Chris NottAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Black 1997 Audi A3 1.6

Status

My car - your thoughts on modifications?

Hi,

Just gathering your thoughts on what modifications I could do to my car. It's a 97 Audi a3 1.6.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Engine or exterior or interior?
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

5th Gear

Status
    Sell it and buy a 1.8Turbo... 1.6 are pants.
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

Neutral

Status
    haha love it turbo is a bit of a must
    Audi A3 1.8t, 18" RS4 alloys, MTM remap, 3" forge tip, Milltek cat back, pipercross velocity intake system, Milltek De-Cat, Forge 007' STRT Koni suspension, turborevs fmic kit

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reptor245 View Post
    he was lookin for advice on mods, not a put down. how do you know he can afford to buy or insure a 1.8t????

everybody has gotta start somewhere
    2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5 V6 TDI S Line 163BHP
    Now Remapped to 195BHP

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a4 cabrio View Post
    he was lookin for advice on mods, not a put down. how do you know he can afford to buy or insure a 1.8t????

everybody has gotta start somewhere
    Exactly, I started with a 1.6, I absolutely loved it! They are great car, Yours looks great, I really like your wheels, Maybe you could lower it a little! apart from that looks awesome!
    2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage 2, Approx 270BHP Miltek Exhaust With THS De-cat, Neuspeed P-Flow, Forge Split-R DV, 19" Rail Daytona's 9'' Rears, 8'' Front, Stretched Tyres, Euro Look, 20mm H&R Rear Wheel Spacers, 10mm Front Wheel Spacers, H&R Springs, Chrome Mirrors, Piano Black Dash, Black Recaro Heated Leather, Xenon Headlights, LOW and WIDE!

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    To the OP
    The 1.6 isn't a particularly tune-able engine, whilst you could spend money on trying to make it faster the gains are gonna be fairly small and you may well be better off spending/saving that money on other things. I reckon hit it with the lowering stick and get it sitting pretty, clear side repeaters, facelift rear lights and it should look mint!

If you then want a faster car it will probably be make more sense to get yourself a 1.8T in one guise or another.

More pics would be good the one you posted is a tad unclear.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a4 cabrio View Post
    Err he wants to spend money modding it so just buy the car in the first place. By the time youve spent money on mods and then TELLING your insurance company of the mods by law then you will end up paying Turbo money anyways. Use your brain m8
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

1st Gear

Status
    Err he wants to spend money modding it so just buy the car in the first place. By the time youve spent money on mods and then TELLING your insurance company of the mods by law then you will end up paying Turbo money anyways. Use your brain m8
    oh sorry oh wise one, did he say he wanted to mod the engine???? he may just want subtle mods to improve the look of his car for a year or 2 til he can afford something else.

looking at your mods, why didnt you just buy an s3 as by the time you insure your mods your in s3 insurance land.

dont try and tell me about mods as i have been there and done that

if you aint got nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all

engage your brain before you type
    2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5 V6 TDI S Line 163BHP
    Now Remapped to 195BHP

1st Gear

Status
    I think its a pretty tidy wee car, as said above clear side repeaters, lowered, facelift rear lights and maybe a sports exhaust. :D And ignore some of the posts above :/

Status
    Not the best advice is it,best be quiet in these type of threads if thats your best reply

Chrome mirrors,paint your calipers,facelift rear clusters,a leon lip spoiler/splitter for underneath your front bumper,interior could be upgraded to leathers if not already,S3 gearknob (8P one) thats a few off the top of my head but your car looks tidy at the moment.

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    The replies some people have been giving on this forum recently are embarrassing, the op has asked for advice and instead of help he gets 'buy another model'.
    I love coming on this forum and trying to help others out, but if I have nothing constructive to say I just keep schtum (just wish others would do the same)

Rant over....
    Last edited by s3 Hoggy; 20th March 2011 at 09:30.
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 Hoggy View Post
    The replies some people have been giving on this forum recently are embarrassing, the op has asked for advice and instead of help he gets 'buy another model'.
    I love coming on this forum and trying to help others out, but if I have nothing constructive to say I just keep schtum (just wish other would)

Rant over....
    Have to say I agree...some of the replies on here as of late have been shocking. It's not difficult to be nice, but perhaps some people struggle with it more than others.
    Current: Audi S3 (2002) in black...
    Previous: Renault Clio Williams 3 (1995)

ST8C3Y

Status
    Car looks stunning. As said by voorhees and others keep the wheels there great, paint your callipers, fit some lowering springs, the facelift rear lights would look good too, along with clear side repeaters to match. Inside black leather would be good too.
    Ming Blue 1.8t 1999..

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 Hoggy View Post
    I love coming on this forum and trying to help others out, but if I have nothing constructive to say I just keep schtum (just wish others would do the same)

Rant over....
    Agreed show some respect..
    For advise i would look through the pics at the top of this section for inspiration, loads of ideas there mate
    as said the 1.6 engine is not that tunable, nice exhaust air filter....?
    Last edited by s3dave; 20th March 2011 at 13:22.

6th Gear

Status
    Click the ignore feature in your profile for rude people.

It already looks tidy on those rims ,Perhaps some budget coils to lower then as said above .Nice lookin 8l though :-)

1st Gear

Status
    I'd keep it simple. No point doing anything to the engine other than regular servicing. Exterior you might want to look at lowering it depending on your budget. Also I'd get either clear or smoked side repeaters. After that just keep it clean and shiny!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    What a P Rick

I'd change the wheels for some more German looking if yo know what I mean, the sale of your current ones might cover it. Exhaust to liven throttle response, get ut mounted snug in the bumper like pprawn has done with his, it looks the dogs! De wiper the rear and facelift rear lights to freshen the back end up and bring it more up to date. Splitter or some sort of lip spoiler for the front for same reasons, try something different to the cupra splitter, you can make anything fit and everyone loves somethin unique!
    Last edited by superkarl; 20th March 2011 at 14:21.

