JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance

Thread: Power Question

1st Gear

Status

Power Question

I know this has probably been asked a load of times but just wanted to start a new thread to see what are the best ways to get to the 280-300 BHP mark.

Car at the minute stands pretty much standard apart from polybushes, r32 roll bar silicone TIP.

Can i get this sort of figure from the K04? what have other people done?

cheers
    2001 S3 AMK. Viper Remap, Forge 007P, Carbon fibre engine cover, SFS TIP, Tints, Forge Breather Hoses, Auti R8 oil Cap, Leon CPR Top mounts, S3 car mats, German number plates. 249 By Pass mod

2. # ADS
    ADS

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Nobody has managed to get 300bhp out of the standard K04 yet but it is extremely close with some of the new mods that have been coming out. You can get to this figure by using a K04 hybrid turbo.

To get in the 280-300bhp bracket you will need to go stage 2 map if you want to stick with the k04 turbo. This will require a FMIC, 3" down pipe, and ideally a stronger set of rods.

If you go for a bigger turbo you can start pushing the 350-400bhp limits but we're talking so it all depends on what you want and how deep your pockets are.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    cheers westle, good advice, quite new to the turbo scene as i have only been into N/A with trumpets

next stage is downpipe and exhaust then? heard the milltek ones are a shoddy fit?
    2001 S3 AMK. Viper Remap, Forge 007P, Carbon fibre engine cover, SFS TIP, Tints, Forge Breather Hoses, Auti R8 oil Cap, Leon CPR Top mounts, S3 car mats, German number plates. 249 By Pass mod

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IOM-S3 View Post
    cheers westle, good advice, quite new to the turbo scene as i have only been into N/A with trumpets

next stage is downpipe and exhaust then? heard the milltek ones are a shoddy fit?
    A lot of the boys here are running Pipeworx 3" DPs with sport cats then you can put whatever cat back system on you want. I'm sure a few do have milltek and I dont remember too much moaning about fitment!?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    You may be thinking of the XS Power Downpipe that people moan about, however Welly has been working directly with XS to overcome the fitment issues and we're expecting some final results very soon.

As Westle said, the Pipewerx one is supposed to be excellent, if a little on the expensive side.
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

6th Gear

Status
    i think some K04s with Badger Bills 3" TIP and other supporting mods have pushed and knocked on the door of 300 bhp havent they?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    i think some K04s with Badger Bills 3" TIP and other supporting mods have pushed and knocked on the door of 300 bhp havent they?
    Oh yeah they've come close but I'm 99% sure that the magic number hasn't yet been achieved.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    cheers for the replies next on the lost is some blilly B8s i think then going to get a system, is pipewerx purely custome made or do they sell systems? i dont live in the UK you see

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I think sandips will be the first touching 300 when he gets bills 3" tip, as is turbo spools for fun and he has the JBS manifold....

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    No problems with milltek here, quality exhaust...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I think sandips will be the first touching 300 when he gets bills 3" tip, as is turbo spools for fun and he has the JBS manifold....
    Yeah, how the jammy sod wangled one of those manis I'll never know
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    I'm on 278 brake with what is essentially a stage 1 level of tune with a badger 5 TIP, Jetex & custom map, I reckon we've got to be able to find 22 more brake from an FMIC, 3 inch downpipe etc. and another custom map! Sandips has a very good chance IMO, Kevs (based on maf readings) is at c. 294 so theres every chance. It will be interesting to see how close mine gets with stage 2 mods and a standard K04 before hybriding.

I do have rods, new suspension and brembos too but then again Welly's fine on standard items for the latter 2.

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    Yeah, how the jammy sod wangled one of those manis I'll never know
    +1 he nearly sold it aswell...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Miltek kit is not much different to the OEM stuff other than the cat... best to get a 3" DP...

A genuine 300bhp isn't really achievable on a std K04... to get 300bhp or more then its hybrid time... As said, all teh 'stage 2' stuff should be on your list as well as a 3" TIP as this releases whatever is left out of a std K04 with Dane's S3 being the highest output to date at 278bhp...

You might get close to a 'reported' 300bhp depending on what dyno you go too but I personally have never seen it and the compressor of a K04 is simply too small to produce the volume of air required to produce 300bhp...

Its advisable to get your car dyno'd before you start at a place you can get too easily then as you mod you can go back and see relative increases....

Welly's hybrid thread plus some extra info in the stickies will help you out...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Will definetely be what i am tackling next, just trying to get the car in a better state at the minute as think the bushes suspension etc are due an overhaul, no record of them ever being done and they are looking tired.