Dual Mass Flywheel, Symptoms

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So i'm rebuilding a BAM engine for a colleague, and was considering putting a new clutch into it when its apart, for obvious reasons.

I was hoping to retain the original dual mass unit, however upon removing the clutch, i've noticed that the dual mass unit seems to have a lot of movement. I know they are supposed to have some rotational movement, ie in the direction the engine turns it. But this flywheel seems to wobble perpendicular to the engines axis.

IE if you grab it either side (a bit like you'd hold a wheel rim to check for bearing play) you can rock it from side to side, which i cant see is normal?

Is this with the clutch plate and pressure plate on?. You have to remember that installed in the car it will also have the splined shaft and clutch thrust bearing putting pressure on it. I have noticed even on new flywheels there is a very small amount of side play but nothing I would consider to worry about when all bolt up. However, if the flywheel is the original and no doubt a fair few miles on it, it is almost definately worth changing as it will fail/wear out sooner than later. Be ashame to go to all that trouble of putting a new engine in and the clutch going 500 miles down the road!

If you're not sure, take your flywheel down to GSF and compare it to a new one to see if the wobble is acceptable to you at least that way you're have a comparison to make the call if you need to change.