5th Gear

Status
    Sell it and buy a Lamborghini Aventador...8Ls are pants
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Sell it and buy a Lamborghini Aventador...8Ls are pants
    sunday pricks coming out.....

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Haha that was pretty funny

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    sunday pricks coming out.....
    lol I was taking the mick out of an earlier comment, duh!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    lol I was taking the mick out of an earlier comment, duh!
    sorry...hangover...lol

3rd Gear

Status
    everyones got to start somewhere! why dont you make it look good, lowered etc, then maybe later on when funds allow get a 1.8t and swap over the exterior mods!

1st Gear

Status
    get it lowered would be my first suggestion for improving the look of the car...also possibly get some hubcentric spacers to improve the stance??

i echo most of the other comments in regards engine performance mods, you wont get massive gains from modding the 1.6 engine...its just not worth spending the money in my opinion, maybe get a nice quality cat back and an airfilter to give the car a little more grunt?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    sorry...hangover...lol
    Doh !!
    revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    Depending on your budget I'd lower the car and change the rear lights for face lift ones...
    revo'd

Neutral

Status
    I'm a 1.6 and am very hurt by some of these comments

Seriously, I'd go for looks and comfort rather than performance too. I've got bluetooth kit in mine, new seats, parking sensors and any other little luxuries I can add. Your car looks really nice - what's the interior?

Lights, lowering and refurbished wheels are next on my list.

Last edited by TheButtonz; 20th March 2011 at 20:56.
    A3 1.6i 8L, 1998, 18"

Black 1997 Audi A3 1.6

Status
    Thanks for the replies, will post some better pictures of the car later on. The interior of the car is grey with grey fabric seats.

1st Gear

Status
    as said above....

lower it... maybe some budget coilies get it sitting nice. facelift rear lights. dechrome grill. maybe a little tint on the rear 3 windows. get the mop out and give it a damn good detail , maybe a s3 spoiler? colour code the bumpers and sills. the you could start modding the interior? leathers or half leathers? maybe a nice tt alcantara steering wheel. hid kit? pure white side lights? clear side repeaters?

possiblities are endless. ive got the biggest list ever, i buy one thing and end up wanting 3 more things haha.
    A3 1.8t facelift 150p, milltek catback, forge 007p, gloss black roof, black s3 spoiler

next on the list is some wietec coilies and eibach arbs front &rear

Smell my finger.

Status
    Pretty much whats been said.

Get it lowered and give it a good polish

Face lift rear lights... and fronts too

S3 boot spoiler

Pain the grill surround black

Debadge it so no one see's its a poverty shame inspiring 1.6 (this is a joke by the way!).

Then laugh when all us 1.8T owners are being raped in the wallet department having to fill up every 300 miles!

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Smell my finger.

Status
    Some of the easy stuff too...

Aero wipers
    Polo rear wiper
    LED numberplate lights
    LED side lights

Its all about the little things
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

4th Gear

Status
    Maybe look at getting a back box fitted to your exhaust and get a kone filter on it that should make it sound good! and make the car a little bit more responsive!

shanejess
    i have said on more than one occasion the best looking 8L in my opinion is a 1.8 or 1.6 in black or grey with pepper pot wheels and the chequered interior seats awesome, your car looks very good pal, mods wise i would get a good quality panel filter, lower it, eibach is cheap ish and very good, and polish it to the inch of its life, your car looks very good to me.

Smell my finger.

Status
    I like pepper pot wheels...slammed on a set of polished pepper pots is a win. Plus they're cheap!

Howdy

Status
    If it were mine...

Engine:
    Uprated panel filter
    Backbox
    Regular servicing!

Interior:
    Find some mk4 Golf/A3/S3 black leather seats
    Have cruise control fitted
    Nice stereo or RNS-E or something
    Ambient lighting mod

Exterior:
    S3 tailgate spoiler
    Polished TT Comp wheels
    Eibach springs
    Keep it clean!
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

1st Gear

Status
    Black A3's are always nice.. the biggest thing to do to it is hardly a mod but keep it clean. Dirty black cars look rubbish, keep it waxed.

Change the rear lights to facelifts as the pre facelifts dont do the back of the car justice. (I am selling a pair cheap if u do decide to do this). If you want a front mod then do the front headlights too, there is a really good guide in this forum which involves a little bit of work but the rewards are gooood. Metal plates and surrounds and poss some LED rear reg plates lights.
    Keep it simple and in my opinion it stands out more.

Welcome to the forum tho, I no longer have my a3 but pop in from time to time as the advice generally is really good.
    FOR SALE:
    A3 Rear Light bulb holders (1 Pair) 10 quid
    A3 front mudflaps £10
    Fallout 3 XBOX360 £5

Black 1997 Audi A3 1.6

Status
    Thanks for the replies, am thinking of giving the car a stealth look.

I'm interested in your Haynes Manual Mike.
    Last edited by silverswish; 25th April 2011 at 15:31.

BBP

Status
    I've a Low & Slow 1.6...

Most of my mods in the Sig.

17" BBS RS Reps, JOM Coilovers, TT ARB, Facelift Front & Rear Lights, Aero wipers, LEDs all round, 6000K HIDs, Blacked out Grill & Rings, De-wipered,
    12" 1000w FliTrap Sub, Colour Coded Lowers & Skirts...

Black 1997 Audi A3 1.6

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavin1986 View Post
    I've a Low & Slow 1.6...

Most of my mods in the Sig.
    Any chance of posting some pictures of your HIDs, are they installed in pre-facelift lights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast