Launch Techniques for Street Racing :P

s8n

Reaction score
Website
allkris.com
Guys,

I've had my S3 for about 2months and had a few drags. Depending on how abusive I am to the clutch, gearbox, diff... Ive had 3 occasions where my launch wasnt the greatest and i've heard a CLUNK in the rear diff.

Is this normal? My friends WRX's used to do it when they launched very hard, ie what I did. Drop it around 4500...

Just want to know if anyone has heard this?

Whats the best way to launch the S3?

Best thing is to be at 4000rpm and let the clutch up quickly but progressively. Too soon and the engine will bog down and clunk like you describe - too slow and you will probably slip the clutch.

There is a sweet point and when you learn to get it not a lot will beat you from the line including Imprezas!

YAYAY

Thats exactly the issue, the engine bogs down and clunks as you described.

Its my launches that really suck, I know the car is very quick its just I need to work

Will test this out in some backstreets today..

So up quickly and progressivly but not TOO quick! *nods*

I tend to use about 3000/3500rpm, holding the car with the hand-brake, with a little bit of clutch slip/bite. Lights change, just lift of the clutch and handbrake at the same time, floor the throttle. Moff uses a similar technique, but tends to blip the throttle.

Its helped us both achieve 14.5s 1/4mile (or less in Moffs case) at Santa Pod dragway.

Never had any clunking sounds.

Its setting of quickly in normal traffic conditions that I found hard to get used to. Anything less than 2000rpm, it will bog down and you'll feel the lag of the turbo. So if aiming for a gap in traffic, 2000/2500rpm is a minimum to avoid bogging down IMO.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
I tend to use about 3000/3500rpm, holding the car with the hand-brake, with a little bit of clutch slip/bite. Lights change, just lift of the clutch and handbrake at the same time, floor the throttle. AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch!! Coming from the man who says he never races or go fast on the street... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif... Im after you Al.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Hey, never actually said I didn't race - it just doesn't happen very often!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After me eh?! I'm sure you'll catch me to in that chipped yellow missile!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AL

Never races!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My ****!

I seem to remember a fairly frantic drive back from Santa Pod not so long ago with a certain Al B at the wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:
What kind of damage to the clutch are we looking at with 3-4K launches ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. That's what's holding me back a lot from launching hard. Talk of blown clutches and Audi not paying out. Just what is reasonable and what is going to fry it.

Its not the cost of the physical part but the cost of labour charges to fit the damn thing. Anyone had a clutch fitted to an S3 that could enlighten me/us with the costs involved ??

Im pretty sure that an uprated MTM clutch costs about £850 all in, while a bog standard Audi one costs about £950.. someone can correct me if Im wrong.. and hey.. I dont do launch starts... or maybe I dont know how to do em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Clutches dont come cheap you know.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Al,

I am yet to see an S3 driver who doesnt push it to the limit atimes... Whats the point of buying it eh.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should stress, 3-4K launches aren't done everyday here. Just Santa Pod, the occasional race, or demonstration to an amazed passenger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most of the time I just keep up with the flow of traffic, and set of with revs below 2000rpm or at 2000rpm for roundabouts.

The way I see it is, yes starts like that are going to increase wear, no doubt about it. BUT the occasional one or two isn't going to do too much damage. Afterall, this is a performance car with 4wd - you've got to put the thing to proper use!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe ChelseaMick had a new MTM clutch fitted for around £800, something like that.

AL

AL ,So let me see if ive got this right then ....

1. put car in gear
2. rev to 6000rpm
3. drop clutch immediately
4. try to screech as much rubber as possible
5. hear a big 'clunk' means a good launch !!

Have i got that right ??
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:
AL ,So let me see if ive got this right then ....

1. put car in gear
2. rev to 6000rpm
3. drop clutch immediately
4. try to screech as much rubber as possible
5. hear a big 'clunk' means a good launch !!

Have i got that right ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the following will turn out to be somewhat more 'interesting':

1. Turn off ESP
2. Dip the clutch
3. Put car in gear
4. Rev engine until rev limiter cuts in, in an attempt to replicate some crude form of anti-lag system
5. Side-step the clutch immediately
6. Succeed in screeching rubber
7. Crash through the gears without so much as a hint of clutch use
8. Switch off hot engine immediately after hard thrash
9. Head to bank to check balance as you will surely be spending serious money in a very short space of time!

This method will appear to be far more interesting to the Max Power readers who happen to be watching... ho-hum!

Seriously though.. Im not good at launch starts as Daz and Mac can confirm.. We went time testing on our cars a while back and while Daz was gettin high 5's, low 6's to 60, I was getting piddly 8's ..

