New wheel size opinions

AndyM

Reaction score
I need to replace the alloys on my car, currently have rstt replicas but they've been badly damaged by some encounters with some rather large potholes and the tyres all worn and need replacing so ive decided to get a new set of wheels at same time.

Decided on either Sportec Mono 10's 18" anthracite or MTM bimoto's 19", I prefer the look of the MTM's but im worried that its size is going to neagtively effect the ride quality and handling too much hence the reason im looking at 18" sportecs, car is 2001 S3, std suspension as I can only just get over the frigging speed bumps on the way to work as it is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Just wondering if this is a justified worry or not?

Well if you're having that kind of discomfort on 17s, I dont think 19s will do you any favours particularly as you'll probably have to lower it to make it look good (and thus reduce the ride quality even more). I'd personally go for the Sportecs if you're set on those two. Why not go for something standard but different like anthracite RS4s/RS6s or polished RS4s.

Thanks for the opinions on the wheels guys, looks like ill have to try and find someone with 19's locally to check the ride and appearance if I decide to go that route. Just a shame the wheels I prefer only come in 19 or larger! although the sportecs arent exactly bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Also, I have no clearance issues with any speed bumps that I have encountered in my S3, so the ones you are going over must be HUGE! Is it the front thats catching on the approach?, or the catching after your front wheels go over these speed bumps??

[/ QUOTE ]

Its catching on the front I believe, its not the bumps that stretch across the road but rather those set of three 'islands', usually thats not a problem you just offset the car and you drive over the highest part of two bumps however the clever council here decided to make the middle bump an island for pedestrians on every other set of bumps so it forces you to drive with the bump under the middle of the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif They've already had to redo all the bumps within the first 6 months of putting them down as they were just too big, nice way to spend rates.