MUSH Developments` S3

First of all I'd like to say well done on the Build/Thread mate, the best I've followed in a long time.

I'm loving the finish & detail your putting into the engine bay, job well done. Now you may already be aware of these or it may not be any use now that you've made your new coil pack heat sheild but, have you seen the coil pack loom covers from the 2.0T A4's (as pictured bellow) There also available in red from none turbo FSI A4's but I thot I'd fire up a pic of the black one as this seems to be your favored colour for the bay. Not that the stock foil/fiber effort dosn't do its job just thot this would suit your needs better.

once again cracking job your doing there mate, keep it up. Ewan.

epcp_0907_08_z2006_audi_a4_2_0tengine.jpg

Your coil pack heat shield interests me, these pencil coil packs tend to have a short life break when they get hot, and that heat shield looks to me as though it would hold rising heat around the rocker cover and make the problem worse?

I might be completely wrong? Thats just how I see it.

First of all I'd like to say well done on the Build/Thread mate, the best I've followed in a long time.

I'm loving the finish & detail your putting into the engine bay, job well done. Now you may already be aware of these or it may not be any use now that you've made your new coil pack heat sheild but, have you seen the coil pack loom covers from the 2.0T A4's (as pictured bellow) There also available in red from none turbo FSI A4's but I thot I'd fire up a pic of the black one as this seems to be your favored colour for the bay. Not that the stock foil/fiber effort dosn't do its job just thot this would suit your needs better.

once again cracking job your doing there mate, keep it up. Ewan.

epcp_0907_08_z2006_audi_a4_2_0tengine.jpg

cheers, that does look neat, but you wouldnt be able to see it anyway with the heatshield fitted and thats more about the coils than the wiring, thats wrapped up very well! :)

Your coil pack heat shield interests me, these pencil coil packs tend to have a short life break when they get hot, and that heat shield looks to me as though it would hold rising heat around the rocker cover and make the problem worse?

I might be completely wrong? Thats just how I see it.

Its a subject that interests me quite a bit also. The only reason ive went for this idea is so that i can run the boost pipe adjacent to them. That gets very hot so it would be worth considering heat shielding then. Ive seen these shields loads of times with no adverse affects. Ive also never heard of bolt down coils failing like push down do with heat. As always, if i get problems, i will consider changing my strategy. But cheers for raising the point, its all appreciated ;)

Hi there,

Works been manic, and my minor house spruce up has developed into a big fat refurb/rewire the lot. so i literally havnt looked at the car in the past week :(

worst bit is ive basically accepted this wont be going to inters, but ill still be there so still hope to meet some of you.

Another week and ill be cracking on again so sorry for the delay but i am on it...

:)

Very impressive build just read through the full thread :)

Cheers bud glad you likey.

Managed to get a bit done over the last few days. Had the plasterers in the house so best not to disturb and get away to the garage instead...

Got a new carrier off me pal Neil, hes helping me quite a bit with this project. Hes busy putting together his TD05`d S3 himself so theres parts all over the place!

knackered and good one on the bench...

9d7baa7b.jpg

Took them to me pal Wes with a new bearing kit and i got back one built up and good carrier!

606651c2.jpg

I thought about replacing ball joints etc but funds wont allow and the one pictured was nice and toight anyway so no real need.

As i had to take the front suspension to bits to remove the bearing carrier i thought it would be best to get the suspension out the way, as it would be a pain to come back and basically do the same job again in a month time. So started on the rear first, ive got some neuspeed ARBs lined up but couldnt get them in time so that can be done at a later date.

Crap pics i know but...standard rear...

06509b6e.jpg

And not so standard rear...

2e117f5b.jpg

hehe... Really need to get this moving and clean off the disks...

Fitted the FK coilies, and S3dave tie bars. Now a little on this, i like many searched for ages for these. forge want silly money, and the ebay/awesome ones look a little "thin" for me. So i got a set off Dave, great item and great price also. Nope i aint licking his bum but the quality is great and next to a standard arm...

5a455cf9.jpg

And as a set...