Driver change to Mac.. he got 5.9secs from mine tho he said it could've been less if he'd been more brutal with the clutch.. my main kicks really is what I get from in gear acceleration... Ive always noticed that most cars get a head start on me from the lights but I always reel them in. Good side I think is that my clutch still has a lot of life left in it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Im sure Mac is gonna say be more Brutal with the clutch ! Wasnt so long ago i remember well how he burnt his RS4 clutch to smithereens whilst trying to get the quick launches.

U mean to say that u thought you had a lot of life left in ur clutch that was until Mac got that 5.9 sec start !!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Wow. Daz must have improved his technique since he last went to Santa Pod - where i thrashed him 3 times in a row! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned that again.

Off-topic: Tony, when you speak to him next, tell him to get his lazy **** up to the Buxton meet.

AL

Mo,

U should've been there that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ... the smell of Macs burnin clutch was acrid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif... I think he had to change it shortly afterwards as he really gave it some... Even my mates who came with me to watch had to show some respect for Macs driving skills and also his beast of a car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Wow. Daz must have improved his technique since he last went to Santa Pod - where i thrashed him 3 times in a row! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned that again.

Off-topic: Tony, when you speak to him next, tell him to get his lazy **** up to the Buxton meet.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]Ouch!! Did you really Al??? He's never gonna be able to live this one down after the stick Ive had from him bout my driving skills/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I'll ave a word.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AL... how old r u ?? I dont know why but i seem to have this impression of you that ur about 50 something??

dont ask me where i got that idea from ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:
AL... how old r u ?? I dont know why but i seem to have this impression of you that ur about 50 something??

[/ QUOTE ]
Well if he's 50, then he's pretty holding it well from the piccys I've seen.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

No, he's definitely not, but for some reason I found that really funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Al, I agree, about 2K is plenty for most circumstances.

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum!

As some of you may or may not know the reason I know Al is that he is my sisters boyfriend. I remember the first time she brought him home, I thought he was about 18. We got chatting about cars and I asked him what he drove, 'Astra Sport' was his reply. I thought mmm yeah must be a MKII 1.3 with a cheap sport sticker stuck on the bootlid. I was gobsmacked when I saw it and it was a brand new 2.0 16v. I thought 'How the f*ck did he afford that, he's only just out of school' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Later found out he was in his late 20s and worked as a software engineer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Point is that Al does not look as old as he may come across as being on the forum. He's certainly not in his 50s!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Christian

That is indeed one of the funniest things I've read in a long while! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif Thanks a lot guys! You've made a dull afternoon much brighter.

Unfortunately we've completely hijacked poor s8n's post!

Its good to get some of the old banter back though.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
** Celebrate AL's 50th birthday this coming May

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

We could start a new game, guess each others age. Sure the results could be worth a laugh!

Hahaha! Al - your in good shape for a 50 year old! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW - I may be lucky but my clutch has lasted 45,000 miles so far and shows no sign of slip or damage. I have been hard on it but not abused it.

Time will tell but I enjoy being a fast launch practitioner - especially against the likes of Imprezas and Cossies. If you don't get a perfect launch you loose.

One day I hope to get a perfect launch.

It seems to me that the S3 requires a little more specific technique than many other performance cars like Beamers and Subarus, but if you get it right it is just superb.

I still say some gear stick instruction by an old hand would be useful. Al, can you bring Christian's sister along too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Veracocha said:
fast launch practitioner

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that: "fast launch practitioner" - what a title! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Veracocha said:
If you don't get a perfect launch you loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true though Benjy. Be gentle with it and you loose.

Why isn't Moff involved in this discussion? Probably playing in his S2000. He too is an expert "fast launch practitioner" of the highest caliber. He was very aggressive, allegedly, at the last Santa Pod meet through the gears. Hardly lifting off the gas between changes, hence his time of 14.4 summat. That was without a perfect start too, amazingly.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't Moff involved in this discussion? AL

[/ QUOTE ]

He's larging it at the annual sales conference, Celtic Manor, Nr Newport. Where Clinton stayed and played golf. Very nice but should be finishing about now and preparing himself mentally for the M5 carpark.

I go away and come back and kaboom!

Geeh, what happened here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had a bit of a play last night down some streets, I reved to 4k as mentioned, and had no clunk and a okish launch, I think 4k is far too much. I will play around tonight with 2500-3500 and see what I can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seems difficult, but the key is all in the launch.
0-60mph in 5.9?

Tell us HOW!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

s8n

Yeah sorry about the exploding thread.

I think S3bangs comment of 5.9 was for a chipped S3. You should be able to achieve about 6.3 in a standard car.

AL