastegate but i was struggling to get the gauge inside but it's roughly around 25mm.
P5140335.jpg

P5140337.jpg

P5140341.jpg

Also got a Forge UNOS today
P5140342.jpg

The car is going in on Friday morning for the hotside swap, hopefully the boost creep will be sorted:ermm:

Just catching up on this thread....how did you find the finish from Panelcare? I had some work done there last year and found their work pretty appalling to be honest and when I went back to them they were just full of excuses. I suppose nowhere's perfect 100% of the time but yours looks pretty good.

Just catching up on this thread....how did you find the finish from Panelcare? I had some work done there last year and found their work pretty appalling to be honest and when I went back to them they were just full of excuses. I suppose nowhere's perfect 100% of the time but yours looks pretty good.

The paint job ok really, it's dropped a little on the arches but i still need to go in and get it buffed up but overall not a bad job for me :)

Ok, so i've just installed the Forge Unos parallel with the N75, opened up the DV, greased it as it was a little dry.

Went for a drive, 20psi with no overboost??? Adjusted it 4 clicks + , went up to 21psi, again no overboost!! Kept the pedal on the throttle and i have no boost creep either!!

I'm confused:wtf: Can a sticking DV cause overboost/boost creep??

The MBC is stopping the overboost mate.... on parallel it caps the boost...

mbc_vs_n75_boost.gif

<tuffty/>

I have seen boost creep on actuator pressure on a K04 turbo'd engine before but can't explain why tbh... once back on N75 it worked fine...

Assuming you are testing for boost creep with the N75 disconnected and the MBC in parallel then I don't know why this is no longer happening... would need to see a log at least or ideally be running the car on the dyno...

You car is a bit of a mongrel mate... lol.... really think you need to get it booked in for a dyno as yo seem to have a real mismatch of bits there...

<tuffty/>

I have seen boost creep on actuator pressure on a K04 turbo'd engine before but can't explain why tbh... once back on N75 it worked fine...

Assuming you are testing for boost creep with the N75 disconnected and the MBC in parallel then I don't know why this is no longer happening... would need to see a log at least or ideally be running the car on the dyno...

You car is a bit of a mongrel mate... lol.... really think you need to get it booked in for a dyno as yo seem to have a real mismatch of bits there...

<tuffty/>

I was getting overboost with the N75 connected and with N75 disconnected i was getting boost creep

I will disconnect the N75 tomorrow and see if i get any creep, tempted to come down and let you guys dyno it. Only thing is if i did come down i'd want a map putting on to which would involve removing the encryption board off the ecu, unless there's a way around this??

I was getting overboost with the N75 connected and with N75 disconnected i was getting boost creep

I will disconnect the N75 tomorrow and see if i get any creep, tempted to come down and let you guys dyno it. Only thing is if i did come down i'd want a map putting on to which would involve removing the encryption board off the ecu, unless there's a way around this??

Not that I am aware of no... Bill is the expert in these things so would be able to advise... I would imagine it would require him to send the ECU off to someone he knows to remove the board as I am not sure he has the facilities to do it at the moment... personally only ever seen one other S3 like this before tbh... all others have been port flashed

<tuffty/>

I would send the ecu to have its encryption board removed, I dont do smt soldering here. Once it was reverted to std ecu, it can be flashed like normal.

creep, is rising boost with revs typically to (x) amount...
mbc is opening the gate at whatever pressure you set it to.
22psi being the max you will see on vagcom logs remember

I would send the ecu to have its encryption board removed, I dont do smt soldering here. Once it was reverted to std ecu, it can be flashed like normal.

creep, is rising boost with revs typically to (x) amount...
mbc is opening the gate at whatever pressure you set it to.
22psi being the max you will see on vagcom logs remember

Thanks Bill, when i first put the mbc on it was boosting at 20psi (boost gauge), turned it + around 4 clicks then it was 21psi. (Not sure how many clicks to adjust it ) Full throttle till 6k, peak boost is 21psi and tailing off to 19psi. (4th gear)

Is it possible that a sticking dv can cause overboost or boost creep or is that silly question lol

Ok so i went to get my map sorted out today by Wayne (Chipwizards in Rochdale)

Firstly the ecu was removed and the chip removed, the map that was on my car was a Superchips map and after comparing it to the stock 210 S3 map it seems that all Superchips had done was turn boost up and not touched fueling:blink:

So...stock map on, car came out at 210bhp with 13psi (Forge Unos), the car was running in the high 14's a/f, after a few alterations on fueling the car jumped up to 230bhp with a/f in the low 12's. Turned the boost up to 16psi and started to make a few more changes.....problem, the car started going lean at around 5.5k, Wayne thought it was the injectors maxing out at first but after testing them they were fine, next thing he check was fuel pressure, the pressure drops as it was hitting 5.5k so we stopped there. Time for a new fuel pump and 4bar fpr.

So far - 16psi, 240bhp but it feels so much better than my old map!!

P5270352.jpg

P5270347.jpg

Chipwizards are going to be my point of call when I get a remap. Not the cheapest but one of the best :)