58b45f8a.jpg

Really easy to fit, all i noticed was that after a few bolts came out they needed the ends re profiling due to the slight corrosion...

00fff3ab.jpg

Coilies were easy to fit also. Read a lot about where the adjuster should go also, and decided to fit it on top. Many have done this with the FKs as the adjuster plate simply wont fit over the bottom spring seat. Works well though.

Just aswell i jumped on this task as the passenger spring was snapped clean in two!! So decided instead of trying to compress it just to cut it off...

31074270.jpg

Moved onto the front and i dont know why but i just didnt take any pics. Was too caught in the moment i suppose. Got it all fitted up with new top mounts and shorter ARB droplinks. Built up the brakes and bled the brakes and clutch thoroughly with my pressure bleeder. Mint bit of kit! So now its all fresh fluid, the brake pedal is solid with minimal travel and the clutch pedal doesnt feel to bad, but it has got a definate BITE to it.

Quick pic, not very good, and just shows even though the disks are mint and straight with no lip they look a little orange...

5b9096f2.jpg

So, then moved onto mocking up boost pipes. Again sorry for the crap pics, the light wasnt great by this time, but im basically there with how it will be.

b625dbfa.jpg

3c87bc8a.jpg

Mocked them up with gaffer tape and a few joiners and bends. Ive just ordered the correct bends required so after a little bit of welding they should be ready. Ill get better pics next time.

The boost pipe with its bend over the rocker does sit a little high but witht he bonnet closed theres still a good 20mm breathing space so i think that should be ok.

Haha nope Si, not changing it, even the manifold/boost pipes will be goin black, no tangoed action here!!

;)

Had a good day today, went down to see me pal Ben to pick up the little catch tank hes made me, and i ended up getting all the boost pipes welded up aswell!

Set off with the pipes all marked up and shoved in the boot of the work hack...

734f18d9.jpg

Heres the catch tank, ive always liked the MOCAL oil breather tanks, but like most i didnt like the price. So as theyre kind enough to post pics with measurements on their site, i thought id copy it. Sent Ben the sizes needed and he knocked up this...

e10fea53.jpg

The only big differences between this and the mocals 1litre tank is mine has 19mm OD inlets to match my 20vt breather pipework, mine also doesnt have the gash cap on the top (not needed as the second outlet will be the breather), and mine also has a plate inside which seperates the inlets, so the air doesnt just travel straight in and out. It has to get around the plate which allolws the crap to drop out of the gasses. That plus he fitted a tap on the bottom...

419a783f.jpg

Which ill be fitting a permanently fitted bit of hose to exit at the bottom of the subframe so it should be a simple case of turn the tap on when servicing and collect the remains underneath.

Any ways, back to the pipes. Had a great day and got really involved. Ben did the welding (doubt my tig`ing would be much to write about...!! lol) and i did the cutting and swage the beads onto the ends of the pipes. I came back with a pile like this...

89c5e8f3.jpg

This is the pipe which goes from the turbo to the join on the lhs of the bay...

f5211ec5.jpg

This funky pipe goes from the join in the bay, behind the drivers headlamp and connects to the intercooler via a 90degree silicone pipe...

f1793b03.jpg

This pipe goes from the intercooler cold side up to the throttle body via two 90 degree silicone pipes. It also incorporates the map sensor boss and the takeoff for the Diverter valve...

d2da667d.jpg

And this pipe is the turbo intake pipe. Its a 3 inch 45 degree pipe which also incorporates the inlet for the Diverter valve and also a nipple underneath incase i need it later on. If its not used i can simply block it off with a small bolt as its simply an ali boss with a brass nipple inserted...

207acfe3.jpg

And heres a few of when i got back and offered them up again to make sure i got it right...

Turbo feed...

23198567.jpg

To join and then under the headlamp...

0abdddbc.jpg

To join to the intercooler...

54477922.jpg

And then on the other side...

cf51cc99.jpg

Up to the throttle body, didnt have another gash silicone hose...

632cedb7.jpg

So thats the chargepipe route. Its still only mocked up, will be painting it all black before final fitting and by then ill have the black silicone to go with it.

