ESP Problems.

Greig300

Reaction score
I've only owned my S3 for a month now and i'm sure some of the lights on my dash dont work. Plus i recon my ESP is not turning off either. Its defo working when i turn the car on and drive.... but ive never been able to turn it off. Ive tried countless times to hold the button in the time ive had it while stopped and running nothing.

I've attached a video below.

YouTube - MOV00800.MP4

So it defo works and the esp light flashes on the dash when it cuts in??
If you get no light when its blatantly cutting in id say the led or bulb has blown behind the instruments.
If it does flash at you when it kicks in maybe the switch itself is nakered and needs taking out.

No ive never seen it flash. I can feel it cut power though when accelerating and its wet. As you said it must be the led on the dash.

You telling me to do illegal activities? :p i like it lol... i will check on some grass somewherei recon when i got time :)

It 'could' be that the previous owner has removed the bulb because the car has a yaw rate sensor that is dead

Get the car scanned for faults :)

Take the clocks out,
Id say 90% that there will be some black tape covering the ESP light. As it is prob on all the time.

Thats what happened on mine, took the black tape off and it was on all the time.
Turned out my MAF was dodgy, replaced it n all was well

The Cluster is slightly marked... like kinda cracked at the top right corner..... got me worried a bit now. How do i take them out? Why would they do that is it expensive to replace? what would of been broke to do that?

Last edited:
I recon your right the about the YAW sensor. I've been reading it up it says brakes can seem like they are grinding and thats exactly whats happening to my car recently. I thought it was just a binding brake. MAN! :( they expensive? what and where i replace here?

Last edited:
The ESP light is an LED bulb so it will be a nightmare to change, good luck with it sorting it tho

Is it dangerous to drive with a faulty or broken YAW sensor?

dude the esp light should come on and go off with the other lights as you turn the engine on, so my thoughts echo that of the others either the bulbs gone (in one way or another) or there will be a bit of tape on the clocks

Last edited:
Before you remove the cluster try and get the car scanned for faults. Disturbing the cluster can sometimes ruin the DIS (displaying centre on cluster).

A faulty yaw rate sensor will turn the esp off, i do that in my car as soon as a get in

If you do remove the cluster be gentle, a display without any broken lines in it is something to be proud of :)

Sometimes at slow speeds when i turn the diff seems to clunk! and on IGNITION my car makes a weird sucking noise at the rear continuously. Now every time i drive it seems like there is a pad rubbing against a disk....

just been reading this thread and where do you get the led bulbs from and how do you fit them ..

just been reading this thread and where do you get the led bulbs from and how do you fit them ..

IIRC theres two type of instrument cluster. One with 2 plugs at the back, and one with 3 plugs (S3/1.8T). With the cluster opened up, the earlier ones pre 2001 are easily serviceble as the needles pulls off, and the front plate can come off which gives you access to the PCB. The LED is a SMT type, but size and brightness needs to be checked when its desoldered from the board. Late 2001 has needles which you cannot pull off, it is attached into a dial tube which clamps both top and bottom together, I have not found a way to get access into the PCB as it is plastic moulded. Procedure will be the same if you can get access.

Cheers
Gavin

ok mine is a 2001 y s3 its got the 3 plugs in back green pink and white..

are the bulbs just pushed into the board or soldered ect.. also any idea where i can get these bulbs i only need them for the esp light on clocks

Last edited:
any one had to replace the bulbs in there clocks.. that might know the answer