MUSH Developments` S3

@Dani_B19

Canty take all of the credit for the cooler, it was my idea and measurements but it was my mate Ben at BA fabrications in darlo that wleded it up. Sure hed be happy to do another when were finished this one.

@DaveA3

Arrh shucks...

@mk1chopper

Yep mate im all booked up. Hopefully this will be with me aswell!

@Andrew@ALD

That fitting is a -6AN male fitting that can be crimped on to. I measured up and used it as the pipe from the after run water pipe fits in over it snuggly. Ill just jubilee clip the water pipe onto it. Think it will be good for an 8mm pipe, i can check tomorrow if you need it.

@Superkarl

As andrew has shown his intake is "slightly" (lol) bigger than mine. If i suffer from surge then i will probably upgrade to the larger anti surge compressor housing. The physical compressor size shouldnt differ too much though. Although even though they look similar, ill not be hitting the 500...!

I simply chose my car because it was clean, i had a few colours shortlisted and this basically ticked all the boxes. Although it is a little mad how they are all silver...

@MUSH

I haven't been on here for a while and this is the first thread I've read.......WTFF??!!! (What the F*cking F*ck)

I can't wait to see this finished, it's right up there with Pauls car and Sergey the mad Russian!

You've obviously done your homework and the quality looks spot on. Good work mate! :)

@Dani_B19

Canty take all of the credit for the cooler, it was my idea and measurements but it was my mate Ben at BA fabrications in darlo that wleded it up. Sure hed be happy to do another when were finished this one.

@DaveA3

Arrh shucks...

@mk1chopper

Yep mate im all booked up. Hopefully this will be with me aswell!

@Andrew@ALD

That fitting is a -6AN male fitting that can be crimped on to. I measured up and used it as the pipe from the after run water pipe fits in over it snuggly. Ill just jubilee clip the water pipe onto it. Think it will be good for an 8mm pipe, i can check tomorrow if you need it.

@Superkarl

As andrew has shown his intake is "slightly" (lol) bigger than mine. If i suffer from surge then i will probably upgrade to the larger anti surge compressor housing. The physical compressor size shouldnt differ too much though. Although even though they look similar, ill not be hitting the 500...!

I simply chose my car because it was clean, i had a few colours shortlisted and this basically ticked all the boxes. Although it is a little mad how they are all silver...

Excellent, you put your name down for the ASN stand, be good to see the finish project in the flesh

Nice one mush, just one question though.

How are you going to connect onto the end tank pipes? There oval arnt they?

@MUSH
I haven't been on here for a while and this is the first thread I've read.......WTFF??!!! (What the F*cking F*ck)
I can't wait to see this finished, it's right up there with Pauls car and Sergey the mad Russian!
You've obviously done your homework and the quality looks spot on. Good work mate! :)

Wow, cheers mate.

I read them along with other 20v big turbo threads with great interest, and take lots of inspriration which helps me decide where want to go with my project.

Excellent, you put your name down for the ASN stand, be good to see the finish project in the flesh

Never thought of that mate, i may well do that. Although im not really into polishingitup for shows lol. Im sure i could give it a going over if it makes it.

Nice one mush, just one question though.
How are you going to connect onto the end tank pipes? There oval arnt they?

All will be revealed my friend.

Great news today, got the car booked into AAS (advanced automotive systems) in newcastle for the downpipe and exhaust to be built.

It goes in on the 12th april and theyll have it 2-3 days. If your not in the know then AAS are the daddys when it comes to custom exhaust and tubular fabrication in the north east. They make exhausts/manifolds/cages/chassis` and just about anything you want. Got lots to clear up before then but the brief spec weve agreed for now is...

3" full system from turbo back, External wastegate plumbed back into system, with relocation pipe from the manifold, wrapped downpipe. Exhaust with two boxes, with twin 3 inch rolled and slashed (for oem look) tailpipes. Therell be two bosses on the downpipe for the wideband lambda and EGT sensor.

Got lots of pals with AAS systems and all say its the best money theyve spent.

Im well excited and will have pics after then!!

:laugh:

Its not so much about shown an shine on the ASN stand, more about getting the forum members together and showing support for the forum.

Looking forward to seeing the exhaust system.

Last edited:
Its not so much about shown an shine on the ASN stand, more about getting the forum members together and showing support for the forum.

Looking forward to seeing the exhaust system.

What he said :)

JoJo never cleans his car!!

<tuffty/>

Oh well then, ill see about getting my name down then, be nice to see some faces.

Time to put the engine in, so i got the car back on all 4 wheels after i fitted the driveshaft that i had to remove to change the outer CV.

