MUSH Developments` S3

Yep mate its not that hard, I used a tiny flat blade scredriver, and gently prised the lip up a tiny bit (and i mean tiny) all along the bottom edge. Then i pulled the bezel off, it does takes a bit of force like this. It could be easier by prising more of the bezel open but i didnt want to so it would go back down again so you cant tell.

The needle is a bit of a pain to get off, again takes a bit of force and you think your going to damage it but it does pop off. Got to put it back together yet mind.... and find a pod

Aye seen them Si, not too sure about the mad "eyebrow" them pods have. Im quite tempted by the 42 draft design pod for the mk4 golf. Ive heard they fit with a little fettlement but want to find out for sure before stumping up £55 for one!! Ive bought an ebay jobby to fit as Tufty has but to be honest i cant be bothered with the hassle, im a spanners and wires type of guy, not into interior stuff. Lol

lol same here mate. yeh i do like the 42 draft pods. i would of thought it would be very simular to the leon one with just trimming the door side a bit. i was originaly going to get a golf mk4 pod but i found a leon pod cheaper so got that. bit of a gamble i must admit lol

Just a little update to keep this going. The car runs mint after the first little niggle, and ive had it round the industrial estate thats next to my garage and it goes very well. Ive put it back away as i havnt got time to MOT it yet. But the beauty of this additional time is that i can tie up some little odds n sods. Ive ordered the pod for the boost gauge so that will go on soon. Ive went for a mk4 golf draft 42 pod in grey, ive got the grey interior so it should go well. Ive also aquired some headlining material incase it doesnt go to well so i can get it covered.

Im going to raise the rear a bit as i think its a bit low...

db56a49b.jpg

The biggest change though is in the intercooler, ive taken it off...

4a20ddcb.jpg

And chopped the ends off...

87a802b7.jpg

And im going to redo them. Probably the way i should have done in the furst place lol.

Ive also lopped the bottom mounting points off so i can mount it slightly lower...

79186730.jpg

Next thing to do will be to drop it off at Bens so he can knock up a slightly different end tank. I had thought about getting an AH fabs v2 but even with modding this current one a few times means its still cheaper than what AH want so i might aswell give it a go...

Coming along nice nick.

Keep us updated on the intercooler, i aint messing about with AH after the trouble bill has had.

Cheers Dan, the plan is to box off the bottom of the end tanks as they were cast and moulded, and then replicate the design tufty developed. Its a proven design as far as i can see and as ive got a good core it should all work well i think.

Nice nice!

I'm going to re read this thread I think ;)

Nice nice!

I'm going to re read this thread I think ;)

Cheers dude, and please do!

Really wish this was on the road now but other things are coming first at the minute.

Still plodding on though, Bens got the intercooler to redo the end tanks and then ill get that on.

Ive bought a 42 draft mk4 golf pod in grey, and it fits perfectly...

2281d1c4.jpg

Although the grey is lighter, so im going to wrap it as ive got a hold of some spare headlining in the same hue!

I like how it fits though so all good.

(cant stand working on brakes and ive had many brake problems in the past)

you can say that again mate haha, looking good, nearly there eh, you doing santa pod and and e38 with us?

Last edited:
(cant stand working on brakes and ive had many brake problems in the past)

you can say that again mate haha, looking good, nearly there eh, you doing santa pod and and e38 with us?

You know!!! lol

Yep mate ill be there, kept that weekend totally free! dont know what im going in yet though, Doubt itll be this like, I/C`s still off and havnt even thought about MOT yet. Be the work hack if all else fails.... :)

Had the intercooler down at Bens this past week to finish it off. We chopped the end tanks off (as above) and then he welded on nice little tray style ends so the big gash inlets were gone...

b10d8525.jpg

So that i could mount the cooler, and then offer up the pipes. I did this quite easily and then marked the cooler end tanks where the holes needed to go and how the pipes needed to be attached.

This is it on the the bench after that was done, and how it will look...

6c3a71e6.jpg

So, back off to Bens for the magic to happen...

0982dac2.jpg

And now the intercooler is complete!!

1e2d79ad.jpg

However i needed to offer it up to ensure what ive done was correct, so i mocked up yet again...

494a275b.jpg

Which went well. Had to the get the bumper on and check for clearance. Was fine on the passenger side...

c6a8762a.jpg

And fine on the drivers side...

