MUSH Developments` S3

Anyone any ideas what spacer to go for

On 8J ET33 you could go for a 15 mm spacer up front and it wouldnt look stupid. Mine are 8.5J ET25 and they look fine. If you stuck a 15mm spacer up front then they would only poke out .65mm further than mine which is neither here nor there

as i am sure you know, hubcentric

Last edited:
Got some 5 mm spacers if you need to try a set, I am using 3 mm on the front to clear the AP calipers that i am using

Aye ill try them if thats ok mate, be nice to be sure before i buy some!! Pmd

Cracking job so far Mush and almost there now matey, keep it up and you'll easily make inters, hope to see you there fella :icon_thumright:

Cracking job so far Mush and almost there now matey, keep it up and you'll easily make inters, hope to see you there fella :icon_thumright:

Cheers bud, ill be there and hopefully this will too!! ;)

Just another little update.

after offering up the callipers for the 200th time ive decided to use the original idea of fitting link pipes between the calliper and the line. Did this because when fitted i wasnt happy with how the brake pipe was close to the ARB droplink. Only didnt do it this way originally as my link pipes were rotten, so knocked some up...

9537cafe.jpg

And mounted the callipers.

663348c7.jpg

Noticed the passenger side hub carrier is a little threaded, might have to mod or replace this (another problem!!) So i might hold off bleeding them until i get a good look at the offending bolt hole.

Also tried the 5mm spacers S17ATW kindly lent me, however theyre still too close, so i might try a set of forge 8mm spacers. They should do the job.

Spent another 5 mins on boost pipes aswell. Really need to get some good time in the garage, which i just havnt been able to do lately. But got some ideas on the arrangement needed. Theres either trying to keep the flow of boost down the original direction by routing the pipes over the top of the rocker cover like so..

47daf85b.jpg

Which does introduce another bend into the route. Theres plenty of space on top of the rocker, plus ill be adding a heatshield to the top of the coils, however i dont think ive seen it route like this before, but it could be simpler by routing it down the rhs like so...

92bdcffa.jpg

Which is simpler but doesnt look so good lol. Changing the direction of the inlet isnt really a problem, the only ballache will be extending the wiring for the throttle body being on the other side. Again not really a problem, just more time consuming.

Thought please chaps...

i think the inlet looks better on the right hand side!
the other way looks a bit out of place like its not ment to be there. if you know what i mean !

Shame youve already had your intercooler knocked up, otherwise you couldve had one with the inlet and outlet on the righy hand side and throttle body and inlet can stay same.

i think the inlet looks better on the right hand side!
the other way looks a bit out of place like its not ment to be there. if you know what i mean !

yep i agree, for aesthetics then its definately better on the rhs, however functionality is key!

Shame youve already had your intercooler knocked up, otherwise you couldve had one with the inlet and outlet on the righy hand side and throttle body and inlet can stay same.

Both inlet and outlet on the same side? Think that would be a bit too busy down that side then though. Im undecided which side to go for now, its all about performance i suppose. Dont know if one extra bend will make much difference to both flow and most importantly, heat as it would be sat on top of a hot engine already.

One issue that would come apparent would be access to the coils/plugs which ergonomically should be pretty accessible, but wouldnt be if the pipe ran over it. Hmmm

Hello mate, nice project!
Im new to this forum just had my s3 a few months, funny that all the big turbo ones are silver, hoping mine should be ready soon!
Quick question what cllutch setup are you going to be using??

Ive got a HELIX single mass flywheel and ceramettalic paddle clutch mate. Only really needed for big power, it will most probably be really bitey but this is a weekend car so im sure itll be fun. :)

not for the faint hearted though, £1k worth of clutch!! :(

welcome to ASN matey! Whats your project?

Ive got a HELIX single mass flywheel and ceramettalic paddle clutch mate. Only really needed for big power, it will most probably be really bitey but this is a weekend car so im sure itll be fun. :)

Hello matey, thanks.
I would have thought you would have chosen a twin plate if its not a daily driver and being 4wd, but having said that I know that helix clutch setup is really good.
I am doing a similar project to yours, weekend car, but still not sure what turbo to go with 30 or possibly 35
I will make a build thread shortly,

Good stuff mate ill look forward to it. If your thinkin of going bigger than a 30, you may like the sound of the GTX range as Andrew@ALD on here has. 600+bhp capable turbo but GT30 frame! Very impressive

Fantastic build Mush!

It's going to be amazing when it's finished, you seem to be thinking ahead of any issue that may crop up so hopefully it'll be hassle free when it's finished :)

I suppose you could put the pipe work going over the coilpacks, then IF in the future you want to go largeport, you could get the largeport intake manifold and swap the pipework over

:eek: you must have money to burn!

Fantastic build Mush!

It's going to be amazing when it's finished, you seem to be thinking ahead of any issue that may crop up so hopefully it'll be hassle free when it's finished :)

I suppose you could put the pipe work going over the coilpacks, then IF in the future you want to go largeport, you could get the largeport intake manifold and swap the pipework over

Cheers buddy, i try to plan ahead but im pretty much at that point now where its just a case of offering it all up and fettling to make it fit.