105.jpg

Sitting rather high! Lots of weight to go yet, Ive bolted up the intercooler to offer up the bumper and get some final measurements before i go and see Ben for final fettlement.

Fitted the front engine bracket and got the air con and pas pump fitted, just beacuse its easier this way. Got the engine on the ground and off the stand...

108.jpg

So that i could pack the engine stand away under the bench...

107.jpg

I like having the stand in the garage, lets me sort of know that ive got a project on. Oh well, until the next time my friend...

Ive fitted a new clutch slave cylinder onto the box. Great piece of engineering this. I did look at the bell housing and thought "should i clean it...?". In short i didnt! lol

111.jpg

And then it was clutch time. The setup im fitting is a Helix single plate flywheel, Helix ceramettalic paddle plate and Helix uprated cover...

109.jpg

Really nice piece of kit and comes with all the correct bolts etc. My my turning that final 90 degree on the flywheel bolts is a bit tough! But all fitted, witht he engine to box gasket...

110.jpg

Then just need to simply bolt the box on...

112.jpg

113.jpg

Again, i thought, should i clean and maybe paint the box? Err nope, couldnt be bothered, and to be fair you cant really see it when fully installed so im not worried. Ill maybe add a short shift kit in the future. For now thats just standard though.

Anyhoo, engine bay looking a bit bare...

114-1.jpg

115.jpg

Fitted a new expansion bottle also, had it sat in the garage and mine was manky so might aswell. Also fitted THS FR3 engine mounts. Great items, and got them at a great price as both me and a pal bought them together.

Got me pal Spence and me good old Dad to give me a hand. Bless him he was a mechanic years ago and he gave it up because he was sick of it. Little did he know that years later i would want to take cars to bits just like i did my bikes, and even worse that i would rope him in to it! lol But bless him hes had 10 years of it now so i think hes used to it.

Because my garage has a ramp right at the front so it would be too much hassle to use an engine lift, we always remove and install engines with two jacks. all we do is push the car right back to give us room. Then we set the engine up on the jacks with wooden blocks underneath. Then with it in position we just carefully pull the car forward onto the engine. Then its just a case of lining it up and bolting it up. And hey presto...

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Crap pics i know but the light wasnt great. Engine went in quite easy (although it did highlight a few issus lol) but more on that later, needless to say i had to ditch the existing top heatshield...

119.jpg

So ill have to make up a better one next time. Now the real challenge starts by getting everything to fit and work properly...

:keule:

I try my best dave!

Do you still knock the tie bars up matey?

Blaydon mate, just off the A1 at the metrocentre.

Your not that far away from me S3,s are a bit thin on the ground were I live... I'm off to PD tuning in Boldon for a Dyno run at 10 o'clock this mornin

Theres not many up here either mate, so much to say that its nice to see one as its a bit dare i say "rare?" lol

ive heard of PD tuning but never been myself. Youll have to take some pics and write a little about it.

Im down your neck of the woods all the time with work, "life on the A19"... Lol

Yep there like Hens teeth lol..... Wouldn't mind havin a buzz up and lookin at your car when it's all done mate

Yeah be nice to put a face to a name, as contrary to what my other half says, i am quite sociable... Lol

With the engine now in the bay, it is a big step forward. However installing it did highlight a few little problems.

At first the turbo was close to the air con pipes and the brake servo vacuum line. I had to bend the pipes slightly which was easy enough as theyre just ali. At first i thought i was faced with a dilemma of aircon or not. However it was quite an easy fix. The brake servo line will have to be made aswell as the original sits in my way, again an easy fix really. As pictured i also had to ditch the top heatshield. Ill be making another to replace that one soon.

The biggest problem once the engine was sat level and aligned, was that the turbo compressor housing was very close to the top of the bulkhead, on the underside of the scuttle.

So after filing the compressor housing down slightly, i then bashed the bulkhead.

120.jpg

All i did with this was make sure there was a good few cm`s of space at the rear in case of engine movement or heat expansion. I gave it big licks and the metal split slightly in one place, but this isnt a problem as once i was finished bashing, i prepped, sealed, and then painted.

IMG_0563.jpg

This isnt cosmetic, as ill cover that area in heatshielding. Its purely to protect the metal. I did consider cutting and welding the scuttle, but decided against it as it simply wasnt necessary, especially as its getting covered anyway.

Once that was sorted, i started on getting the ancillaries all installed. Just plodding on now and making sure everything fits properly, and if it needs modding due to the big turbo, then modding it on the way.

As its common for these starters to screech when starting the engine, i decided to do what i did to fix this on my mk4. It simply needed cleaning out and greasing up. Obv i havnt used this one yet but id like when fitted for it to stay fitted, so i stripped it down to clean out...