5c5d55f2.jpg

Actual intercooler height is slightly lower than these pictures as i dropped it by a few millimetres so it went on perfect. The bumper was on properly with all the holes lining up so all good!! Fitted the grilles to ensure that fitment...

9754d5b1.jpg

And thats it!!! Woop woop. Cant believe how easy it was really after finding that "sweet spot" as Bill quite rightly calls it on the bumper. Thumbs up for Tufty for the research on this fitment style, top bloke!

So i now have an ebay intercooler, with modded endtanks perfect for the S3.

Whilst it was there i offered up the oil cooler to see if itll fit on top of the intercooler. And it looks like it will no probs. Ill get me mate Mal on the case to make me some lines and then ill get that fitted.

c8d1a892.jpg

Anyhoo, the intercooler had to come off again though...

1d693f6d.jpg

for a good cleanout to ensure theres no crap left in the pipes. Then it was covered in a hue of Mush Developments stealth paint...

37a7e907.jpg

Or matt black... lol

Did a few other little jobs like extending the heatshielding on the RHS of the bay...

9641453d.jpg

And changed the pollen filter so that i can fit the covers again, old one was a bit manky...

58e14165.jpg

And were up to date again. Next task is to get the oil cooler lines made up, and finish the bracket ive been making for the horns. Then it will be bumper on, and off for an MOT. :)

Cheers mate, yep there 63mm alloy bends i bought off ebay from auto silicone hoses, same place i got all my silicone from.

Awesome project, what sort of power/torque you expecting? You using standard ecu or an aftermarket?

And now the intercooler is complete!!

1e2d79ad.jpg

Nice work mate... knew it could be done, kudos for having a go and great result :thumbsup:

And thats it!!! Woop woop. Cant believe how easy it was really after finding that "sweet spot" as Bill quite rightly calls it on the bumper. Thumbs up for Tufty for the research on this fitment style, top bloke!

...welcome :)

<tuffty/>

Cheers lads, really chuffed with it.

Awesome project, what sort of power/torque you expecting? You using standard ecu or an aftermarket?

Thanks bud, purely judging from my spec and similar builds i dont think its too naiive to expect a nice slice of anything over 400bhp with similar if not slightly lower torque levels. Not that im chasing the numbers but it would be nice.

Ive upgraded the standard APY ecu to an ME 7.5 wideband ecu so ive got wideband control of fuelling and EGT protection. Still standard VAG gear though.

Last edited:
Intercooler`s now ready to fit, although im waiting for a silicone bend as although the inlets/outlets line up quite well with where i had them for the old entanks, ive chopped the silicone bend a little too much so ive had to order another.

0a2e2497.jpg

Soon as the bend lands ill fit this beasty for good!!

After fitting the pollen filter i could gett he scuttle and wipers fitted. Just a little job but its all coming together...

6c75aad7.jpg

Spent an hour today knocking up a bracket for the horns and outside temp sender. Ive heard you can can reuse the existing bracket but ive been itching to get the mig out for a little blast as its been a while. Plus, re using the old bracket seemed like a compromise for what is really an easy task.

Cut some strips of metal from some sheets ive got in the garage. Bent them and then welded them together to make this...

9e4c417d.jpg

And then cut what is to be a strengthening strip to go across the face of the bracket...

5012c525.jpg

Mocked up with the horns and temp sender in there locations... Just realised its KLAXON who make the horns, they make all the electronic sounders for the alarms and instruments we use at work. Top quality gear used by VAG on this occasion lol

043778d6.jpg

I then drilled, filed and smoothed off the edges, before painting...

35503ed2.jpg

Didnt have any matt black left, lol so they got matt grey... :)

And then i fitted it. The bracket gets bolted up on the two redundant stud from where the side mount intercooler was on the passenger side...

574d9d99.jpg

The horns then get bolted on through the two plates, and then the outside temp sender gets fitted in the 12mm hole ive drilled in the lower bracket. I even fitted a cable tidy so that it kept the wiring tidy...

6210f1b2.jpg

Just a little job ticked off the list...

B)

Looking good.

Think you need to mock me a intercooler up now though :).

Haha, i could if you wanted mate, be easy now i reckon.

Did you say your mate got you the intercooler or was it the rad?