Ive got an AEB largeport head thats been port n polished by JP @ JNL on now, the plan is to cut up an AGU largeport manifold that ive got and add a custom plenum so modifying it to have the throttle body on the LHS isnt a problem. Im looking at the RMR DIY plenums but the postage they want is just silly...

MUSH

I'm having a problem with mine and i can see the same problem with yours

Are you able to remove the valve cover easily without removing most of the down pipe, pipes and turbo?

Great keep up the good work. What fuel pump are you going to be using? will you be using water meths

MUSH

I'm having a problem with mine and i can see the same problem with yours

Are you able to remove the valve cover easily without removing most of the down pipe, pipes and turbo?

Couldnt tell you yet mate, but ill be taking it off in the next few days to change my cam tensioner so ill know then.

Great keep up the good work. What fuel pump are you going to be using? will you be using water meths

Thanks mate, Fuel pump i plan on using will be the walbro 255 that ive already got. Ill probably fit it inline in place of the filter, as most have, and then fit an ibiza cupra filter in the bay. Im not really in a hurry to fit the pump as to run the engine in ill only be fitting the S3 injectors and limiting the boost with the EBC, so a pump wont be needed just yet. The ECU will then run the engine closed loop lambda and provide only the fuel i need to run in, so i dont kill the rings, which would be what would probably happen if i ran it with the 630cc injectors initially.

As for WMI....? Its tempting to fit it now, but i find all these little things just add up and take forever. So its definately on the cards, but not just yet....lol

Glad to announce ive just realised the multiquote function is now on this new forum layout... haha

Sometimes forums are totally pointless, people end up bitching about differing opinions and it all gets a little "silly...." However somethimes theyre great, with nice people and you benefit greatly from them.

This post wont be that much of an update, as you will see i havnt actually done anything, although there has been some developments.

I always wanted to make a different inlet manifold, for better performance and probably more importantly for better looks (lol), so after seeing s17atw`s RMR plenum i mentioned on this thread my gauging interest. Big shout out to Andy123 who kindly got in touch and offered his DIY RMR manifold, as he wasnt using it. Two days later its on my doorstep so now ive got this to make up...

c78821c3.jpg

Cheers Andy, top bloke!

You may have read previously in the thread that i havnt got a VVT chain tensioner, and to be fair, after speaking to many people i didnt think there would be any reason to get one. I was aware it would have to be coded out (as im using ME7.5 with VVT management) but didnt think there would be any major problems. However after being informed my fuel trims wouldnt adapt which to be fair will be essential for running in to ensure i dont kill the rings accidently by running rich, i thought id get one to be safe. And as mentioned it might also help in mapping. Cheers Aragorn and RevoCarl!

Met a guy at elsecar to collect a mint AUQ smallport head with only 48k on it

a51c7a45.jpg

Which is immaculate! Inside looks brand new! However all i want it for is the VVT tensioner...

6ab5341c.jpg

And ill probably fit my new manual tensioner before selling on. Itll be APY spec then. Ill easily get my money back so its all good.

Anyhoo, next update should be fitting the tensioner on saturday and then things can really start to go together.

Shameless plug but im selling my brand new Neuspeed P-Flo induction kit as pictured previously if anyones interested get in touch.

:cool:

I think the VVT inlet cam is a different part to the non-VVT cam.

Not sure whats different mind, but non-VVT engines seem to use an "021B" cam, and the VVT engines use "021M"

Worth looking into if your going to convert to VVT.

I think the VVT inlet cam is a different part to the non-VVT cam.

Not sure whats different mind, but non-VVT engines seem to use an "021B" cam, and the VVT engines use "021M"

Worth looking into if your going to convert to VVT.

Cheers, ill swap the cam over aswell, aslong as its in good nick.

Nice work mate... I am still leaning towards a SEM mani... I may have the opportunity to try a SEM once I have sorted the rest of my probs out (this weekend hopefully)... silver am fastest ;P

<tuffty/>

Nice work mate... I am still leaning towards a SEM mani... I may have the opportunity to try a SEM once I have sorted the rest of my probs out (this weekend hopefully)... silver am fastest ;P

<tuffty/>

Cheers matey, the SEM is great but i just wouldnt spend that much on it. I got the RMR bits cheap so should keep my bargain basement project in line. lol Cant wait to see your update, and hopefully the big 400!

Custom for me, May get a SEM but i don't like the price of them

Same here bud, i was in the swing of getting a decent plenum welded on an old AGU set of runners for now, but this will be even better as it will be without the restrictive injector bosses in the airflow. I may even get my S3 plenum on the AGU runners just for now and bolt up the RMR with R32 throttle body, billet fuel rail, aeromotive fpr, 630cc`s and walbro pump later on just before mapping.

Had one of those days today, got nothing done that i wanted but had to deal with other problems...

