Replace pick up pipe naturally, also clean oil feed / return pipe?

mikem1

Golf with BAM Engine
Reaction score
We all know the saftey first value of replacing the oil pick up pipe for the oil pump on our 1.8T engines. Looking at others who've had issues with their cars it seems the oil feed and return pipes for the turbo can also be prone to blockages, has anyone had theirs off when replacing the pick up pipe and cleaned those out too? Thinking it might not be a bad idea to ensure oil feed and return to the engine / turbo is 100%.

Mike

You have to take into consideration how many 1.8T where produced by Audi and, how many have had issues relating to "Oil Feed Blockages". It would be interesting to know the parcentages. Also, needed to be taken into consideration would be Oil Type and Oil Service Interval. Any Mathematicians In The House?

Not a bad idea, i would first check the condition of the sump/pick up and take it from there. I would recommend changing the oil pump whilst you have the sump off, saves doing it at a later date :)

I would just run flush personally. I think dropping the sump etc is a bit pedantic. I dropped mine a while back and found the pickup was mint, and sump wasn't too bad either. And it had been on longlife servicing most of it's life. Changing your supposedly blocked pickup isn't going clear any oilways deeper inside your engine.

Reactions: Mart77
Run some forte engine flush through it and that should do a good job of unblocking the galleries. Drop the oil and filter and the sump if you want to change the pick up pipe.

Id leave the pump alone, no need to change it unless you want peace of mind or you heads bit noisey. Throwing money away im my eyes as they dont fail that much, only 2 gears to them. Oh and change your oil to 5w40 fully syn if you havent already.

I thought using engine flush products wasn't strongly advised or are there certain brands / products that are deemed acceptable? As my car is also used on track I am looking to build in as much reliability as possible in terms of engine / turbo preservation and heat management. Oil catch can and 16 row cooler to follow soon.