My pal got me the rad, although theyre readily available i think. I can ask him if youre interested in one of those.

The intercooler i sourced though mate. Got the details somewhere for that. Think thats readily available too

Yeah i wouldnt mind a alloy rad, do you mind asking him how much itd be for a modded one to fit my s3?

Is it one of the ebay toyosport ones? I buying one and getting s3dave to mod it like you have, just need to but it first lol.

My intercooler isnt a toyosports one, but it is very similar. Mines from Demon motorsport on ebay. Ill have to dig the sizes out if you want them mate.

Ill ask me pal if hes got any rads left or if hes getin them this week.

Yeah i think its same size, around 600,300,76 i think it is, well core anyway.

Yeah please mate.

Mines the slightly shorter one bud, the core is 510 x 300 x 76. I think its pretty damn perfect for the space. But you could probably get the 600mm core in there.

Lame update alert....

Done a few little things on the car over the past few weeks. Fitted the oil cooler which was quite easy to be fair. I did this the cheap way, you could easily spend ££ on an oil cooler kit but the pipes were never going to be a problem, plus i wanted it custom to my car. I bought the thermo sandwich plate cheap off ebay ages ago so had that already. The cooler itself was another cheap ebay find, brand new and boxed.

I did originally want the cooler fitted here...

c8d1a892.jpg

But the pipes i used to mock up the install were too stiff, as they were proper hydraulic lines so would prove to be a mare to get in without issues.

So i instead mounted it in the nearside void behind the bumper where the oem sidemount resided.

All i did was cut some strips of steel to hang the cooler. I used 3 mounting positions, and its nice and sturdy.

312a981e.jpg

I then got some pipe and fittings off me pal Mal so i could offer up and cut ready for him to crimp them down to make these...

3494e291.jpg

And then it was just a case of fitting it all up...

83b9345c.jpg

As the cars not track orientated im not worried about cutting up the wheel well plastic to aid airflow, however ill be monitoring the oil temps to see if its required and if so ill cut and mesh over as Prawn has.

Heres a quick pic from underneath to show pipe install...

bd6d3b6e.jpg

Theres plenty of room down there and the pipes are nicely supported but not strained so they should be good.

Remember the mk4 pod i fitted...?

2281d1c4.jpg

Well i acquired a good headlining in the correct material to cover this. I even gave it a go and it did look good, but close to the end i used a tad too much spray adhesive and it seaped through, ruining my efforts :( So ive gave the pod, and the remaining material left to another pal to cover properly (hes an upholsterer by trade.)

Also fitted another ECU now aswell. The current AUQ ecu meant i had to get the EGT function programmed in whilst mapping, however i found a BAM ecu decoded and remapped to stage 1 by Storm Developments so ive fitted that and had it running to check all functions. This means the EGT works straight away and registers on the liquid gauge.

SO... the car is currently built up and finished, with the bumper back on awaiting an MOT. The only things left to do are to clean it (14 months in a garage means its dusty inside and out lol) and fit the pod when thats done this week. MOT will most probably happen next month as thats when ill be finished building my extension (ill try and build anything.... :))

Insurance renewal is next month also (i know, December of all months...), im currently with HIC but ill be ringing around so any suggestions welcome...

Nice work mush. As for the insurance, try sky insurance on this forum. They quoted me the best price out of the only few that would go near my car so worth giving them a try.

Will do Andy cheers for that matey. ;)

Hows your motor going...?

Nice work mush, looking good. Did you have problems with the oil temperature before you put the cooler on?

Nah no problems Lee, havnt even had the car ran up apart from around the local industrial estate. The oil cooler is purely preventative. The S3 isnt too good at shedding heat so every radiator helps, factor in big turbos/high revs fast use and the oil can get ****** so i chose to go this route. The veyron for example has 10 radiators. My 4 cant be all that bad... lol

Nice work mate... oil cooler is on my list too... have heard stories about very high oil temps on 20v's whilst on tracks... worthwhile investment if you plan to make use of the power IMO...

<tuffty/>

Will do Andy cheers for that matey. ;)

Hows your motor going...?

No worries mate. I've been away for the past few months so the car has just been garaged. I'm going to get back on it in the next few weeks, just a few things to iron out but I will post any progress/update on my old thread.