122.jpg

Cover comes off...

123.jpg

and then its just a case of stripping out all the planetary gears, the main ring gear and cleaning it all up. Then when clean regreased and built back up. And thats it done, this isnt a rebuild, just a spruce up so hopefully no horrible noises come from it.

Then fitted it...

IMG_0545.jpg

Which meant i could fit the loom support and get the looms dressed onto the engine. As it was fitted i also connected up all the pas pipes. Had to remember how they all went together but it all came back to me...lol

Time to fess up about being a bit of a tit too, made a few little mistakes of late. Didnt even think about the sump, and when i was under the car fitting the dogbone, i realised the AGU block and sump i had was from a non oil sensor car. :banghead:

So i needed a sump. Good job me pal had one spare and he even brought it down for me. Top bloke! Cheers Neil.

So now ive got this...

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

And its even nice and clean!! Just needs a final going over and thatll be going on.

Next **** up was wiring. I checked over the engine loom and even tagged it up to help myself when fitting it. But for some reason i didnt check for the oil sensor and gearbox hall sensor.:keule:

And when it wasnt there to feed round and down the back of the engine i shat myself, thinking the loom might be spurious or damaged. But luckily when i took off some of the convoluted tubing, i found the correct cores. Someone probably snipped them out when they couldnt be bothered to disconnect the loom properly. So under the tubing i found these...

IMG_0546.jpg

Which made me vey happy as ive got looms i the garage which i could take the missing loom from. Then it was just a simple soldering job...

IMG_0550.jpg

And thats the loom repaired. I rewrapped the loom and then fed it to the back of the engine and dressed the oil sensor loom down the back of the engine to where it needed to be.

Two simple **** ups :blush: But luckily easy to fix!:icon_thumright:

One job i cant stand for some reason is driveshaft removal and installation. So wanted to get that out the way. Got the driveshafts/propshaft and heatshield all fitted with no problems...

121.jpg

And now onto more problems... lol

The original heater matrix pipes run right in front of where the turbo intake is going to be...

126.jpg

Not a greatphoto, but trust me theyre in the way. The biggest issue is that the connectors that clip onto the matrix, stick straight out like this...

IMG_0551.jpg

Which puts them in the way, so after a bit of digging i found these ones...

IMG_0552.jpg

Which are great as i can angle them down. So i got two of them and then mocked up the pipes but they didnt line up with metal water pipe. So out came the hacksaw...

127.jpg

And then mocked up to see where i had to weld the end on...

128-1.jpg

I then welded it up.

IMG_0553.jpg

I welded it first then dressed it back with the bench grinder, but then decided to go round it again so its a nice big weld as i certainly wont want this failing when on the car as its a PITA to get off once everythings fitted. And this is it fitted with the matrix pipe flipped...

IMG_0554.jpg

For the other pipe i could have used a 2wd 20vt pipe as it goes straight to the coolant flange on the side of the head, but its got a big kink and would have looked a bit *****. Plus the big loop of pipe would have been close to the turbo. So i used the flipped heater matrix pipe as the top part, and then the bottom part is the 2wd 20vt pipe. This i found was the neatest option and best suited. But i needed a hose joiner then to join the pipes. And as i wanted proper beaded ends to ensure no coolant loss, i had to make one out of the metal pipe remains...

IMG_0555.jpg

So used two bits together...

IMG_0556.jpg

And then welded them together...

IMG_0557.jpg

Not the neatest but didnt matter. Dressed them back...

IMG_0558.jpg

And then just a quick prep and paint...

IMG_0560.jpg

And this is how they will look when fitted. (Just mocked up for now)

IMG_0564.jpg

No interference so all good!! When making these i made sure none of the pipes were strained and they were exactly where i wanted them, so that when theres pressure in there that they put no unwanted pressure on anything else.

Next tasks will be finally making and fitting the last of the heatshield for the top of the bay and then i can crack on with more of fitting it all up.

Cheers for looking...

Looks good mate... watch for leaks in those welds though... G12 is seaking stuff... the smallest pin hole and it seems to find it!!! spent many an hour draining down, welding (well not me but Bill lol) and refitting etc only to find another little ******..

What engine mounts you using? the clearence on the bulkhead looks a bit tight to me, the engine will naturally climb backwards on anything other than vibratechnik mounts tbh....

On the Polo build we had to tilt the engine a little bit more forward to get clearance... modified the dogbone mount to do that and still had to section the bulkhead scuttle cover to allow the turbo in...

<tuffty/>

Tufty, good advice matey, i welded them up, dressed them back, then welded round again before another dressing, but left some nice thick weld on top so hopefully theyll be fine. Only time will tell though...