The TIP will look like this...

c739dc8d.jpg

showing the DV intake and the brass nipple...

05293799.jpg

And heres a quick pic to show where the catch tank will be, although a little higher obv...

3544b468.jpg

Just need to take it all to bits again, prep the welds and rub down, paint and finally fit!!

Chuffed to bits aswell, managed to bag a mint EGT sensor for £60! thank god for saved searches on ebay!! woohoo!!

Doubt it mate, the past few little jobs ive done whilst the plasterers have been in my house so ive sneaked out lol

But now ive got lots on with what feels like an ever increasing workload so the car wont be at inters. But i definately will!!

The pipes definately are snug, the bay isnt too big when you fill it with all the gash bits and bobs so i measured measured measured measured measured measured cut....lol

Grabbed another hour today to get a few little bits out the way.

As everything has been in mock up mode theres been a lot of stuff fitted but not totally tightened up (turbo/compressor housing/wastegate and piping/oil and water lines)

So even though this pic doesnt look to different from the last time, this time its all where it should be and tightened up to where it needs to be. The oil feed is the only thing not tightened up as before i start it ill pump the turbo full of oil and check its getting there through the feed line before tightening it up and starting the engine.

2474e8ba.jpg

ca6c5728.jpg

Before knocking that up i wanted to take the wastegate to bits and double check which spring i had

45e2355c.jpg

And it was good to confirm i had the large Blue spring which is 1Bar (14.5psi).

Anyone any experience of running an external gate and whether this spring is good for my application? Or is there a better option?

Next little task was to sort out the breather system. I did, as im sure youll remember make up a metal pipe complete with takeoff, however now ive fitted the VVT tensioner that pipe no longer fits. So instead of wasting any more time ive just fitted a 90 degree 19mm pipe fitting coming off the main breather...

43083f43.jpg

To connect some 19mm oil resistant pipe up to another T-piece which nicely connects the rocker breather via a funky silicone pipe i found in my box of tricks. Think it was me mates out of a silicone kit he bought for his mk4 golf...

eedbe8d9.jpg

And the top of this T-piece will go off to the catch tank...

b789ec23.jpg

So as im ready to sort the catch tank i thought about making a bracket for it out of some ali offcut i got off Ben...

c18d14d7.jpg

And then knocked up a simple bracket, cut the holes and then hung it up to paint...

6a0bb48a.jpg

And whilst i was there i used the last of that batch of paint that i had on the pipes from yesterday...

9b3ef7a7.jpg

:)

Yep you can configure it to any rate really with different springs.

Why does it need to be above 20 psi Andrew? Is that optimal for mapping and control? That what youve got buddy?

Good work Mush,its threads like this that make a forum :beerchug:

Yep you can configure it to any rate really with different springs.

Why does it need to be above 20 psi Andrew? Is that optimal for mapping and control? That what youve got buddy?

With a turbo that size is seams a waste to run it less than 20 psi

I am going to start mine at 25 psi and then turn it up to 30 psi maybe 35 psi?

Yeah itll definately be getting ran up a lot higher than the current spring rate 1bar (14.5) but what is the optimum spring rate to have with regards to boost control? Is it benficial to go high then use the boost controller to kerb that or low and let the boost controller raise the pressure?

Its something im yet to look into yet to be fair.

Still open to different options regarding that one. N75 alone is most probably out of the window as it seems people have found it near impossible to run an external gate with oem management and just that valve alone. So the options i see that would work are N75+MBC or just a standalone MBC. Still looking into this of course, need some defining info really

Nice one, i was thinking that would probably be best. At least i should be able to see your results before mine goes.

Maybe as i've just taken mine out for a test drive and it seams to get hot very fast and have seen water temp hit high nineties, maybe my anti freeze mix its too strong? anyway we'll see and i'll let you know.

****** thing is popping away on over run and i'm not even revving it 2.5k max

Don't have vagcom so i can't tell you what readings its doing

Last edited:
The coolant mix your using 50/50? Maybe an airlock as youve just put it together?