Had a good morning playing golf (couldnt be watching weddings, let alone royal ones...!!) with the intention of hitting the garage to get the brakes finished and the chain tensioner swapped over. However the near side front hub carrier has a threaded hole. Doh!

Now i didnt know this, as (think ive already mentioned it) my ding pal Spence took the brakes off as he was desperate to get the brand new 312mm set up for his mk4. Gave him a right talking to when i realised. My argument being even if he didnt do it, he would have realised it when taking it off. The bolt was sloppy as anything in the hole! RANT OVER...

Anyhoo, i had the car up on all 4`s so i could bleed the brakes after fitment, so to get the hub carrier off i had to drop the front with the wheels on, to loosen the hub nut.

dd228314.jpg

Then it was a simple strip off job. To be fair it all came apart really easy. No seized nuts/bolts, and the strut came away piece of P.

6ecbff8a.jpg

The offending part...

09d04add.jpg

The offending bolt hole...

61446df8.jpg

As the hub carrier was off i decided, as i was taking stuff to bits, i might aswell fit the coilovers at the same time. Its only another few bolts isnt it...? lol

So stripped the strut off the drivers side also...

c0a8283f.jpg

So ive got some new parts to buy tomorrow, also have to secure a hub carrier as i havnt got one, but im sure ill manage.

Ages ago i bought some second hand FK Silver edition coilovers. I wouldnt normally but theyd only seen 6 months of the road and were mint condition. So just needed checking over and cleaning up.

0048374e.jpg

They are mint like...

0b987f53.jpg

And then i had to stop work as my 4 yr old daughter informed me we were going out and if i didnt hurry up shed be divorcing me! LOL

Did a job today that ive been dreading for a while. Not becasue it was hard or anything, just because im now in the build up process and its not nice to have to take things to bits again.

Started with going to get some new top mounts and the cam chain tensioner gasket sets. I wanted a wheel bearing kit aswell for when i change to a new hub carrier but they were out of stock so ill have to wait til tuesday for that. Anyhoo, top mounts...

243a8673.jpg

Gasket set...

a48d89c0.jpg

And i also bought a chain tensioner tool...

9cad84a0.jpg

Not bad for £4...!

I then cracked on with getting the chain tensioner swapped over. I did think i may have problems with the new wastegate piping but it was easy enough. I had to loosen the wastegate link pipe from the manifold and just tilt it back so it was out of the way of the rocker cover. Then got it off...

90330a7e.jpg

Timed the engine up watching for the marks/16 roller links etc, marked it up also...

dd2f2af9.jpg

Fitted the tensioner tool...

b664c35f.jpg

And then undid the inlet cam as per elsawin. All i did was follow that, instead of someone elses guide which may be wrong, or their point of view.

And the chain tensioner comes out easy. I did have to undo the exhaust bearing cap closest the chain sprocket end to give a little movement.

4b4eaf98.jpg

Hers a pic of my workshop manual...lol Best thing i ever did was get an old laptop and load everything up on it. No more head scratching!

e9cf6b68.jpg

Then it was just a case of swapping over the tensioner tool to the VVT tnesioner i already had removed, and fit it before building up again...

85680100.jpg

Bit mad how the tensioner was from a mint cylinder head but it looked dirty compared to my head lol

Covers fitted...

65e3a192.jpg

Rocker fitted again with coils...

2b35fa3e.jpg

So now i have VVT

399a1115.jpg

And all plugged up...

84c58850.jpg

I havnt totally fitted it all back up again as im going to make a heatshield for the coils. Might do that tomorrow.

Then the only thing to do was fit my brand spankers non VVT tensioner to the AUQ head i bought, so i can now get rid of that.

8944fe2b.jpg

Chuffed thats now done, can continue moving on with the build. Shame about the naff pics, the lens got smudged by my oily hands! Doh...

:cool:

Last edited:
Just a little update, got some ali off me mate so decided to set about making up a coil heatshield in the hour i had spare before the clubgti meet tonight.

Just measured up the size required and chopped it out of the sheet

b2f2cda3.jpg

Then made a few little mods to get it to fit and look better, kept the rear fixing strip flat and then the heatshield part i bent over in a slight curve, with the edges smoothed. Therell be a front right fixing point also.

2f3d40c6.jpg

And then cut out a small semi circle for access to the oil cap and marked up the holes for the fixing points. I couldnt drill these as i didnt have my drill on me (another story...) but ill do that and then spray it, hmm lets think....matt black. But itll basically look like...

45dfe469.jpg

And thats that.

as always Nick, nice work!

Must be awesome to build something like this :( I can only dream sitting here with my little ko3S!

Cheers Nick

Difference being mate that you get to use yours to its full potential on the track. I live a bit too far from any tracks to enjoy it that much, although i will be aiming to have some fun on the occasional sprint and possibly a track in the future i couldnt really make it a track car as it wouldnt be worth it. This is mainly a fast road car. Think with me its just as much about building it as driving. Something to keep me busy... Lol