That picture of the turbo isnt quite correct, the turbo was loose there and was sitting back. Did it just to get a pic. Ill get a better one soon but theres 2-3cm of space. You think thats enough? Ive got THS FR3 mounts on mate.

Danny

cheers mate

Tufty, good advice matey, i welded them up, dressed them back, then welded round again before another dressing, but left some nice thick weld on top so hopefully theyll be fine. Only time will tell though...

That picture of the turbo isnt quite correct, the turbo was loose there and was sitting back. Did it just to get a pic. Ill get a better one soon but theres 2-3cm of space. You think thats enough? Ive got THS FR3 mounts on mate.

Danny

cheers mate

I have THS mounts, they don't move as much as std which is not too bad... difficult to say on if thats gonna be enough tbh... on the Ibiza we just done Bill got an angled spacer made up and welded it to the manifold flange to tilt the turbo slightly forward to clear the bulkhead but I can't remember how much clearance the comp housing has... if I remember I'll have a look tomorrow evening when I am next over the workshop...

<tuffty/>

Top stuff Mush. i'm loving the build, brilliant read... keep it coming.

:thumbsup:...ask and ye shall receive!

Nowt massive though sadly, lifes little commitments have got me busy at the minute. But it is moving forward. Whenever i finish work i quickly jump into the garage for 20 mins to plod on with a list of little jobs.

Ive started building up the engine ancillaries, starting with little things like the thermostat and housing. Ive went for a low temp thermostat, hopefully this will help keep temperatures under control.

159.jpg

And bolted up with a new seal...

156.jpg

And then i could get the alternator fitted (always easier with full access:sly:). And also got the alternator cable/knock sensors/connector mount and cable tidy.

155.jpg

Always unsure when i remove all these little mounts and securing systems that i may not remember how they all go back together, but i marked them quite well so they went back together fine!

I am a wiring man so i like all these little clips and fixings that keep it tidy...

160.jpg

Ive also finished the wiring for the wotbox controller. There are two cores from the wotbox loom that come into the engine bay to intercept the power wires for the coilpacks. You cut the power wires and connect one core to the incomer, and the other core to the outgoer (power to the coils). That enables the wotbox controller to govern the power to the coils to control the igntion under launch and shifting. Anyhoo, heres the loom where it comes out from under the engine bay conduit and connects to the engine harness at the cylinder head. Ive covered it in black convlouted tubing so its nice and neat. Ive left a nice loop on it so it can be made tidy later on.

151.jpg

And then i could wrap up the coilpack wiring, secure it and fit the wiring heatshield...

154.jpg

And heres a few pics of the slight trimming ive done to the front panel to enable the intercooler tubing tobend round nice and tight. Dont want to have to trim the bumper, but still want nice free flowing pipework. This isnt exactly structural, and ive lost no strength by doing it so its all good.

Offside...

152.jpg

Nearside...

158.jpg

Intercoolers off on saturday for final fettlement so ill have an update on that soon.

When do you think you will have it on the road mate.... It seems to be flying along, a lot quicker than my TIP:laugh:

Haha, aslong as your enjoying it matey!

Exhaust gets made mid april, and ive just received the ali pipe needed to make up the boost pipes, so thatll be coming soon. Intercooler is off this sat for final modding and the ECU is going this week to be decoded also, so then itll just be building up and pulling it all together. At a guess id say some time in May, so hopefully i can have a decent shakedown before inters.

I do want a boost gauge fitted before it sees the road though, and will probably go for a stack. Anyone got or have an opinion on steering column pods?

looking good mate, just spent the last couple of days reading up on your build, finding time to read it has been hard but i plan to keep a close eye as its interesting stuff.
you must have mountings of vag stuff everywhere, "oh i have a problem no worries ill just go pick up that spare part laying around over there" haaha love it

Cheers for the nice comments lads.

S3_kev,
good point about stuff lying around, admittedly i am a little bit of a hoarder, but after a few mk2 golf conversions including my last 20vt powered one i have a few boxes of random stuff which have earned theyre keep. For example i found them 45 degree coolant connections in that box, then i dived in another box for the pipes. In the end i had to go to veedubs (local vw/audi breakers) for a few more so it was complete but its all about finding a solution to the problem you have. I do that at work all day so its no surprise i actually enjoy the challenge in my own time too. Lol suppose im just one of them kids, i do the same with my houses too!! Lol

i use the same theory through my work as well but its a bit different there as we work on all sorts of cars so its normally nick something of a scrap car out the back to fix a totally different make of car, id love to have hoards of vag stuff.