As for popping is that not just because youve got your 870cc's in and its not mapped yet? Maybe its overfuelling slightly?

What boost you running to start off with mate? Mine will be low to start as ill be running in

Some great work there fella.

Been keeping my eye on this thread for a while...looking forward to the next instalment.

Some great work there fella.

Been keeping my eye on this thread for a while...looking forward to the next instalment.

cheers bud,

Not a great deals happened this week, been waiting for a few bits and bobs to turn up, like these...

377164c5.jpg

The order was messed up though (isnt it always??!!!!) so some stuff was wrong and some didnt turn up.

Off to the keswick beer festival tomorrow so itll be next week when i can crack on!

cheers bud,

Not a great deals happened this week, been waiting for a few bits and bobs to turn up, like these...

377164c5.jpg

The order was messed up though (isnt it always??!!!!) so some stuff was wrong and some didnt turn up.

Off to the keswick beer festival tomorrow so itll be next week when i can crack on!

Why do they always mess up orders???Very frustrating sometimes.
Keswick beer festival sounds like a good distraction/reason to have a break from the project though :beerchug:

Also Pm'd ya fella.

Why do they always mess up orders???Very frustrating sometimes.
Keswick beer festival sounds like a good distraction/reason to have a break from the project though :beerchug:

Also Pm'd ya fella.

Yep beer festival was a good laugh! Just discovered Wainwrights! what a beer!!

Havnt got your pm mate.

Cracked on when i got back with getting a few little jobs done. offered up the map sensor for fitment in the boss, all good!!

7b374c27.jpg

And with some of the pipes painted i fitted them up for final fitment before i start it up...

ff9699dc.jpg

You can see the forge supersize DV just peaking up on the rhs of the bay. The standard manifold looks pretty gash, think i need to crack on with getting this RMR manifold made up!!

Big thing i did was final fitment of the catch tank...

c027d0f7.jpg

The inlet and the outlet pipe looked a bit gash sat together imo, so i wrapped them in some exhaust heatshield with some stainless cable ties, looks a lot better i think. The outlet is just a pipe directed down to the rear of the subframe, along with the drain off pipe. So now to drain i dont have to get anything in awkwardly, i just turn the tap and put the oil drain tank i have underneath the car. simples.

Heres how it looks with the strut brace fitted...

5e7150b2.jpg

So next task is to pull the front end off, finish painting the boost pipes and intercooler and then ill fit it up for the last time and then ill be able to get the coolant in the system. The oils already in the engine and the pas fluid is topped up. Think ill be fitting up the inlet manifold just to get it started up and it means ive got some time to get the RMR manifold sorted.

That and sending the sodding wrongly delivered parts of course....!!

AWSOME thread and even better build..good stuff, keep up the good work... ;)
cheers
Steve

Yep ill video the start Dave, hopefully itll be relatively pain free!! Lol

On the wastegate spring, the choice of spring dictates the LOWEST boost pressure you'll be able to run. If you put a 20psi spring in there you wont be able to turn the boost down below 20psi. Boost control systems work by "hiding" boost from the actuator/wastegate, which allows you to increase boost over the base setting, but not decrease it.

1 bar is probably verging on the high side if you want really good N75 control.

On the wastegate spring, the choice of spring dictates the LOWEST boost pressure you'll be able to run. If you put a 20psi spring in there you wont be able to turn the boost down below 20psi. Boost control systems work by "hiding" boost from the actuator/wastegate, which allows you to increase boost over the base setting, but not decrease it.

1 bar is probably verging on the high side if you want really good N75 control.

Yup understand all that, probably wont be looking to control it via N75 to be fair. Not heard of a single successful project at this level with external gate where the N75 was used. However, still much looking into the subject to do.

Small beans really but ive been to see Damian @ DPM, lucky enough to be a friend for many years now and hes an all round top bloke. Hes sorted my wheel/brake clearance problem with a set of H&R wheel spacers...

e24cce2c.jpg

10mm spacers which means i can now bolt the wheels back on...lol

5d33fbac.jpg

happy days