Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Too low for the sump!

I hit a raised manhole in a council roadworks section in Trafford Park today in my S3. The car is bog standard height but that's a little low to start with - it might serve as a warning to what can happen.

The council have been resurfacing the road and have removed the top surface of tarmac. There was a sign saying "RAMP" but there was no sign saying "raised manholes" - consequently I was expecting the up ramp at the crossroads but not the raised manhole 20 feet before it, which I went over dead centre only seeing it at the last moment because of a car in front, with a left turning car on my left and bollards on my right I could go nowhere - BANG!

I then bumped up over the ramp at the crossroad as expected with no problem but as I got to the other side the following cloud of oil smoke, which didn't go away as a splashed puddle might have, told a different story!

Engine smartly turned off I coasted to a halt and getting out I could see the oil slick so pushed it round the corner and waited for recovery.

To cut a long story short, it's at Awesome GTI: about 50 for an aftermarket sump (the original had a hole I could get two fingers in!), but with oil, filter, gaskets, sealant and checks comes to 227, then there's the dog mount ripped out of the gearbox casting - that's an estimated 200 for alloy welding (luckily the casing is not holed), then there's the cross brace captive nut ripped out of the subframe. They have a second hand sub frame but with fitting and geo that will add another 400 ... Perhaps I can fix that later in a different way but even so ....

My insurance legal cover say that with no signs saying "raised manholes" and with one clearly high enough to strike a car without being adequately cautioned, ramped or coned off and given that the council were in control of the area so can't claim they didn't know about it - and given that I've taken plenty of pictures and videos of other cars clouting the manhole, then I have a good case.

I think it's one of life's unfair moments; given that I generally advise people against lowering due to the chance of hitting a speed bump or pot hole. I suppose some may laugh and even I can see the irony - but then again perhaps it may serve as a warning for what may happen!

The sump is now replaced and the engine runs seemingly as before so hopefully the bearings and turbo are OK. I did turn the engine off perhaps 5 or 10 seconds after the bang when it dawned on me what was going on and I had knocked it into neutral, but the oil pressure warning light does not come on immediately on the 1.8T - the switch operates at 1.4 bar and at idle with hot oil you may only get 1 bar so whether the light comes on or not depends on what the software decides is happening! Give me a live swithch any day! Just waiting on the alloy welding now.

A rogues gallery:

Entering roadwork zone...

Here's a car turning right (when rush hour had died down a bit)

Allowing him to swerve to the left - but what for?

The sump planer! This car clunked it...

Even the 4x4s were slowing down for it - ok if you could see it in time.

I'm not the first to hit it.

If you look carefully at this one you can see the leading corner of the cast iron manhole and the lack of adequate ramp before hand.

And the resultant oil slick:

And this is what it did:

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Fook me, that is just bad bad luck, think i may invest in a reinforced sump now though :/.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

4th Gear

Status
    unlucky, make sure the council pay for it, defo wont be going down there for abit. they have been doing the same around my area and i wont even go near it as i know when i see that ramp sign that the floor is dropped down and all the man covers are raised like you said.

4th Gear

Status
    God I feel your pain, you could have done the job yourself! I would sue the council and and take some sort of a proof from Awsome GTI, hopefully they can pay you back or something. hopeyfuly the damage has not affected the engine itself.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

6th Gear

Status
    No sign for "raised ironworks" that's non compliant with Chapter 8. Send the bill for repairs to your local authority, they'll wriggle and claim they aren't liable but keep being a pain and they should pay up. Had similar happen to the lower crossmember on my old XR2i

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

4th Gear

Status
    Also try using the Iphone App 'Fill That Hole' they have a website thier special websites which supports people like yourself
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

6th Gear

Status
    post this at the pistonheads legal section, you will get advice

Speed, Plod & the Law